Animal Crossing Pocket Camp (Mobile)

• Who else has already sunk a ton of time in to this mobile game?

I honestly didn't expect to enjoy this game as much as I do. I played Wild World religiously for many years, and it was one of the first games I played on my own, so I have a soft spot for the Animal Crossing series. I then played City Folk, and enjoyed it, but didn't spend nearly as much time with it. It was difficult for me to keep up with managing my home and the town when I couldn't take it on the go. And then came New Leaf, which I was very excited for. I fully expected to fall as deeply in love with New Leaf as I did with Wild World. While I did enjoy New Leaf a lot, and thought the increased ways to customize the town were fun, I just had much less free time then I did when I was a kid, so I couldn't keep up with everything I needed to manage. I eventually just stopped playing because my save file was such a mess that I didn't think I could come back from it. Which is why I was apprehensive about Pocket Camp. I thought I wasn't going to be able to get in to it even close to as much as I did with Wild World, and I didn't think I would enjoy the controls on mobile.

Man was I wrong. I've only been playing since last night, but my first play session was like 4 hours long. It's so fun and addictive! I think that the game has just the right amount of things to manage. And making the area you control just a campsite rather than a whole town, makes things much easier. In a normal AC game I would want a larger world, but for a mobile game, Pocket Camp is just right. I love all the activities too. Catching bugs and fishing feel just like they do in the console games, and moving furniture as well as your character is very easy and intuitive. Collecting fruit and seashells is also very fun. Also, for most things, you'll never have to save up for very long. That game has you swimming in bells, and despite what people may have thought before release, Leaf Tickets aren't for purchasing things, bells are. And you can't buy bells with real money. You only use Leaf Tickets to make up the difference when you're lacking in a certain material needed to craft something (which doesn't happen very often, and when it does it doesn't cost many Leaf Tickets), when you want to use the quarry (which you can only do once per day), and to speed up the completion time for projects (which generally don't take long, and the ones that do only last like 15 hours at most, you can wait for that).

I do have a few complaints, though they're kind of minor. The inventory is very small. But, it's also a lot bigger than the inventory in the console games, so I feel like it's a weird complaint. Maybe I'm just collecting more stuff than is intended, which is likely since I run into this problem all the time with the console games. I don't know if you can store things in containers like you can in the console games. If so, my complaint might be moot. My other complaint is that Leaf Tickets are very expensive. They're the only way to buy the KK slider and Tom Nook chairs, which kind of sucks because they each cost a lot of leaf tickets. And if you were to just buy the leaf tickets directly rather than earning them, it would cost you like $20. Which I think is kind of insane for two chairs. Then again the game just throws leaf tickets at you constantly. I'm weak and impatient so I just paid up and bought the leaf tickets for those chairs, but I realized the error of my ways when I earned the amount of leaf tickets I needed within the next 2 hours, just by playing. So take this as a word of warning, do not buy leaf tickets. At least not for things that cost under 600 leaf tickets. If what you want to buy is under 600 leaf tickets, you can earn that very quickly by doing stretch goals, My Nintendo Missions, and completing requests from animals, which are all very easy. Like seriously, the game throws me about 30 leaf tickets every 2 minutes for doing stuff like picking up conch shells and using certain items.

So, have you played? What do you think of it?

• @michemagius said:

Catching bugs and fishing feel just like they do in the console games,

Fishing is close to the console games, but Bug Catching is completely different. No art of sneaking up on bugs anymore, just click them once, then click again when exclamation point shows up.

despite what people may have thought before release, Leaf Tickets aren't for purchasing things, bells are

Leaf Tickets are still the only way to purchase timed exclusive items like the ones that allows K.K. Slider and Nook to come to your Campsite at a whopping 250 tickets each. They're also needed for unlocking additional crafting slots, and since this game revolves around crafting constantly and some of the timers can be as long as 72 hours, you need as many slots as you can get. They're also needed for additional inventory slots, which you run out of rather fast. They're also needed if you want special paint jobs for your camper, but these are kinda lame compared to the default ones you have more freedom with. They're also needed to visit the quarry more than once a day, since you can use friends to get in once a day, but honestly that's a waste of tickets and not needed at all. Using them to speed up timers or fill in for missing ingredients is also a massive waste of them, so really just save them all for crafting slots and inventory, plus the timed exclusive items if you want them. Word of warning though, you can only have one of those timed exclusive items active at your Campsite at a time.

Like seriously, the game throws me about 30 leaf tickets every 2 minutes for doing stuff like picking up conch shells and using certain items.

Like most mobile games, it's generous at first with Leaf Tickets to get you hooked, then these dry up and all you have left are a measly ten every level and the occasional extra one pretty rarely. At least so far the game doesn't shower you in them in the same way Fire Emblem Heroes provides a steady stream of Orbs. That might change in the future, but right now you should absolutely be very conservative with your Leaf Tickets as mentioned above. I wouldn't recommend buying them as you did either, because as you mentioned they're extremely expensive. Nintendo knows this since they put a picture of Nook bathing in money next to the most costly package of them. Not even joking about that. Go see for yourself.

Anyways, I'm almost level 20 and will probably make another post later about my experiences in better detail with the game so far as well as a code for whoever wants to add me, but for now heed my warning and spend your Leaf Tickets very wisely. There's lots of timers in this game, and it's never worth using Leaf Tickets to reduce them. Animal Crossing is all about waiting to begin with, so you should be used to the timers anyways.

• Now that I'm level 20 and got a taste of this game, let me just say this. Don't play this game longterm as your entry point into Animal Crossing. If you like basically what's going on here in your first few hours, go out and buy New Leaf. It's only 20 bucks now, 15 with some Black Friday deals. Yeah, you need a 3DS sure, but you can even get a 2DS pretty cheap by now, and I have over a thousand hours in that game so yes it's very worth it and offers way more than this boiled down mobile experience does. Hell, go buy a used Gamecube and Population Growing if you can only afford that over this. That game still has the best dialogue in the franchise and lots of things that make it special, just not all the conveniences New Leaf has.

There's a somewhat faithful Animal Crossing experience here, but it gets completely bogged down by being a mobile game with the model it has. Saps most of the charm from being Animal Crossing right outta it. Sure, you're used to waiting on invisible timers in Animal Crossing, but those timers are spaced out conveniently enough to where you can knock out all the important stuff playing once a day for 30-45 minutes. This game you gotta fire up every three hours or more frequently to keep continuing it's cycle as much as possible and progressing continually. It keeps you on a tight leash, and because of the always online nature it's very slow to get anything done in this game, even moreso if the servers are being iffie that day and loading takes forever for every little thing. Basically, it quickly becomes a chore with very spaced out longterm returns.

To be frank, the only reason I'm playing this is because the original pitch implied this will one day be tied to a core Animal Crossing game, and I'm sure that means there will be furniture and such you'll only be able to get in that future core Animal Crossing through transferring it out from this game. So it's less "fun" or "comfy" and more just something I've already said I'll deal with. I've read some guides that say you can basically finish what's here right now in just a couple weeks, although I'm sure that'll expand as it goes.

This game is gonna get gross too. Right now you're not too pressured to buy Leaf Tickets. I bought K.K. Slider stool for 250 tickets already, and I've expanded my Crafting slots twice for 80 each, and I'm almost back to 100. My next goal is getting back to 250 for Nook's item before it is retired. Feels doable without spending money, but what's gonna get worse is when seasonal items roll around for as limited a time or less with just as expensive costs in Leaf Tickets for buying them. Eventually it's gonna drain the free Leaf Tickets to the point where you'll have to buy to get them, and they aren't cheap when equated to real money.

So you know, just prepare for all that if you're going to ignore my warning and play this anyways. I think it can be a good introduction of the series to a new audience, but I highly encourage that audience to move on ASAP to a real core Animal Crossing game and not linger on this, unless they're also in it for the inevitable exclusives eventually. If anyone wants to add me for Quarry duty or whatever, I'll put my code below. The game tracks how long since a player's last login like most mobile games, so if you see me lapse for a month or so, just assume I've quit and delete me. The friend limit right now is 100 players. Sending kudos does nothing, but can fulfill some timed goals for you daily, more importantly check your friend list sometimes to see if there's shovel icons and offer help to those people. It will reward you with 100 bells after that player gets enough people to do Quarry, plus you're helping a friend get into an area where they can get easy cash and materials once a day without wasting Leaf Tickets.
    alt text

• i haven't been able to play any of Nintendo's mobile games and missed out on the craze but i finally just upgraded my shitty iphone 4 to a samsung galaxy S8.

does playing these games use much phone data at all? i remember hearing people say something about pokmeon go using alot

• @Yoshi To be honest I’m not sure. So far I’ve only played it while on WiFi. I know the game has data usage settings though.

• My only experience with Animal Crossing is with New Leaf, a game I played for two weeks, loved those two weeks, and never touched again. More than likely, this will be the same case, but probably for a shorter period of time.

There's nothing wrong with the game as a whole, I'm just not sure if the genre is meant for me. I love some of the animal companions I've invited to my camp but the moments where they shine are so few and far between. I've made a tart with a ton of them, smoked fish with a lot of them, made necklaces with a few of them. It was a genuinely cute animation the first time I saw it but after the 4th? The charm just felt hollow. Although AC tries to build a world you can immerse yourself in, I'm always able to see the seams - and these seams are much more apparent, with heart gauges filling up all over the place.

Animal Crossing seems to always accomplish a warm, fuzzy feelings few games can but mechanically, it's never done much for me at all. That's probably due to my expectations being in the wrong place and I wouldn't fault anyone for enjoying their time with this game - I just truly hope they eventually get around to adding more variety.

• Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is my first ever Animal Crossing game and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

To me, AC as a series always seemed very mobile gamey, full of waiting and repetitive activities, not really the kind of thing I wanted out of a console or even handheld experience. But this kind of playstyle has been really doing it for me when I can just put in 15 minutes at a time, in the bathroom or waiting in line.

The game is cute as all hell, I've grown attached to a few (but not most) of my animal friends, and there's an inherent pleasure (DOPAMINE) in watching all my little bars go up. Plus the drive to unlock all the furniture (even if not crafting it) is very real, and I expect Nintendo to add more over time.

However, even without having played other Animal Crossings, I can tell how much the game has been simplified. The repeating dialogue and frankly pitiful collectable variety make that very apparent. I think my biggest complaint is actually something that I believe is true of "real" AC games: not enough interactions. I quite enjoy The Sims, so I find myself wishing I could do things like play my guitar and get better, cook some stew over a campfire, or watch TV with my guests.

At the end of the day, though, it feels like Pocket Camp is a much more robust than the average mobile game while other Animal Crossings seemed much more limited than other console games. I have been playing the game vigorously over the past couple days, but expect to slow down quite a lot, especially as I'm getting real happy with my camp and outfit while simultaneously running out of space to put things. I imagine my engagement with the game will REALLY peter out once I hit level cap and meet all the animals, and that's fine. I've put $1 into the game, don't expect to put in any more, and feel like I've gotten much, much more than my money's worth.

4/5 Stars

• Bumping the thread just to say the Holiday Event is up, and it's not as Nook greedy as people expected it to be. Instead of all the holiday items just sitting in special tab and being "crafted" with 250 Leaf Tickets each like the K.K. Slider and Nook items, they're only craftable with a holiday currency, candy canes.

You get candy canes quite generously most times when you do requests for animals, and there's even some holiday quests that reward you back with most of the candy canes you spent to craft the item, meaning you can do those first and then use the ones you get back to quickly get to the next one. There are afew that have different rewards instead, so you'll still have to play lots during the next 36 days to get everything without paying, but you can substitute Leaf Tickets for candy canes you're missing when you're crafting if you really wanna pay to win this. I don't suggest doing so though. Leaf Tickets could still be valuable in the future. Candy canes can also appear as a quarry reward during the event, but essences are probably still more valuable as daily quarry rewards.

There's also a Santa outfit set you get through quests and just logging in and some Leaf Tickets you can earn for crafting some of the holiday items. All in all, it's as "fun" an event as I think you can expect from this game. The holiday items are cute.

• Bumping this thread once again, (as possibly the last person who cares but whatever) not for another event cause the current one sucks and is designed to frustrate you into getting Leaf Tickets, but because of THIS!

That's right, it appears new features are coming to dress your villagers in hats, accessories, and clothing of your choice as well as changing the background for your campsite. Pretty nice additions actually. The villagers wearing accessories and such was in Happy Home Designer, but you didn't have control of it if I'm remembering right, so this adds a nice degree of customization to the game. I hope this feature makes it to the next mainline Animal Crossing. As for the background changing, well it's a little thing but also nice. Every time they add new villagers we get more items and it's starting to lead to people having actually unique sites, which is good to see.

So basically, tl;dr: the game is slowly gradually getting better even if they're kinda testing the limits of how badly they can treat the playerbase right now, so at this point I do expect this to keep going and grow much like Fire Emblem Heroes rather than being tossed out to die like Super Mario Maker. Oh, and they're planning fixes for all the worst aspects of the game.
    alt text

• The update with dressing your animal villagers, the skill based slot machine minigame that runs off Friend Powder, and being able to ask up to 10 friends at once for Quarry help is live now. Other notable improvements include much less loading time all around, ability to place multiple carpets outside at your Campsite, being able to place carpets anywhere inside Campers finally, occasional balloons you can click on the map screen that give you random rewards including things animal villagers ask for, and animal villagers will now ask for flowers for requests sometimes but thankfully you can always skip those requests if they're a hassle with the skip button.

• I'm so glad you bumped this thread! I just saw the update yesterday and it's ridiculously cute! I love, love, love how when you level up the little camper rolls along. Adorable! Also also - the animation when you give them flowers they requested is stupid and adorable and all I want in life is to see every animals derpy perfume face.

In short, this update is totally my jam.