Have You Ever Done a 180 on a Game/Series?

• I was thinking about some of my favorite games and I realized that I kind of hated most of them before I actually played them. Has your opinion of a game ever totally shifted once you played it?

• @michemagius I expected to love Owl Boy. The first hour was a joy. The rest of the game was not.

Can't really think of an example of a game I hated that I ended up loving though. I usually just stop playing games if I'm not having a good time. I know there's parts of some old games I hated, but it was always a specific part, like the Athletic Festival in Mischief Makers.

• I was certain that CoD WWII was going to be garbage like every other entry in the series since Black Ops, but wadaya know it's actually kinda decent. Having one of the most insanely satisfying shotguns ever helps.

I used to be of the opinion that Marvel Heroes was one of the best isometric ARPGs in the industry... then they released the Omega update and it killed the game.

• Ni No Kuni I loved it for thr first few hours, then it slowly kept showing what a terrible game it is

• FF 13 is probably one, i just hated how linear everything was and how much shorter it was compared to other games

• @The_Andredal I'm the opposite for FF13. I went into it thinking it would be terrible after the entire internet shit on it. Now it's in my top 5 FFs.

• Final Fantasy X. Expected to love it like all of the previous FF games but oh boy. To me, FFX is the one that killed the franchise. (haven't played XV yet)

• @Marketplace_DC This. Anybody who says that intense linearity, poor characters, and a nonsensical story were problems that started with XIII needs to go back and play X.

• I actually thought Batman Arkham Asylum was complete dog dirt when I first played it. Especially after all the hype and then trying the demo and not understanding the hype at all.

To me, it felt like stripped down stealth and stripped down melee combat. It is certainly both of those things, but I just had a misguided perspective. Where I was expecting for a more Hitman-like experience, or even to a lesser degree - a Riddick-like game, we actually got something pretty simple: boxy stealth rooms with gargoyles you zipline spam around in. However, I took it for what it is and learned to love it.

I actually love the backtracking and general progression of that game so much that I was beyond disappointed when it went open world. I actually hold Arkham Asylum in a very high regard whereas I found both Arkham City and Arkham Knight to be average games. I'll never 180 on those.

• Resident Evil 6
    At release I hated this game, I mean truly hated it, enough to the point I wrote a 360 page review about everything wrong with it.
    However last year when 6 got re-released on PS4 I picked it up initially just to help fill my RE collection, however on a whim, I replayed the game again in coop with my brother, and it's been growing on me since. There was a video awhile back that hit the nail on how it's grown on me I'll post it when I can.

• @DMCMaster I played through most of 6 with my best friend. We got halfway through the third story (Wesker's son or whatever the fuck) before we hard quit.

Not only is it a horrendous RE, but a pretty terrible action game. Broken mechanics, terrible setpieces, shark jumping moments every five minutes... God what an abysmal pile of dogshit.

FYI this same friend and I have played through RE5 multiple times together and we regard it as one of the best coop games we've ever played.

• @El-Shmiablo
    Guess you could say me and my brother embraced the sharks.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Have You Ever Done a 180 on a Game/Series?:

poor characters, and a nonsensical story

There's your problem. Combat system in X was actually pretty good, (not as good as 6/7/8/9 tho) but the plot just killed the game. Also, everyone has ridiculous hair.

@El-Shmiablo said in Have You Ever Done a 180 on a Game/Series?:

FYI this same friend and I have played through RE5 multiple times together and we regard it as one of the best coop games we've ever played.

I had the exact same experience. Me and my friends tried the demo; "It's not like classic RE but this will be the shit to co-op", and we were right. Good times.

• @El-Shmiablo We tried, we really did, but around the laser panther scorpion runaway train sequences we were like "Christ this is dumb, even for RE".
    Forcing ourselves through Chris' campaign and half of Wesker's was more than we could bare.

• @DMCMaster said in Have You Ever Done a 180 on a Game/Series?:

Resident Evil 6
    At release I hated this game, I mean truly hated it, enough to the point I wrote a 360 page review about everything wrong with it.

Is that a typo with the number or not? Because that's a book otherwise, and I don't know what to think about this.

• @Sentinel-Beach The hatred for RE6 is just that strong.

• @Sentinel-Beach
    That's no typo, I really did write a 360 something page review. Still have it on a flash drive somewhere I think.

• If it was a turn based rpg I've pretty much done a 180 on it, used to haaaaaaaaaaate turn based games and then around 2005/6 I just started playing them and loved them ever since.

• Every open world game that isn't a Bethesda game gradually makes me hate every open world game that isn't a Bethesda game. I've even gone into some of them with hope.

I mean FFXV was fun to mess around in if ultimately disappointing for its undercooked and weirdly anti-women plot. MGS V — open world and stealth did not mix well for me, it felt like that game was constantly asking me to hide in flat arid environments. I guess Inquisition was fun for an MMO, it had the same fetch quest problem as XV but more character narrative to incentivize continued play.

• pretty much any open world game i need direction. open world games give you too much to do a anyone time and i get burnt out before i even get to the main quest. there have been some exceptions though.