Game Questions

• I thought it might be nice to have a thread on here for people to ask questions about series they're considering starting. It could be a good way for people to figure out which games to prioritize in their backlog, and it's also just a good way to clear up confusion about games in general. I'd advise putting heavy spoilers under a spoiler so that people can decide whether or not they want to spoil an aspect of the story for themselves.

I'll start with a question of my own. Are the Final Fantasy games all part of one universe, or are they all part of separate timelines? How many games are connected to each other, if any?

• Global Moderator

@michemagius Great thread!

Each Final Fantasy are its own story, own universe and own charcters. The games have a few things in common though, such as moogles, chocobos and Cid shows up in each game in a form or another.

However, the games with 2 in the title are linked together though, like 10-2 or 13-2 are a continuation of that particular story.

• @Lotias Ah I see. I was a little confused about how the games fit together. I kind of gathered that they weren't chronological sequels to each other, but I had seen some characters like Cloud with varying designs which lead me to believe they appeared in more than one game. Good to know I'm not totally screwing myself in the story department by starting with XV though.

• @michemagius VII has its own expanded universe with novels,games,movies,anime's ect

• Global Moderator

@michemagius Yeah you can start any part you want! (even though I recommend 6, 7 and 9). But they all have different worlds but the more games you play, the more things you will recognise etc. Also all of them have great characters, stories and music!

With the terms of Cloud etc there are some charcters that they have put into other games (just look at Kingdom Hearts for example) But I dont think those are any with the main storylines to worry about.

• @FF7Cloud @Lotias Thanks for the clarification! And I actually own 7 already for Vita. I just had some trouble with the battle system during the first boss. I couldn't get down how to use the break system with any sort of consistency. But I might give it another go (after I read about how the battle system works), since I only ever hear good things about that game.

• While I find google is usually more effective here, I do like the thread.

I guess my question goes to the series Ganbare Goemon. I've completed the first game (mystical ninja) but what others are worth playing? And what's involved?

• @michemagius I agree with what's been said here about each being completely different sans some common aspects.

However, there are a few things you should keep in mind:

1.) If you are interested in getting into the series, only consider mainline entries, as sequels, side games, and a whole host of other games will confuse you without some base knowledge.

2.) Typically (But not always), the first Final Fantasy tried is the favorite to a given player. This might not happen for you, but it may be something to help your decision.

3.) Every battle system, customization system, world, story, and characters (except the many incarnations of Cid) are different. The way to gain money and experience, as well as air travel, becomes different by Final Fantasy X. Things such as Moogles, Chocobos, Airships, crystals (for the most part), saving the world, gil (money), summons, random encounters (Until post Final Fantasy X) all are a part of the series

4.) Be wary of what kind of game you are looking for. PLEASE keep in mind I HAVE NOT played 3, 5, 9, 11, or 14 (Though I WILL start 9 when I finish up what I'm working on at the moment):
    - If you are looking for simplicity in every sense of the word EXCEPT in difficulty, play FF I
    - If you are looking for turn based mechanics with a confusing leveling system, but easier and more linear experience, play FF II
    - If you are looking for a malleable job system with a somewhat slight generic story, play FF III
    - If you are looking for a story about personal redemption, a timer system to battles, and want to go to the moon, play FF IV
    - If you are looking for another malleable job experience with a more personal story, play FF V
    - If you are looking for having a LOT of characters, with deep customization options and fighting a psychopathic clown, play FF VI
    - If you are looking for a story of rebellion becoming a personal journey with a simpler but just as deep customization system, play FF VII
    - If you are looking for a story about "love" and time travel with a complicated magic system and a puzzling economy (in terms of accruing gil, the series' form of currency, and weapon customization), play FF VIII
    - If you are looking for a story about friendship and personal discovery, play FF IX
    - If you are looking for a more awkward love story that is a corridor experience for most of the narrative, yet has the truest sense of turn based combat, play FF X
    - If you are looking for an MMO experience, play FF XIV (I don't think FF XI's servers are still up, but I'm likely wrong. If they are, consider that as well.).
    - If you are looking for a more political story without random encounters and MMO style combat and a system you can customize to where the game can play itself, play FF XII
    - If you are looking for a constantly pushed forward corridor experience (Until DEEEEP into the game) with a confusing story playing tutorials 75 percent of the way through, play FF XIII
    - If you are looking for a road-trip with friends experience with really simple combat and questionable storytelling, play FF XV.

If you any other questions, concerns or need some clarification, please let me know! Regardless of which entry you play, I hope you enjoy it!

• @Sheria Technically not the 1st game but whatever.
    Are you willing to play games in japanese, as most Goemon games are not available in english? If not, your only choices really are Mystical Ninja Starring Goemone 1&2 on the N64. But stay away from the Gameboy version, it's god awful and a disgrace.

If you are willing to play japanese only games you of course get a much wider selection, with at least 3 more SNES games and 4 PS1 games, also a PS2 game which i can't say much about yet tbh.

• I'm all for this thread idea. I asked this same sort of question about Silent Hill in another thread not long ago. In the future I'll keep it here.

I don't have a question right now but I'll post a few suggestions for starting points in various series.

• Hitman Bloodmoney (then if you like this, you may be tempted to check out older titles which I'll say Contracts has aged better than Silent Assassin).
    • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    • Final Fantasy VII or IX

• @Brannox Wow! Thanks for the info! I really had no idea where to start in the series. I've jumped in at a few places but I've never gotten more than like 30 minutes in so I didn't really get a sense of each game's flavor which I think gave me a negative bias towards Final Fantasy in general. But I want to give the series a fair shake, since it's so clearly beloved by so many people. I already own VII and XV, so I'm inclined to start with one of those. I like the way XV looks, and from the few tutorial battles I played, combat seems fun, if a little bit confusing. But then again I've never played an Action RPG before, the closest I've ever gotten is Ni No Kuni and that battle system still had menus. I like the Japanese VO better than the English, at least what little I've heard of it, but I wasn't able to figure out how to turn on captions so I had to play with English VO. I guess which one I play first will really depend on how much time I spend at home versus on the go in the coming weeks. I have Thanksgiving Break next week which would give me more time at home to play XV, but in general I spend more time out of the house than in which might lead to me playing VII first. From your descriptions though, VI sounds like it's the most up my alley. I'm a sucker for big casts and deep customization.

• @Musou-Tensei said in Game Questions:

@Sheria Technically not the 1st game but whatever.
    Are you willing to play games in japanese, as most Goemon games are not available in english? If not, your only choices really are Mystical Ninja Starring Goemone 1&2 on the N64. But stay away from the Gameboy version, it's god awful and a disgrace.

If you are willing to play japanese only games you of course get a much wider selection, with at least 3 more SNES games and 4 PS1 games, also a PS2 game which i can't say much about yet tbh.

Ahh, sorry. I guess by first, I just saw it was #1 of 3 numbered games I saw on the Snes. I'm guessing there's no English patches at all for the rest of those Snes ones? That's a shame. Those are the ones I want to play really though, so I guess I'll see how I get on not knowing what's being said. I have no problem playing in Japanese, but I guess it will bug me If it's easy to get stuck as to where to go and what to do due to not understanding it.

I'm going to try 2 on the Snes. I'll let you know how I get on.

• @Sheria I played through all 4 (there are 4 but the 4th isn't numbered), the only one I got stuck in was 3, in 2&4 as long you talk to everyone it should be fine, if you're stuck talk to everyone again. Afaik there are no (complete) patches but there are guides if needed.

• @michemagius The thing about it is Final Fantasy all comes down to personal preference. I love the series but there are entries I absolutely despise. Yet there are many out there who can not stand several of the ones I like. It just comes down to what you're looking for.

If I may, how about "milestones" to check in with yourself to see if you are having a good enough time in going forward? For example, if you choose to initially play XV, get through the first chapter or two before deciding whether or not it's for you. If you decide on VII, play until you get out of the first city you're in (Midgar). That way, if either or both don't click with you, you can say you've given both WAY more than a fair attempt, and if it doesn't click, then you can hard stop and pursue other interests.

As far as VI, a good stopping point fails to come to mind (I do not have fond memories of it), but I'll say give it five to seven hours (this is a rough approximation for the above listed "milestones") and if you love it, keep going!

If, at the end of the day, NO Final Fantasy is working for you, then at least you've dedicated a lot of time in trying and it just isn't for you. It can be intimidating to try and jump in blind, but that's why I really like this thread idea.

• Global Moderator

@Brannox Thats one of the reasons I enjoy the FF series so much. It really got something for all tastes. Want something magical and fantasy style? sure go on! want something more steampunky? got that as well!

Also as you mentioned it is really fun to see peoples opinions on the different parts, some people love parts which I cant stand and the other way around. It feels like its one of those series that everyone should give a try at some point in their life.

• @Brannox Thanks for the milestones! That's one thing I think is missing in a lot of video game discussions and reviews. I know there's been a lot of times where I or my friends have prematurely quit a game we ended up loving because we didn't like the beginning/tutorial section. Like, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda, but I hated that opening. If someone hadn't told me to try and at least get to the point where you meet Midna, I would have never finished that game. And in a similar situation Okami. I was a kid unknowingly playing the game on my PS2 without a memory card meaning I never made any real progress in the game. I just sat through that dreadfully long exposition cut scene like 30 times and went through the realm of the gods a dozen or so times and got tired of it pretty fast. It wasn't until last year that I finally beat the game after I heard people talking about how fun the dungeons and combat are. And once I was able to get past the tutorial section that I hated so much, Okami turned in to one of my favorite games ever. I can't say that FF XV, VII, or VI will turn out to be favorite games of mine. But I'd like to at least see them through to a point where I can glean there total vibe and then make a decision, rather than basing everything on the opening. It just can be hard to tell where the light at the end of the tunnel is if your having a rough time with the beginning of a game. That's why I always say to at least beat the second boss in Persona 4, or to play through the second case in Ace Attorney, since by that point you'll have a better idea of what the rest of the game feels like.

• @Lotias Agreed!

@michemagius That's exactly why I provided them! I've had that experience several times, so I find it helpful if there is a point to be reached beforehand that is a good barometer on when different apsects of a game will be introduced and having experienced some story, met some characters, a decent to complete grasp of a battle system, etc.

• If nobody has mentioned it already, there is speculation that X is a distant prequel to VII.

• @El-Shmiablo I've heard that and its a fun rumor to think about, but I, personally, don't believe there's enough there to have that be the case.

• @El-Shmiablo i believe its cannon actually i could be wrong but i thinks in mention in the FFX ultimania