The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch

• @The_Andredal And if you follow that Rabbit Hole that you just linked, you'll find the following response, which I've said in this thread twice now .https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7ctj17/ea_has_removed_the_refund_button_from_their/dpt5880/

"For clarity... the self-service refund option is only available if you have not been charged for the product yet. After that point, you can call EA Help to get a refund.
    Currently, you will be billed if you have pre-ordered the standard edition, and therefore would need to call EA Help to get a refund.
    You can read the Refund Policy and request a refund here: https://help.ea.com/en/help/account/returns-and-cancellations/
    Update: We realize that this system isn’t as clear as we’d hoped, so we’re working to roll out an update in the near future that will improve it."

• @Hazz3r and that's what i said... You need to contact the the costumer service... Which is bs

• @The_Andredal said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

@Hazz3r and that's what i said... You need to contact the the costumer service... Which is bs

That's standard procedure for any vendor that handles online video game presales. Now brick and mortar stores you can just walk in and cancel an order, but most other places that take online orders like Amazon for example once the money has been taken for an order you can't cancel it, you have to wait till it's delivered and then send it back for a refund.

Same goes for XBL and PSN, once the game is ordered it's a right pain trying to get it refunded, and it requires calling customer service.

This is also true of online orders directly from the company publishing the game. They all make it a frustrating process to do returns/refunds.

Point is...this isn't a new thing, and it's not unique to EA.

• @ZyloWolfBane Just because someone else does it worse does not make a good argument. Steam does this pretty well after all the backlash. That's the only good example i can think of in the gaming industry outside of physical copies

• @The_Andredal said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

@ZyloWolfBane Just because someone else does it worse does not make a good argument. Steam does this pretty well after all the backlash. That's the only good example i can think of in the gaming industry outside of physical copies

I'm not making an argument, I'm stating facts. You're trying to making it sound like a unique problem that only EA is doing, which is false.

And steam has it's own limitations concerning returns. They don't always give you one.

• How's the microtransactions in Battlefield.

• Banned

@Lotias said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

I will never ever ever ever understand the people that death threatens other human being for video games.

Because it's that easy, it takes literally no effort to threaten someone over the internet. If people actually followed up their threats then we would've had a 15 year old on-going massacre right now.

• @ib0show non existant compared to BF2, it's only cosmetic

• @ZyloWolfBane they still have a better option than Origin atm

• I did a visit once to the DICE headquarters for an interview with the 2d artist of Mirror's edge. I remember the corner with the soda machine very fondly. Following this news stories, I keep having this weird visions about what's going around that soda machine. Are people yelling at each other? What if someone gets sad? Did they know? I hope there is Love & Respect, even around the DICE soda machine.

(EDIT: If it's still there. This was 9 years ago, after all.)

Hnstly though, I still have problems imagining the reasoning behind this. It CAN'T be because they didn't think they could break even? I mean , Star Wars sells like horror merch in a Huber household these days. And I really don't see this game having a fatter budget (+ server costs) than, say, vanilla destiny.
    I'm almost all conspiracy now, that there is some mighty scary shit going on between EA, South Korean mattress factories, Putin, and the Star Wars franchise

• Well if there is anything this disaster is good for, it's the spicy memes and the mockery coming from other companies.

But EA will have success, the game will sell, the loot boxes will sell, EA will continue this path, because like ZyloWolfBane said, we don't matter. We who visit websites and forums, we don't matter to EA, even if all of us boycott the game (what I can't do because I wasn't planning to get it anyway :P), it doesn't matter, who matters is the average joe who's only exposure to the game is an ad during his favorite show/sport/whatever on TV or in the cinema, and he or she is like "Hey, I like Star Wars, and that looks pretty good, I'm buying that without reading anything or doing any research whatsoever about it", that is the type of person EA wants and cares about, the people who bring in the big money.

Also I read up on the story

and it's pretty much what I expected the moment the main character was revealed, she betrays the empire, becomes a rebel, blah blah blah, because we can't have an "evil" character just staying "evil" these days, NOT.EVEN.ONCE!

• EA Just turned off all in game purchases using real money. (for now)
    So.. reddit wins.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_na_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-prelaunchblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510882311688

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

• @TokyoSlim said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

EA Just turned off all in game purchases using real money. (for now)
    So.. reddit wins.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_na_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-prelaunchblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510882311688

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

But they're coming back, that's the whole thing. It's not going away. They're just giving people time to acclimate before throwing them back in.

• @ZyloWolfBane Which is exactly what I said. They are removing them FOR NOW.

• Watching this unfold in real time was fascinating.

But to build off what I posted earlier in the thread: This is a temporary band-aid on the biggest issue, but it doesn't solve the gameplay problems being reported:

Boring and uninteresting gameplay in the campaign and gameplay in the multiplayer is a step back from the previous game.

• Honestly, it just seems like they're waiting until the next gaming controversy comes along so the spotlight is off of them. I'm curious to see what changes are implemented but they've known this is a problem for months. It's always temporary solutions or scaling back on the time to earn things, but that never removes the problem entirely. When your whole game links progression to something that can be paid for (and was designed that way from the ground up), it's not exactly something you can just strip out and replace overnight. It's very strange to see people excited over this news, acting as though everything about the game is suddenly fixed. The problem will be coming back, just potentially in a different form. A lot of games launch and then add microtransactions in later so as much as I'd like to say this is huge news... it just doesn't feel that way to me. Hopefully everything turns out for the best, I just personally wouldn't bet on it.

• This was the biggest, most insidious MTX implementation in a full priced game that I can think of. The fact that they are backing down on it and say they are rethinking how they will reapply and balance the game based on consumer outcry is a good thing.

If they just drop microtransactions back in and it's still as foul as it is now, then it will be bad again. If they decide on something like a cosmetic only model, it could be fine. We won't know until they bring it back. For now, I see it as good news though.

• Someone on the EZA Facebook group posted this in response to EA's statement and it just needs to continue being shared.

alt text

• An interesting point of view on the issue (read the whole thread):

The big takeaway being: they DO have to care about us, the "informed" players who don't want to pay extra for loot boxes, because if we all bail and generate too much negative word-of-mouth, the game's population risks dropping too low and whales will lose any incentive they had to keep playing and spend money.

It feels like EA tried way too hard to make everyone pay to some extent, instead of being happy with the usual 3-5%.

In any case, I'm enjoying the drama immensely!!

• I think the Mouse might have had a very angry phone call various heads at EA.
    I have to wonder if Disney themselves will revoke the Star Wars License from EA.