Overrated/Underrated JRPGs

• @Yoshi obviously I'm hoping to hear arguments from people with a similar perspective from mine about what they think about the new one and see if that makea it more appealing to me.

I have no interest in hearing someone say it is shit with no substancial argument.

• @bard91 how far did you get in one?

• @SabotageTheTruth 360 had a bunch of jrpgs, they were really making a effort to grab the Japanese market with vesperia, last reminent, blue dragon, lost odyssey , infinite undiscovery, and star ocean

• @Bigdude1 Cough...Eternal Sonata cough!

• Almost every post in this thread is like a little stab to my chest, lol. Tales of Symphonia, ouch! Xenoblade Chronicles, oof! Star Ocean, agh! FF9, ow!, Ni no Kuni, indistinguishable gurgling noises!

X_X

• @Bigdude1 In comparison, I wouldn't call that a lot of RPGs, especially when you look at the PS1/PS2 era. Unfortunately a lot of that list is pretty forgettable for the 360 as well.

• I did enjoy what I played of Magna Carta 2 on the 360, but that's technically a Korean rpg.

• @Minamik said in Overrated/Underrated JRPGs:

Almost every post in this thread is like a little stab to my chest, lol. Tales of Symphonia, ouch! Xenoblade Chronicles, oof! Star Ocean, agh! FF9, ow!, Ni no Kuni, indistinguishable gurgling noises!

X_X

It's not that the games are bad, they simply have some elements that are pretty flawed. Some people have an easier time overlooking it than others.
    Ni No Kuni for example has lovely music, nice visuals, tons of content, the amazing Wizard's Companion, huge explorable open world and so on. But the core combat gameplay and familiar system is clunky, unintuitive and not very well designed. Considering how much of your time will be spent fighting this becomes a big problem.
    So when a game like this is praised to the high heavens other people don't really go in with the mindset of having to overlook sizeable issues, which will typically affect their overall experience and usually leads to dissapointment.

Xenoblade Chronicles is another example some people tend to oversell a bit.

• @Bigdude1 I played a little under 20 hours of the first Xenoblade

• Calling things "overrated" to me just seems like a lazy way to write off something that you didn't get into personally, so there must be something wrong with the people who did enjoy it.

Personally, I had no problems grasping the combat in Ni no Kuni, and I loved the whole experience of the game, but I'm not gonna give someone a hard time if they felt otherwise about it.

Everyone likes different things. If someone really adores something, then it's only natural that they'd want to share that joy with other people. Look how much Ben loved Xenoblade Chronicles. Would you disparage him because of how much he loved it? Different strokes for different folks.

• @Minamik I could say that Final Fantasy VII is overrated, because I didn't get into it personally, but after watching the GT playthrough that Ben, Brad, and Kyle did, I can see how much they love it, and I respect that, even if it's not my cup of tea.

• People shouldnt get to upset by saying something overrated as its just one persons opinion (as long as they don't unjustly shit all over it) as its not fact. For example FF9 my favorite game ever some people dont
    like it. I find it interesting to why people think that. It doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the game.

• @FutureCorpse Having just finished the game, I get some aspects that make it really enjoyable. There are other parts that are personal let downs. But why I like the series as a whole is the ability to have as much breadth and diverse views as possible within each entry.

• @Brannox OK I lied that games perfect. Now I'm upset.

• @FutureCorpse :-)

• @FutureCorpse I'm saying, it's perfectly fine if someone doesn't get into something, but when you say, "Oh, you liked that game? It's so overrated." it's more like you're attacking that person for enjoying something you didn't. A better response would be something like, "Oh, you liked FF7? That's cool. I didn't really get into it because of xyz, but I'm glad you enjoyed it."

• FFVII is my second favourite game of all time, that said, I still think it's overrated. To be, it's a case of how it's viewed in comparison to other equally good games.

As much as I personally like FFVII and how it clicked with me, I cant deny a hundred or so other games that are equally good. I call it overrated though because, as we all know, FFVII just crops up far too much in comparison to so many others.

• @Minamik said in Overrated/Underrated JRPGs:

Calling things "overrated" to me just seems like a lazy way to write off something that you didn't get into personally, so there must be something wrong with the people who did enjoy it.

Not really. If a hefty amount of people claim a game is the best thing ever and praise it to the high heavens yet when you yourself play it notice some pretty glaring problems that drags the experience down for you (and that the people that praised said game can't even really defend when you discuss it with them) then to me that's overrated.
    This is why I generally don't like to say that a game is great or the best thing ever, but instead try and highlight the things I think are great about it. Otherwise you tend to set people up for dissapointment when their expectations aren't met, since if you're either vague or just praise every single aspect about the game people will let their imaginations fill in the blanks.

If I personally wasn't aware of this and went into Breath of the Wild I probably wouldn't even have enjoyed it half as much as I did. This is despite the fact that I think BotW has an extreme amount of issues, but I was able to overlook most of them because I kept my expectations in check despite people going on about how it's the "game of the generation", "open world done right" and so on.
    Might sound like I'm being too negative, but I think that being too optimistic just leads to more frustration.

Personally, I had no problems grasping the combat in Ni no Kuni,

With NNK specifically it had little to do with grasping and more about how clunky and poorly designed it was. The devs themselves realized this and changed it for the sequel. Even the people that enjoyed the combat in NNK wouldn't consider NNK to have amongst the best combat systems in JRPG history. Well, most people at least.

Look how much Ben loved Xenoblade Chronicles. Would you disparage him because of how much he loved it?

You can still make arguments for the problems with the combat system, quest design & structure, etc. In other words even if you for some reason like something or can overlook problems with a game you can still see how issues with it can bother other people.
    This is why it's generally not a good idea to try and sell a game to other people with words like "It's the best game of the generation" or "It's one of the best RPGs ever made", but instead try and highlight the things you really liked about it, the things you think are the game's strong points. For example "I think X game has one of the best stories in the RPG genre for Z and Y reasons" keeps people's expectations in check and lets them know what the strongest part of the game is. This would tell them to not expect an incredible combat system, so if they end up not really liking the combat system it's easier to overlook while if you like it then it becomes a pleasant surprise.

This is where the idea of something being overrated comes from. It's basically "false advertising", to put it bluntly.

• @bard91 i mean the combat system is way different, but like its more involved than that, if you had a hard time wrapping your head around it, 2 wouldn't be different.

xenoblade 1's system was really good, but if its not your cup of tea i don't blame you.

• @suplextrain like i get that you dont wanna really get into it, but when you just allude to problems without giving a example it's hard to see what your argument is.

ni no kuni II's combat looks way worse and i'm not interested in the slightest anymore.

To me It's hard to complain about xenoblade or ni no kuni combat systems when there isn't many other rpgs, western or otherwise that attempt to be as complex nowadays.

you might call it overrated, but nothing else stacks up for me.