Sports?

• @dipset said in Sports?:

My city might go crazy if the Raptors make the finals. I think it can happen. I'm not actually a Raptors fan but I'll support them these playoffs since I want them to resign Leonard. I just hope Toronto doesn't riot like cities tend to do...

Low blow, man. But we can't definitively say the same won't happen in Toronto since the Leafs haven't been to a finals since there have been more than 6 teams in the league. Not to take away from rioting twice in 20 years over hockey being the dumbest thing ever.

Nothing against the Raptors but I feel like Kawhi is just auditioning this year for a big payday with an LA team. That's a judgement of him, not the Raptors or Toronto. But I'm sure it'll be super cool to be there if they make it.

• @e_zed_eh_intern

I actually try to avoid watching the games in public because Raptors fans are basically just people who don't know anything about sports but are Raptors fans regardless. BUT what was lit was Blue Jays in the playoffs in 2015 against the Texas Rangers. I watched all of those games in public and nothing has compared to the Batista walk off home run bat flip. We all went CRAZY!

EDIT: To your point about the tryout season. I kinda agree but Toronto is the number 3 sports market in North America and they have enough money to throw at a top 5 player in the league. Not to mention Raptors are low key trash without him.

• All England final in Champions League AND Europa League - as predicted by Nostradamus in 2012 as he flew over the icy hills of hell on his pet pig, Jimmy Hoffa.

• Ice hockey world championship started in Bratislava, Slovakia today. And the Finnish team without practically any NHL players this time around beat team Canada, sweet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_IIHF_World_Championship

• @sentinel-beach

Back on an Italy and Czech Republic summer vacation in 2015, I saw an IIHF World Championship game in Prague. I think it was Canada vs Belarus. It was pretty much pond hockey for team Canada so the players weren't celebrating too much and neither were the Canadian fans, but those Belarus fans were insane chanting the whole game. It was a really fun experience to see how much everybody was loving it. I got baseball in Japan type of energy from the Belarus fans.

Then afterwards we watched the Czech game with the Czech fans in the beer garden and that shit was even more mental than inside the arena itself. I wanna say it was CR vs USA and both countries turned out hard. I get why international sports get serious and bring out the fans, but I didn't know anybody actually cared about IIHF thaaaaaat much.

It was a good time.

• @dipset I don't know if this is a fair assesment, but it sounds like what you generally see in terms of passion from Europeans vs American fans in general, or fans from most other regions really. At least for football (soccer) and basketball, which are the two I can speak for it is always the case that Europeans (and Latin American) show a lot more energy than US (and Canadian) fandom.

• @dipset Most European hockey countries seem to get way into the World Championships and Spengler Cup. I suppose both of them occurring during the NHL season (WC during the playoffs, no less) doesn't help generate North American interest. With NHLers out of the Olympics (for now), it would be cool if the World Championships could be during NHL off season so it might grow in popularity here and players might become more keen to participate. Then we might actually get an international best-on-best tournament again, rather than teams having to pick from who's out of the playoffs AND willing to join.

• @bard91 100% agree - or at least from my limited experience. North American fans are capable of getting hype for moments but songs etc. have been few and far between from what I've seen. I remember going to a Rangers game at Ibrox some years ago and the entire match people were up singing songs about Celtic - against whom they were NOT playing. I recently saw a video of a basketball crowd in Europe compared to an American one, it was funny. They just do fandom right over there. Minus the violence.

• @sentinel-beach Finland came close to taking another one today. Sorry to see them ultimately fall to the US but wins over Canada and Slovakia still have them in a real good spot. I hope they can keep it up!

Canada has the host Slovakia today and I almost hope they lose just for the home crowd (almost).

• Hmmmmm we take our sports really serious over here, but we have all of the pro leagues and more. Usually the international games aren't as high caliber so we don't care unless its for unfettered patriotism like the Olympics. I still don't care about the Olympics but everybody else does for 2 weeks. Then suddenly everybody roots for their great great grandma's home nation.

I think we're spoiled though. We have EVERYTHING in the major cities. Not just sports. Plus a place like Prague makes it easy to go see a game with their modern subway system and all. I can't help but be annoyed with our slow ass public transit just to see a team shit the bed. Spend all day commuting, pay and arm and a leg just to see a blowout baseball game. Hard to be excited for that. I live in walking distance so its a non-issue now but I didn't always have that.

That's just my 2 cents.

• So the Penguins were swept by the Islanders who were swept by the Hurricanes who were swept by the Bruins. I guess (hope) the Bruins will get swept in the finals.

• @e_zed_eh_intern I sure hope so. Boston wins championships about as often as I get oil changes I swear.

I want to be upset about that sweep but in all sincerity getting to the ECF at all was a minor miracle for the Hurricanes so I'm glad for that at least. I think next year they'll show up again, and probably not as a wild card.