Sports?

• Thank you! Those were unforgettable three and a half hours. Both in a devastating way and in a thrilling way. The rollercoaster of emotions. The shock of seeing someone fighting for their live suddenly in front of you. I was paralyzed. Thank God he pulled it through. Then they suddenly decide to finish the game and I'm like O_O. And Finland gets literally ONE SHOT and they freaking utilize it! Those last 30 mins were almost too much to sit through. But they fucking did it! Three points. And everything's possible.

• So... first game from Portugal. A complete misery as expected but somehow we won 3-0. I hate our manager's tactics omg. 70 minutes into the game nil nil, Portugal playing super slow and he still asks the team to slow down. Oh lord have mercy! But it was a though game. Hungry was very defensive and did their game. Almost worked.

(I should have watched the Nintendo show instead.)

• I guess the trick is to hypnotize the adversary.

• Team Canada soccer has advanced to the final round of qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 24 years. Our national soccer team has made serious strides in a short period of time and they are going for it with a lot of momentum this year. My friend works as an equipment manager with the team so he gets to travel the world and witness this ascension first hand.

Canada is ranked 70th world wide but no reason to believe they can't beat some of the other finalists that are barely ranked ahead of them. Biggest competition will be Mexico (11th) and USA (20th). Top 3 in CONCACAF advance.

• @e_zed_eh_intern That's hilarious, if I'm correct he's a keeper here in Portugal.

• @phbz That was insane.

• @dipset said in Sports?:

Team Canada soccer has advanced to the final round of qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 24 years.

A Canada fact that has always interested me - they've only gone to the World Cup once in 1986, and scored zero goals.

• @E_Zed_Eh_Intern @Phbz @Oscillator

The conspiracy theory is that he let it happen cause the Haitian goalkeeper is from Montreal but I don't buy it. Honestly, Canadian's play soccer quite a lot but it's mostly in communities with like Italian, Portuguese, Greek, Brazilian diaspora.

Hockey and American/Canadian Football are by far the top 2 most watched sports on TV and I don't think many of our athletes strive to make it as footballers until the past generation or so. I think things will change, even our Nation Basketball is massively improving too.

• @oscillator They also won the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup after getting out of the group stage on a coin toss.

• @e_zed_eh_intern said in Sports?:

@oscillator They also won the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup after getting out of the group stage on a coin toss.

Checked their overall Gold Cup record - won twice, third once, fourth place/semifinals three times.

Kind of weak competition, though - the only time a CONCACAF team reached the World Cup semifinal was the very first one in 1930 (United States).

• Italy so far is my favorite team at the Euro 2020. (besides my bias for Belgium)

My least favorites are Turkey, Russia, Austria and Sweden.

• @neocweeny Was a bit nervous about Belgium yesterday - until they reminded me they are Belgium. Big game for Scotland today but I don't see them coming away with even a point. Interesting it's being played at Wembley and not Hampden though. I don't think England needed that extra push but I guess they need to protect the English players :D

• @e_zed_eh_intern We played horrible in the first half but I'm glad to see KDB back. What a return from him.

Denmark-Belgium was one of my favorite games so far. Along with Netherlands-Ukraine and France-Germany. I like France a lot more than in the world cup.

• I feel so bad for Fleury. It was an obviously dumb move but I can't imagine how shitty he feels right now.

• @capnbobamous as much as I want the Habs to win, I can’t help but feel for that guy. I will be curious to see how he is treated when he retires. Do Pens fans remember the Lidstrom save or Matt Murray needing to take over to get them 2 more cups? Do Vegas fans remember the insane consistency or this goal that very well could trigger the beginning of the end of this series? He was even a third string for Canada behind Brodeur and Luongo for the olympic gold medal team in 2010 but Canada fans will likely only remember his assist on the USA goal to clinch the World Juniors.

All that said, he has 3 cups, an olympic gold and millions of dollars so it could be worse.

• @e_zed_eh_intern He has been so good for Vegas this season that I hope something like this wouldn't define his legacy with the team, but oftentimes sports fans have short memories so who's to say.

• I'm happy Denmark is still going through. They deserve to be second in our group.

• @neocweeny I know it ended up not having an impact but that VAR call was just dumb. There has to be a better way to do this. And I know it may be the most objective on paper but the people upstairs sure seem to not look so closely at every call...particularly if it will go against Man United.

• Looks like Belgium will go against third of group F O_O

Just our luck.