GOTY 2017 Discussion

• @Musou-Tensei still came out in 2015 over in Japan though.

• I vote for Zelda Occarina of Time :3

• @Yoshi Not really relevant.

In that case, you think Persona 5 is a 2016 game too?

• @TokyoSlim Yep. just like Pokemon Red & Blue are 1996 games and not 1998 games.

• PS4 isn't region locked either so you could still play Yakuza in 2015 and Persona 5 in 2016 if you wanted to.

• @Yoshi Cool, too bad then that Yakuza 0 was not eligible for GOTY in 2015, due to it not being released here, and SIMULTANEOUSLY not being eligible here in it's release year because it was available somewhere else previously.

Looks like there are no games of the year this year. Sorry everyone! :)

Or we could always default to PUBG

• @TokyoSlim this thread is about GOTY 2017. Doesn't specify where the game needs to be released, just when. Which is 2017.

And technically both Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 came out before 2017

• And nah. There are plenty of better 2017 games than PUBG

• Persona 5, Yakuza 0 and PUBG are all definitely eligible for the 2017 GOTYs on the forums.

• If you ask me, as long as PUBG is out of GOTY discussion, I'm fine. I'm not saying it's bad game, but it's no GOTY, let's just put it that way.

And if you ask which would be more fitting for that title, here's some games that I would nominate: Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Persona 5.

• @Yoshi said in GOTY 2017 Discussion:

Doesn't specify where the game needs to be released, just when. Which is 2017.

Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 were both released in 2017 though. :)
    Therefore I agree.

• @Yoshi Either your lack of logic is astounding, or you're trolling.

• Persona 5
    • Yakuza 0
    • Sonic Mania
    • Yakuza Kiwami

Hoping to pick up Horizon Zero Dawn on Cyber Monday for cheap then I can add that to my list somewhere

• When it comes to game releases like Persona 5 and Yakuza you have to realize that these are english awards, so games released in english (as in when) is what counts. It doesn't matter if a great game came out in china, bolivia or japan this year if none of the judges could fairly judge those games due to the language barrier. If your argument is "Well why don't they learn language X then?" then you're actually saying that ALL the judges should know ALL the languagues of the world, because why should only X, Y and Z language be allowed but not A, B and C? It's not like japanese is lingua franca either.
    Was a game localized this year into english? If yes then that is the year they're eligible for GotY awards.

@jipostus said in GOTY 2017 Discussion:

If you ask me, as long as PUBG is out of GOTY discussion, I'm fine. I'm not saying it's bad game, but it's no GOTY, let's just put it that way.

To me there is no good reason for it to be in the GotY discussion. It's not officially out (as in "complete" in the devs eyes), it doesn't bring anything new to the table, it's not brilliantly designed or well polished. Yeah a lot of people play it, but that shouldn't factor into a GotY discussion where it's pretty much exclusively about quality.
    Besides, would you really want to lose out on winning awards for problems you're working on patching out for the finished version? Would you as a dev want to hear next year "Sorry, your game can't be in the running for GotY awards because your unfinished version was judged last year"?

• @suplextrain said in GOTY 2017 Discussion:

It's not officially out

Assuming it's not delayed, it will be a 2017 release. Granted, that's an assumption... but just for the sake of argument. Ver 1.0 launches on PC in December.

In addition to announcing Xbox’s XGP launch date on December 12, we also shared the exciting news that we’re on track to launch 1.0 for the PC version in late December. This has been an amazing year for us and launching both 1.0 on PC and on Xbox through Xbox Game Preview are huge milestones for the team. I’m incredibly proud of how far we’ve come in such a short time, but I’m even more excited to say that we’re just getting started.

I do think that anyone voting for it for GOTY though, will be doing so based almost totally on the early access version and not any late December release build. It's a weird case, kind of like Minecraft, which was early access for like 3 years.

I also for the record don't think it should be GOTY, but I'm just playing devil's advocate that it be included in the conversation.

• @TokyoSlim said in GOTY 2017 Discussion:

Assuming it's not delayed, it will be a 2017 release. Granted, that's an assumption... but just for the sake of argument. Ver 1.0 launches on PC in December.

Then it should be in the running for 2018 if anything. I don't see why PUBG should receive special treatment when other games that have come out in December weren't eligible.
    The only reason to push for it this year is if the devs think it will lose steam in 2018 and become even less relevant in GotY discussions.

• @suplextrain The reason we're having GOTY in January is to include December releases, isn't it?

@suplextrain The reason we're having GOTY in January is to include December releases, isn't it?

If we're exclusively talking about EZA sure, but I don't think the devs or publishers for PUBG could care less about that. When it comes to EZA though it's not like they've put down a set of rules/guidelines to follow so for that they could bring in games in Alpha state if they wanted to.

That said, personally I don't think PUBG did anything worthy of an award as a game.

• @suplextrain I have no idea what the devs or publishers think about what we (the EZA community) think about GOTY games. I don't think that's even a point anyone is making. Either it should be eligible because it releases in 2017, or it is delayed and is not eligible.

Not entirely sure what's so complicated about that proposition. lol

@suplextrain I have no idea what the devs or publishers think about what we (the EZA community) think about GOTY games. I don't think that's even a point anyone is making. Either it should be eligible because it releases in 2017, or it is delayed and is not eligible.

Not entirely sure what's so complicated about that proposition. lol

Point is there are no rules set in place so the game doesn't even have to be finished to be eligible, so even discussing if it's eligible or not in the context of EZA is pointless.