Sports?

• England - USA has started in a great way, this'll be a good game! 1-1 after 22 minutes now.

• @sentinel-beach with a Scottish mother and Canadian father, there was no result that could have satisfied me. Yet another penalty save late so that's exciting. I have to be honest, as great as it is to save a penalty and the keeper could easily have gone the other way and we wouldn't be talking about it, that was an abysmal penalty. I'd say the second yellow was a bad call but inconsequential. On to the second semi today!

• alt text

The 2019 World Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar start tomorrow. It's been a heavily criticized topic to even award the games to Qatar, but here we are now. Putting athletes in a literal hot oven built on corruption money and dead Gastarbeiter.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_World_Athletics_Championships

The weather forecast seems to show pretty rough temperatures for the next ten days, basically 40 °C for days and 30 °C for nights. (That's about 104 °F and 86 °F.) For this reason the most demanding and longest events like marathons and the race walks start at midnight local time.

• Women's marathon is about to begin in the Arabian night. Still 33 °C, I just heard, and the humidity is 70 %. Goddamn, could be ugly.

• Chepngetich (KEN) won gold while Chelimo (BRN) and Johannes (NAM) came second and third. Our Finnish duo Hyryläinen and Vainio crossed the finish-line 19th and 26th, respectable results in those brutal conditions. And when you consider that out of the 70 runners around only 40 finished the whole race.

• I love the NFL but these arbitrary video reviews from New York are absolutely killing the momentum. I sometimes feel like I’m wasting life watching this.

• @dipset said in Sports?:

I love the NFL but these arbitrary video reviews from New York are absolutely killing the momentum. I sometimes feel like I’m wasting life watching this.

This has drifted into something that every high level sport deals with, and the I fear the line of no return has been crossed. There will only be more angles, cameras, slower lenses moving forward - its truly a nightmare. This may sound hyperbolic but its killing the soul of sports.

• @miserableperson

I just don’t remember it being as painful last season of the NFL but I agree. Let the officiating stand, then go to the cameras as needed.

Like when a team is running a hurry up offence, and they make a first down, run to the line, about to snap, then refs stop the play dead to review the last one... like why? You called it a catch already and nobody challenged it.

I understand the pursuit of fairness but my god on a bad day, it’s reeeeeallllly bad.

• NHL season has started again. Not a whole lot to say since it's only just begun but I enjoyed the Canes/Habs game earlier tonight. Always love me a back and forth that goes into shootout.

• I was switching between Avalanche vs Flames and playoff baseball.

Avs are my team and they look as great as ever. I might put like $15 on them to win the cup for a $240 payout. It’s a fan bet but low key possible.