Game Questions

• @Musou-Tensei said in Game Questions:

@Sheria Technically not the 1st game but whatever.
    Are you willing to play games in japanese, as most Goemon games are not available in english? If not, your only choices really are Mystical Ninja Starring Goemone 1&2 on the N64. But stay away from the Gameboy version, it's god awful and a disgrace.

If you are willing to play japanese only games you of course get a much wider selection, with at least 3 more SNES games and 4 PS1 games, also a PS2 game which i can't say much about yet tbh.

Ahh, sorry. I guess by first, I just saw it was #1 of 3 numbered games I saw on the Snes. I'm guessing there's no English patches at all for the rest of those Snes ones? That's a shame. Those are the ones I want to play really though, so I guess I'll see how I get on not knowing what's being said. I have no problem playing in Japanese, but I guess it will bug me If it's easy to get stuck as to where to go and what to do due to not understanding it.

I'm going to try 2 on the Snes. I'll let you know how I get on.

• @Sheria I played through all 4 (there are 4 but the 4th isn't numbered), the only one I got stuck in was 3, in 2&4 as long you talk to everyone it should be fine, if you're stuck talk to everyone again. Afaik there are no (complete) patches but there are guides if needed.

• @michemagius The thing about it is Final Fantasy all comes down to personal preference. I love the series but there are entries I absolutely despise. Yet there are many out there who can not stand several of the ones I like. It just comes down to what you're looking for.

If I may, how about "milestones" to check in with yourself to see if you are having a good enough time in going forward? For example, if you choose to initially play XV, get through the first chapter or two before deciding whether or not it's for you. If you decide on VII, play until you get out of the first city you're in (Midgar). That way, if either or both don't click with you, you can say you've given both WAY more than a fair attempt, and if it doesn't click, then you can hard stop and pursue other interests.

As far as VI, a good stopping point fails to come to mind (I do not have fond memories of it), but I'll say give it five to seven hours (this is a rough approximation for the above listed "milestones") and if you love it, keep going!

If, at the end of the day, NO Final Fantasy is working for you, then at least you've dedicated a lot of time in trying and it just isn't for you. It can be intimidating to try and jump in blind, but that's why I really like this thread idea.

• Global Moderator

@Brannox Thats one of the reasons I enjoy the FF series so much. It really got something for all tastes. Want something magical and fantasy style? sure go on! want something more steampunky? got that as well!

Also as you mentioned it is really fun to see peoples opinions on the different parts, some people love parts which I cant stand and the other way around. It feels like its one of those series that everyone should give a try at some point in their life.

• @Brannox Thanks for the milestones! That's one thing I think is missing in a lot of video game discussions and reviews. I know there's been a lot of times where I or my friends have prematurely quit a game we ended up loving because we didn't like the beginning/tutorial section. Like, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda, but I hated that opening. If someone hadn't told me to try and at least get to the point where you meet Midna, I would have never finished that game. And in a similar situation Okami. I was a kid unknowingly playing the game on my PS2 without a memory card meaning I never made any real progress in the game. I just sat through that dreadfully long exposition cut scene like 30 times and went through the realm of the gods a dozen or so times and got tired of it pretty fast. It wasn't until last year that I finally beat the game after I heard people talking about how fun the dungeons and combat are. And once I was able to get past the tutorial section that I hated so much, Okami turned in to one of my favorite games ever. I can't say that FF XV, VII, or VI will turn out to be favorite games of mine. But I'd like to at least see them through to a point where I can glean there total vibe and then make a decision, rather than basing everything on the opening. It just can be hard to tell where the light at the end of the tunnel is if your having a rough time with the beginning of a game. That's why I always say to at least beat the second boss in Persona 4, or to play through the second case in Ace Attorney, since by that point you'll have a better idea of what the rest of the game feels like.

• @Lotias Agreed!

@michemagius That's exactly why I provided them! I've had that experience several times, so I find it helpful if there is a point to be reached beforehand that is a good barometer on when different apsects of a game will be introduced and having experienced some story, met some characters, a decent to complete grasp of a battle system, etc.

• If nobody has mentioned it already, there is speculation that X is a distant prequel to VII.

• @El-Shmiablo I've heard that and its a fun rumor to think about, but I, personally, don't believe there's enough there to have that be the case.

• @El-Shmiablo i believe its cannon actually i could be wrong but i thinks in mention in the FFX ultimania

• I've been playing Persona Q recently, and I've just started the third labyrinth, but I'm wondering if I should continue. I've been reading through discussions on various websites about PQ and have noticed a lot of similar criticisms aimed at the gameplay, namely:

• The combat system is unbalanced. Mahamo and Mamudo make mob fights a breeze(especially when you combine them with Naoto/Impure Reach), and offensive magic pales in comparison to physical attacks due to the high SP costs and an inability to crit enemies.

• The game starts to drag in the later labyrinths. I see a lot of complaints about the fourth labyrinth in particular.

Rather than playing through the rest, I believe my time would be better spent playing one of the more beloved EO games as I've never played anything from that series before(I'm thinking of starting with the first Untold thanks to a recommendation from @Sheria) and maybe returning to PQ later or seeing how PQ2 pans out.

So I suppose my question is, how do Etrian Odyssey fans feel about Persona Q? Is it worth finishing, or should I bail out while I can?

• @Zedoary Well I'm a Persona fan playing EO5 because it is an Atlus game, so not exactly what you are looking for, but from what I've played I do think EO is stronger in the gameplay department, but I was far more interested in Q overall, the last dungeon is horrible IMO, EO seems incredibly light in story and the enjoyment seems to be mostly just the combat and exploring, which I'm enjoying in smaller bursts.

In terms of PQ being worth it, I would mostly say its value is for the fans of the series and while I did enjoy the game I don't think it is vital in any way to finish it, it is essentially a fanservice game and if you are not the interested in it I don't think you'll miss out a lot, I enjoyed it, but Persona is my favorite thing and I enjoy the pandering

• I am (once again, for probably the third time) on the fence about whether or not on getting into the Metal Gear Solid series. If I do, it will be the Legacy Collection on PS3 and Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain for PS4 IF I like the collection.

So, MGS fans, I have a favor to ask:

If you could, to the best of your ability and without ANY spoilers (I DO know the end of MGS 3), please sell me on why I should get into the franchise.

Here are some questions I feel could help you in your advice, whether you recommend it or not out of fandom, personal taste, or a holistic approach:

1. The franchise is known for stealth. How much action is involved in the series?
    2. The storyline, from an outside perspective, seems incredibly convoluted and complex. How easy is it to follow once you begin and maintain throughout the series?
    3. If I purchase the Legacy Collection, play Metal Gear Solid 1 (I have no intention on playing Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, or the VR missions), and find that, at best, I'm neutral on it, or worse case I hate it, is this a franchise where sticking it out will overcome this (This is hypothetical of course. I could love it.)?
    4. How much of a time commitment am I looking at here?
    5. I don't have a problem watching overly long cinematics, but just how much campiness/weirdness/overtly strange content would I come across?
    6. Are there unique systems that I should be aware of?
    7. How does the Codec (Is that what it's called?) work? What is it's purpose?
    8. How much penalty do I suffer for not being stealthy?
    9. Is there ANYTHING else you feel should be known that I haven't asked about? It doesn't matter if its the most important or trivial aspect, any additional factors to be made aware of is greatly appreciated.

Thank you to anyone in advance.

• I think MGS is worth recommending because it's one of the few franchises or video game sagas that's wholly auteur driven. Like that series is someone. All of its quirks, obsessions, its fussiness and vulnerability; it all comes down to Kojima. There is a personal nature to the series. To answer questions:

•Action is involved in every game to some extent. There are a number of boss fights in every title (though stealth is often a factor in these as well). Action becomes a major part in 4 on; with over-the-shoulder shooting and more friendly action-based controls. Previous games are stiffer and more troublesome in their action, which leads to the player being more stealth-oriented.
    •The story will always be convoluted. Just go with it, it's a postmodern, melodramatic satire about international politics and the quest for individuality and meaning in an uncaring and chaotic world. I'd say each title is clear in its goal, but the finer details and motivations of all the cast members are going to be all over the place to someone jumping in.
    •Depends on what your problems are with the first game. If it's just something like the controls, I'd recommend giving 2 a spin, since it incorporates first-person aiming, and is a smoother experience in terms of UI and the like. If you hate the storytelling, the world-building, and all that, then maybe it's not for you. Also Metal Gear 2 actually rocks pretty hard, and MGS is full of references and characters from that game.
    •Most of the games are at least a dozen hours I think? A decent mid-sized length per title I'd say, though it's dependent on how patient you are in your exploration and sneaking.
    •MGS is strange, but it maintains an internal consistency despite how bonkers it can get. There are lots of Easter eggs that break the game world in different ways, but they're pretty apparent when they're just jokes. It can get very strange (MGS2 probably being the high-point), but my suggestion is to just embrace it.
    •Each game usually introduces some new element to the stealth system, but I'd say it's pretty self-apparent. The big thing is the radar, which shows enemy vision cones and lets you know what stage of awareness the enemies are currently in. Again, it's pretty self-explanatory.
    •If you get a call, sometimes you can choose to ignore it, or sometimes Snake just takes it. You can dial in frequencies to call---it's like a radio.
    •You generally don't survive long in open combat, so that's usually the reason not to alert people. There's usually unending reinforcements, so running away and hiding when you have an opening is the way to go. Some areas can't be progressed through in alert states also.

• @Ringedwithtile Thank you very much for the feedback!

• I've got a simple question about Kingdom Hearts: do I have to be a fan of Disney?

@Brannox

1. There's a lot of action involved. Some games are more about boss fights and set piece moments than stealth.
    2. The storyline as a whole is convoluted but when I'm playing the games I find it pretty easy to follow for the most part.
    3. If you dislike it because of the gameplay, stick with it because it gets better.
    4. The first two games are very short (around 8 hours). 3 and 4 are a bit longer (around 12). 5 is really long, it's a big open world with a lot of side quests.
    5. A lot, you will love some of it and hate some of it.
    6. I don't know where to start it's filled with unique systems, it doesn't play like any other video game.
    7. In MGS1 and 2 it's used a lot to advance the plot, a way for Konami to save money on cutscenes. In the other games it is not used as much anymore. It's mainly used for hints and easter eggs in those games.
    8. The penalty isn't big, you will never get an instant game over or something like that. You will enter an "alert status", you can either hide and wait untill it blows over or try and fight your way through it (In MGS1 and 2 this a much more difficult thing to do).
    9. There are a lot of great easter eggs, try to find some of them.

• @NeoCweeny I mean, the game is total fanservice for Disney fans. You don't need to know all about the movies to understand the plot or anything, but having an appreciation for the work will really help.
    Its like asking if you need to be a Nintendo fan to enjoy Smash Bros. It is an amazing game regardless, but it helps if you know more/have an apprecoation for the source material.

• @NeoCweeny First, thank you very much for your feedback! Second, to answer your question, kind of? In the first two areas you'll play in, there's more emphasis on Final Fantasy aspects, but EVERY world you visit afterwards is Disney related until DEEP into the game, and even then there's a Disney subplot. The very last world has a Disney boss, but it's a completely unique experience.

In short, I don't THINK so, but Kingdom Hearts is a Disney game with Final Fantasy systems, characters, and overall story structure.

• @NeoCweeny El Smiablo said it well, at least having an appreciation for Disney will give you a better experience.

Most of the worlds are pretty self contained and have an alternate universe for the respective Disney franchise, which borrows from the events in each film. So if you've seen the movie that world, and the scenario inside, will be familiar and if not they explain things enough that it won't be confusing.

If you really dislike Disney though it would probably be tough to get through.