GOTY 2017 Discussion

• I don't think I have a final order determined just yet and I still have to play through Horizon: Zero Dawn, but here's what I know.

Number one no matter what is Persona 5. It actually dethroned Final Fantasy Tactics and became my favorite game ever made, so... it has to take top spot.

Strong runner-ups are Yakuza 0 and Nier: Automata. Following right behind that will probably be Cuphead and Pyre. Some of that may switch but if I had to submit something right now... that'd probably be it.

• Your lists are spoiling the The Official EZA Forum GOTY Thread excitement! (Out in January.) O_O

1. Super Mario Odyssey
    2. Sonic Mania
    3. Nier Automata
    4. Zelda Breath of the Wild
    5. Sonic Forces

Just of the games I played. Feels sad to not nominate a Mass Effect game considering it's my favorite franchises but BioWare just sucks these days, even if Andromeda was made by their B-studio at the time.

I don't really know how to rank these games honestly. Sonic Forces is not amazing or anything either, but I strangely enjoyed it for the afternoon it took me to beat it, having been out of interesting games to play for a while and not having the money to spend to get me The Evil Within 2 or Wolfenstein.

Oh yeah, Persona 5 came out too. Gotta play that as well, I guess. Odyssey isn't quite as good as Galaxy upon reflection, but it has, IMO, set Mario on a good course again and did many original things, particularly the endearingly weird story. Sonic Mania was also cool and I enjoyed it a lot. Automata is undeniably the most emotionally and intellectually riveting game I have played since the Mass Effect series was still ongoing. I was just invested in that game because the writing is so above average, and as for the game itself it's on the good side but also a little so-so at times, but otherwise it would've been an easy 10 for me.

• I'm seeing a distinct lack of Yakuza 0 in many of your guys' lists.
    I'd like to remind you that Yakuza 0 is the game of the year. You really should get on that.

• @TokyoSlim I've got no real good excuse for not having finished it, yeah.

• I haven't played any 2017 releases because I'm a loser.

• @Ringedwithtile Don't feel too bad. I've played a decent amount of them and it didn't change the fact that I'm also a loser.

• @TokyoSlim said in GOTY 2017 Discussion:

Yakuza 0 deserves all that GOTY money

that's a 2015 game though...

• ... soooo Skyrim, anyone?

• @Yoshi No, it was released in the west this year.

• @Musou-Tensei still came out in 2015 over in Japan though.

• I vote for Zelda Occarina of Time :3

• @Yoshi Not really relevant.

In that case, you think Persona 5 is a 2016 game too?

• @TokyoSlim Yep. just like Pokemon Red & Blue are 1996 games and not 1998 games.

• PS4 isn't region locked either so you could still play Yakuza in 2015 and Persona 5 in 2016 if you wanted to.

• @Yoshi Cool, too bad then that Yakuza 0 was not eligible for GOTY in 2015, due to it not being released here, and SIMULTANEOUSLY not being eligible here in it's release year because it was available somewhere else previously.

Looks like there are no games of the year this year. Sorry everyone! :)

Or we could always default to PUBG

• @TokyoSlim this thread is about GOTY 2017. Doesn't specify where the game needs to be released, just when. Which is 2017.

And technically both Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 came out before 2017

• And nah. There are plenty of better 2017 games than PUBG

• Persona 5, Yakuza 0 and PUBG are all definitely eligible for the 2017 GOTYs on the forums.

• If you ask me, as long as PUBG is out of GOTY discussion, I'm fine. I'm not saying it's bad game, but it's no GOTY, let's just put it that way.

And if you ask which would be more fitting for that title, here's some games that I would nominate: Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Persona 5.