The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch

• Well if there is anything this disaster is good for, it's the spicy memes and the mockery coming from other companies.

But EA will have success, the game will sell, the loot boxes will sell, EA will continue this path, because like ZyloWolfBane said, we don't matter. We who visit websites and forums, we don't matter to EA, even if all of us boycott the game (what I can't do because I wasn't planning to get it anyway :P), it doesn't matter, who matters is the average joe who's only exposure to the game is an ad during his favorite show/sport/whatever on TV or in the cinema, and he or she is like "Hey, I like Star Wars, and that looks pretty good, I'm buying that without reading anything or doing any research whatsoever about it", that is the type of person EA wants and cares about, the people who bring in the big money.

Also I read up on the story

and it's pretty much what I expected the moment the main character was revealed, she betrays the empire, becomes a rebel, blah blah blah, because we can't have an "evil" character just staying "evil" these days, NOT.EVEN.ONCE!

• EA Just turned off all in game purchases using real money. (for now)
    So.. reddit wins.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_na_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-prelaunchblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510882311688

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

• @TokyoSlim said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

EA Just turned off all in game purchases using real money. (for now)
    So.. reddit wins.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_na_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-prelaunchblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510882311688

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

But they're coming back, that's the whole thing. It's not going away. They're just giving people time to acclimate before throwing them back in.

• @ZyloWolfBane Which is exactly what I said. They are removing them FOR NOW.

• Watching this unfold in real time was fascinating.

But to build off what I posted earlier in the thread: This is a temporary band-aid on the biggest issue, but it doesn't solve the gameplay problems being reported:

Boring and uninteresting gameplay in the campaign and gameplay in the multiplayer is a step back from the previous game.

• Honestly, it just seems like they're waiting until the next gaming controversy comes along so the spotlight is off of them. I'm curious to see what changes are implemented but they've known this is a problem for months. It's always temporary solutions or scaling back on the time to earn things, but that never removes the problem entirely. When your whole game links progression to something that can be paid for (and was designed that way from the ground up), it's not exactly something you can just strip out and replace overnight. It's very strange to see people excited over this news, acting as though everything about the game is suddenly fixed. The problem will be coming back, just potentially in a different form. A lot of games launch and then add microtransactions in later so as much as I'd like to say this is huge news... it just doesn't feel that way to me. Hopefully everything turns out for the best, I just personally wouldn't bet on it.

• This was the biggest, most insidious MTX implementation in a full priced game that I can think of. The fact that they are backing down on it and say they are rethinking how they will reapply and balance the game based on consumer outcry is a good thing.

If they just drop microtransactions back in and it's still as foul as it is now, then it will be bad again. If they decide on something like a cosmetic only model, it could be fine. We won't know until they bring it back. For now, I see it as good news though.

• Someone on the EZA Facebook group posted this in response to EA's statement and it just needs to continue being shared.

alt text

• An interesting point of view on the issue (read the whole thread):

The big takeaway being: they DO have to care about us, the "informed" players who don't want to pay extra for loot boxes, because if we all bail and generate too much negative word-of-mouth, the game's population risks dropping too low and whales will lose any incentive they had to keep playing and spend money.

It feels like EA tried way too hard to make everyone pay to some extent, instead of being happy with the usual 3-5%.

In any case, I'm enjoying the drama immensely!!

• I think the Mouse might have had a very angry phone call various heads at EA.
    I have to wonder if Disney themselves will revoke the Star Wars License from EA.

• If you think an international corporation will, out of concern for its brand, print and release a finished product on discs and remove additional revenue streams... well, it hasn't happened yet.

• So basically "We removed the micros till enough of you muppets bought our game".

Also lol
    alt text

• @Axel said in The Disaster that is the Battlefront 2 Launch:

It feels like EA tried way too hard to make everyone pay to some extent, instead of being happy with the usual 3-5%.

This kinda makes sense but even EA cannot be this out of touch. There is no way EA, and especially DICE are surprised by this debacle. I mean, DICE has made dozen FPS games and now they are surprised that people hate pay to win. I don't buy it. EA/DICE thought they were gonna get away with this like every other time. Not anymore.

• Lot's of people going "It says it's coming back, it's still going to be pay to win, blah blah blah." are really badly giving in to confirmation bias at this point.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but every word of that statement points to the fact that monetisation will not be coming back in the form that it was in during the Early Access.

"We’ve heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we’ve heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn’t get this right."

They don't intend for the game to be Pay To Win, or at least they say they don't. This is now a quote that people can go back to and use to crucify a poor re-implementation if and when it does occur.

"We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning." "The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game."

The biggest change coming is customisation. So hopefully, they finally see sense and realise how much money there is in a cosmetics system for this game. Especially if they linked it with challenges like an Elite Vader skin after 1000 kills etc. A lot of people are pointing to the USGamer article from yesterday and saying that it proves that Pay 2 Win is coming back. Again "Accelerated Experience" can literally mean anything. It's practically what we're referring to when we use the word Microtransaction in any form. What is buying Lootboxes in Overwatch if not an "Accelerated Experience", getting lootboxes faster than you would otherwise earn them? It can mean anything from Cosmetics to Timesavers.

This scandal is a gold mine for news outlets, don't fall victim to them putting a spin on their stories to try and get increased traffic.

• I am currently reading "Blood, Sweat, and Pixels" by Jason Schireier, a lead editor at Kotaku, and his coverage of the post-Diablo III development at Blizzard was actually quite inspiring. The team was passionate about fixing their game and they explained how working in a bubble with the pressure to deliver better than Diablo II can really screw things up.

Within two years, fans were happy.

By contrast, EA didn't fix Battlefront 1 but just made a sequel. I wonder if they will spend any longer than 60 days improving the game before moving on. I wonder if he will cover the development of Battlefront 2 in a sequel to his book.

• @Rock why don't i deserve a refund if i pre-ordered a game?

what if someone else buys me the same game as a present? i wouldn't deserve a refund then?

• yeah you do