The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch

• I have linked all relevant details if you want to delve into the disaster that is EA and their Battlefront 2 launch. First they sneak in the anti consumer practice of pay 2 win in a fully priced game. Then they add a microtransaction to lock Darth Vader behind a paywall. Now they're no longer giving refunds for the game on Origin and it takes an hour or more to just get the refund. EA is finally getting the backlash they deserve in my opinion. What do you think?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7cukkt/ea_has_removed_the_refund_button_from_their/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cm1hh/heres_a_quick_link_to_cancel_your_star_wars/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cnwfq/this_just_appeared_in_the_bf2_store/
    http://archive.is/L6fLc

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/7cl8rp/this_is_why_ea_keeps_doing_what_theyre_doing/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7cj4ke/update_from_star_wars_battlefront_2s_design/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7chla9/ea_developers_respond_to_the_battlefront_2_40/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7cm1lq/star_wars_battlefront_ii_hero_price_reduced/
    Edit: i found the Frame Trap that was released
    Youtube Video

Update on a few new articles:
    http://archive.is/9eniY

• I'm sick of morons threatening developers with death, but this is a multi-billion dollar industry so there are certainly millions of idiots who do not understand how to act in society.

Regardless, people need to just put these companies (like EA) on timeout. They are making the "Transformers" of video games. Look good and lack substance. Non issue for me because I don't care to play what I know won't be good.

• They're not not giving refunds. More than likely the demanding that's hitting their refund system has effectively DDOS'ed it. Say what you want about Battlefront 2's monetisation strategy but EAs Customer Support has always been excellent, and I don't believe for a second that that fact has changed over this game.

• Global Moderator

This is just so sad to see on so many levels.

I will never ever ever ever understand the people that death threatens other human being for video games. I mean its "just" a game after all and there is so much hard work, sweat and tears that goes into a production.

That said, to me it feels like EA have dragged this game beyond repair and this shit storm that comes with it is something that I dont think even EA was ready for. Im kinda hoping that this will teach them to pull back on the whole lootbox microtransaction area.

I have decided to not buy any EA games... until TF3 comes out and we will see how they handle that, but other than that I will stay away from EA games.

• Im happy to see the impact this is potentially making and I hope it shows in sales. Now, I know there is a lot of hard working ppl behind this, but this isn't what it's about. Far to often I see customers complain but never fallow through, hence why we are in this situation in the first place. Publishers have been in to much control and it's nice to see some change from the consumers.

• Hot Take: You don't deserve a refund if you preorder a game. gotta learn your lesson someday.

I'm glad people are finally catching on at least even if it should have happened 5 years ago.

• @Rock There are ways to make people learn their lesson without doing something as horribly anti-consumerist as disallowing refunds on pre-orders.

I still think the scummiest thing I've seen in years (even more than this stuff) was when Sonic Mania had Denuvo on PC without being announced before launch, and due to Sega giving a free copy of the first game that unlocked two weeks beforehand most people were unable to refund it as a result.

• Banned

@DeweyDTruman I think people were more upset that it originally used the highest level of denuvo requiring online access at all times which they later fixed.

• @Lotias agreed, i think death threats are stupid, i do however back gamers that it's minority of gamers that do that

• Distaster seems like a understatement, I think we're about to witness a tire fire.
    Almost surprised no one has started a petition saying something like "Disney needs to revoke EA' s license for Star Wars" or something

• Global Moderator

@DMCMaster Haha I was actually thinking about it, but seemed so much work, so I will stay with just not buying any EA games.

• @DMCMaster what would be a better word then? Cataclysmic launch?

• Battlefront 2 is not the forefront of their blunders. It really isn't.

• Cancelled C&C
    • Visceral goes bye-bye
    • Dungeon Keeper comes back....as a bad mobile game
    • Dead Space 3
    • Mass Effect Andromeda
    • Sim City reboot launch disaster
    • Spore/DarkSpore
    • Multiplayer Passes (Head canon tells me EA started that whole thing, I could be wrong)
    • Battlefield Hardline

I can go on and on and on, they screw up ALL the time. in the grand scheme of things SWBF2 is a drop in the ocean, it'll still sell multimillions regardless of all this, you'll be surprised at how many people don't use social media for gaming, don't go on reddit, etc.

Trolling them on reddit and sending death threats does NOTHING. Literally nothing. You might get a few kneejerk reactions but the grander scope of the game will remain unchanged, it's also not acceptable, all it ends up doing is giving them MORE attention, FREE advertising. It also gives them a very skewed view on what the playerbase at large ACTUALLY wants, this is a major problem that blizzard is currently going through with Overwatch via it's reporting system and overall balance of the game, because they take the very vocal minority too seriously.

And yes, I said vocal minority. You think 200k random people jumping the bandwagon to downvote EA on reddit meant something? People who by and large probably don't play video games, or don't care about SWBF2 and just wanna "Stick it to the man" really mean something? It doesn't. 12 MILLION+ people bought the original SWBF, you're NOTHING in the midst of that.

What actually works is not pre-ordering, not buying. Period.

And you know what? Now this is anecdotal but in my area those $80 special editions for this game that came out monday night are sold out within 25 miles of my location, SOLD OUT! This is an edition that offers a lot of lame attachments and minor things but is more or less $20 extra to play the game 3 days early and it STILL SOLD OUT!

In the end the people who're going to complain the most over the next week will have already bought the game, you're already on the hook.

TL;DR Don't want this to continue? Don't buy the game, stop pre-ordering.

• With Star Wars Battlefront II, I was extremely excited. Especially for the single player campaign. Day one purchase. I mean STAR WARS! And the first Battlefront appealed to me because of its simplicity and easy to play.

But now? Well....

I played the beta (after trying for two or three days). Played three matches (one for each available mode). I hated it. It took away how I played with the implementation of the class system, so I couldn't use a soldier with my blaster and abilities of choice. The game is not friendly in its gameplay design with un-intuitive controls and terrible mode design (Can't remember the objective mode name. Had to get a thing to a place structure), so instead of occasional multiplayer, no longer.

Then the microtransactions plan came to light.

This caused me to go from "Day One" to "Well maybe a month after launch." I still would not ever drop a penny on any single microtransaction, but at least there's Single Player. Then I learned about heroes being locked behind a gaudy amount of game time.

And despite the 75 percent cut... No. No longer. I can't in good conscience buy this game for any reason. A campaign for about 5-7 hours, especially from what I'm starting to hear shows its hand early can't be enough for me with all these terrible practices.

Star Wars on its own isn't enough to buy ASAP anymore.

I find it so... irritating... that EA has developers under its umbrella with interesting ideas and there are ALWAYS things in EA games that infuriate me.

Shaky servers requiring to be online. Forcing developers to require microtransactions. The refusal to commit resources where needed. Mandating every game have Frostbite. Expectations being every game needs to be another Destiny or Call of Duty.

I'm really pulling for someone else, besides Activision, getting the Star Wars license. But here's the thing: That won't happen. Disney is a company first and foremost, so they'll re-up the deal, or go to Activision.

Battlefront II WAS the last game this year I was looking forward to, if nothing more than the campaign, but all of this tone deaf messaging and not stellar sentiment about the campaign have made this a hard stop. Anthem is the ONLY other game from EA I'm interested in, but to be honest, I expect all kinds of bad news about it before it releases and drops out of my interests.

• @ZyloWolfBane Mass Effect 3 ending and Dragon Age Inquisition

• @Brannox said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

With Star Wars Battlefront II, I was extremely excited. Especially for the single player campaign. Day one purchase. I mean STAR WARS! And the first Battlefront appealed to me because of its simplicity and easy to play.

But now? Well....

I played the beta (after trying for two or three days). Played three matches (one for each available mode). I hated it. It took away how I played with the implementation of the class system, so I couldn't use a soldier with my blaster and abilities of choice. The game is not friendly in its gameplay design with un-intuitive controls and terrible mode design (Can't remember the objective mode name. Had to get a thing to a place structure), so instead of occasional multiplayer, no longer.

Then the microtransactions plan came to light.

This caused me to go from "Day One" to "Well maybe a month after launch." I still would not ever drop a penny on any single microtransaction, but at least there's Single Player. Then I learned about heroes being locked behind a gaudy amount of game time.

And despite the 75 percent cut... No. No longer. I can't in good conscience buy this game for any reason. A campaign for about 5-7 hours, especially from what I'm starting to hear shows its hand early can't be enough for me with all these terrible practices.

Star Wars on its own isn't enough to buy ASAP anymore.

I find it so... irritating... that EA has developers under its umbrella with interesting ideas and there are ALWAYS things in EA games that infuriate me.

Shaky servers requiring to be online. Forcing developers to require microtransactions. The refusal to commit resources where needed. Mandating every game have Frostbite. Expectations being every game needs to be another Destiny or Call of Duty.

I'm really pulling for someone else, besides Activision, getting the Star Wars license. But here's the thing: That won't happen. Disney is a company first and foremost, so they'll re-up the deal, or go to Activision.

Battlefront II WAS the last game this year I was looking forward to, if nothing more than the campaign, but all of this tone deaf messaging and not stellar sentiment about the campaign have made this a hard stop. Anthem is the ONLY other game from EA I'm interested in, but to be honest, I expect all kinds of bad news about it before it releases and drops out of my interests.

It's a tougher situation for me, I'm a very VERY casual star wars fan. And I hated the first SWBF. But after playing the beta for BF2 I was REALLY into it.

I'm not even sure why, everything was just so smooth and fun to play. Being able to spend the points I earn through my own actions to become a special character was WAY better than hoping I'm in the right place at the right time to come across a hero icon on the map.

I WANT to play it, but I also don't want to be part of the problem.

• I must have not been paying attention during the death threats part as I'm not aware of that, obviously ridiculous.

That said I'm very glad to see a less than positive reception, hopefully, it will have a financial backlash as well.

• @ZyloWolfBane I like your point about being at a random spot for a hero token, but before the unlock cut, 40 hours to unlock the ability to play as Luke OR Vader? Not both? It's still going to take time for casual players to get one, much less both, so those willing to throw down the cash and those who can/want to spend all of their waking time grinding are going to have the advantage. I mean, thanks to EA Access, this is happening as we speak!

Since it clicked for you, that's cool! I really wished I had the same experience. The special characters playing differently from one another is kind of the point, but I have a simple system: Basic blaster rifle, jetpack, bacta bomb, and scan pulse. Easy to get around, to heal, and occasionally scout. Mixing and matching different abilities, having characters be slower than others, less armor than others.... Again, it's kind of the point of class gameplay, and I guess class based shooters just are not for me. Also, the one flying match I had was so confusing. I couldn't understand what was going on and controls were atrocious for me.

I hear ya on wanting to play and not wanting to be a part of the problem. But, speaking only for myself, I have become so sick and tired of this happening and the common denominator is EA. If it was EA or the developer who implemented these various policies, EA is the one constant. So I won't buy it. Not this week, month, or the rest of 2017. 2018? In the bargin bin? Again only for the campaign? I might change my mind. But for the foreseeable future, EA is not getting my money. Full stop.

• I basically co-sign what @ZyloWolfBane is saying here:

@ZyloWolfBane said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

12 MILLION+ people bought the original SWBF, you're NOTHING in the midst of that.

I don't buy EA games anymore not because I want to hold them to a higher standard of quality, but because the games they sell do not interest me in the slightest. I am a fan of Star Wars (the original trilogy, and a few games here and there), so the fandom frustration isn't very strong and so I'm on the outskirts of all the rage that people have when their favourite IP is in EA's hands.

I was very very disappointed that Visceral's Star Wars was cancelled because I believe if anybody can capture the original tone of Star Wars, it would be Amy Henning. This decision did make me act somewhat emotionally where I have fully committed to putting EA on an indefinite timeout, but in the end I wasn't going to buy their games anyways.

Fact is is that these Star Wars games are going to sell a lot of copies no matter what. It's up to us to just place EA on the scale of quality video game companies in this industry and realize they they make mid-tier games as of the past five to ten years. We expect so much, but why?

People have often said the following: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Is the onus not on us to notice that we, for some reason, keep expecting something other than a hollow or dry video game from EA?

• @Brannox said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

@ZyloWolfBane I like your point about being at a random spot for a hero token, but before the unlock cut, 40 hours to unlock the ability to play as Luke OR Vader? Not both? It's still going to take time for casual players to get one, much less both, so those willing to throw down the cash and those who can/want to spend all of their waking time grinding are going to have the advantage. I mean, thanks to EA Access, this is happening as we speak!

Since it clicked for you, that's cool! I really wished I had the same experience. The special characters playing differently from one another is kind of the point, but I have a simple system: Basic blaster rifle, jetpack, bacta bomb, and scan pulse. Easy to get around, to heal, and occasionally scout. Mixing and matching different abilities, having characters be slower than others, less armor than others.... Again, it's kind of the point of class gameplay, and I guess class based shooters just are not for me. Also, the one flying match I had was so confusing. I couldn't understand what was going on and controls were atrocious for me.

I hear ya on wanting to play and not wanting to be a part of the problem. But, speaking only for myself, I have become so sick and tired of this happening and the common denominator is EA. If it was EA or the developer who implemented these various policies, EA is the one constant. So I won't buy it. Not this week, month, or the rest of 2017. 2018? In the bargin bin? Again only for the campaign? I might change my mind. But for the foreseeable future, EA is not getting my money. Full stop.

Yeah the space combat stuff was a bit of a mess for me in the original BF, and wasn't very fun. Admittedly that was the one thing I didn't check out in the beta, I was having so much fun with the huge objective based mode, each class felt like it added something in it's own way.

I racked up SO many kills being a sniper droid on one of my last runs through the beta that I was able to summon heroes with very little downtime, which made it very entertaining, running through with Darth Maul or Boba Fett or even Chewbaca all felt really powerful.

Though I will point out in case you've missed it that the grind to unlock Vader/Luke is no longer a thing, people had him unlocked on the first night from what people have been telling me, without spending a dime.

Now...I can't say whether this is true or not, the currency seems to drip out very slowly. But I'm sure it's not going to be enough to convince most people either way.