Overrated/Underrated JRPGs

• @suplextrain I never said i was going to argue your whole argument, because the only pointed i want to talk about is elements of your argument, specifically your comment on weapon durability(which im not gonna repeat). i'm not gonna argue against your other complaints because they have some merit. I do not need to read your whole wall of texts when that's not the point i'm trying to make.

If i would though want a defense of that I would say Its a zelda game that is doing different things. Similar to the original Its trying to be more of a survival game. grabbing loot, managing weapons, a bigger combat focus. with puzzles as a side attraction to the main dish.

Why I didnt really want to talk about those aspects though is that I think its not necessarily the best route to go with the series. although the overworld is dense with things to do. I still think i prefer the Oot formula. I think a evolution of the skyward sword layout (with less rinse and repeating, more real reasons to reexplore areas).I understand why people like it a lot though. It is a very ambitious game that compared to its peers in open world design gives them a run for their money.This might not be as long of a comment as you want, but i think i got my point across.

• @Galaxy40k Can't agree with the characters in Xenogears being throwaway, certain ones like Citan and Billy Lee Black have really stuck with me and it seems like a lot of people dig Bart. I do however really, really wish the game would get remade and be given the proper budget for its scope. What happened on the second disc is an absolute travesty. I probably like Xenosaga more than most, but if that project was just focused on making an improved version of Gears.... woof, that would have been incredible. Just with less cut scenes please, Saga is ridiculously indulgent.

• @Mbun said in Overrated/Underrated JRPGs:

@Bigdude1 said in Overrated/Underrated JRPGs:

Take it ove PM or create a new thread (as I said), I won't help you shit up the thread even more than it already has been with extensive off-topic talk. That is if you actually want to discuss this thing and not just belittle me and stroke your own ego. But neither of you seem open-minded enough for that, feel free to prove me wrong though.

@SabotageTheTruth said in Overrated/Underrated JRPGs:

@Galaxy40k Can't agree with the characters in Xenogears being throwaway, certain ones like Citan and Billy Lee Black have really stuck with me and it seems like a lot of people dig Bart. I do however really, really wish the game would get remade and be given the proper budget for its scope. What happened on the second disc is an absolute travesty. I probably like Xenosaga more than most, but if that project was just focused on making an improved version of Gears.... woof, that would have been incredible. Just with less cut scenes please, Saga is ridiculously indulgent.

I think it's a shame that both Xenogears and Xenosaga (series) ran into problems with their development. Xenogears had the infamous second disk problems and the Xenosaga series was cut short. At least Xenosaga finished on a really strong note with 3. I feel that the Xenoblade series hasn't really lived up to the Xeno name for me, which makes me a little sad (in a way) that Xenoblade continues and the others doesn't. Not sure I'd call them overrated though apart from maybe the first game, but maybe that's more on me buying a little too much into the praise people gave it at the time.

• @suplextrain how is arguing against points of your argument on why it’s overrated off topic? It’s no ego game (maybe for you it is)

• @Bigdude1 If like you said in a previous post that they give weapons out like candy, then there really isn't much strategy is there?

• @ACardAttack there is, you just won’t be in a situation where no weapons are present. Even if you run out of swords for instance you can procure one from a enemy even if you haven’t killed it. Eventide island is a good example of being forced to use that strategy

• Overrated:
    Final Fantasy X - Great combat system but absolutely atrocious story/lead characters. In fact, all of the characters suck. Tidus is one of my most hated protagonists of any medium. English dub doesn't help him either. Also, sphere grid has only the 'illusion of choice', (even tho there really is zero choice) so I would've much more preferred a normal leveling system. X is the game that started the downfall of FF.

Final Fantasy VII - Never having played it when it first came out, this game feels extremely dated. VIII and IX are vastly superior games, in my estimation.

Underrated:
    Lost Odyssey - Even tho the story is cliché as all hell (and the kids are annoying) I loved this game. First and only game I ever 100% completed with a strategy guide on my lap. Leveling/learning skills works exactly like in FF IX so that drew me in even more.

• It's hard for me to say anything is over or underrated because it all comes down to personal taste. For example, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are games I greatly despise because the controls made it so difficult to get through. While the games are beloved and praised, the fact the controls are intentionally obtuse is baffling. But that's just a personal issue.

Another example of mine is Final Fantasy VI. A game I couldn't finish because my enjoyment evaporated the longer I went, I believe this is because it's a generational thing. I really feel if I was much older at the time of the game's release, I would have an appreciation for it. Sadly, I don't. No central direction with a too big cast, I couldn't get behind a single character's arc.

On the other hand, I could say Ratchet and Clank (2016) and Ori and the Blind Forest are games that are underrated, but that's just from my perception of general sentimentality I've encountered.

@Marketplace_DC I respectfully disagree, but the beautiful thing about the Final Fantasy series as a whole is that very disagreement and how many different people can have very different opinions about most of the entries.

• @Marketplace_DC I still try to get into lost odyssey all the time. I got stuck on the noob filter of a centipede boss and never really got the systems down yet

• @Brannox said in Overrated/Underrated JRPGs:

It's hard for me to say anything is over or underrated because it all comes down to personal taste.

That's my problem with the sentiment too. It's similar to say "you shouldn't like it as much as you do". Like there are a lot of games i just couldn't get into (like Witcher II) but I think its just not my type of Action rpg. I didn't play enough to really comment(got to like chapter 3 or 4) on it but i would never argue that its quantitatively bad without backing it up with actual facts and not just preferences that it didn't meet for me. I feel the same with xenoblade, I love It but I can see why people have a problem with its battle system or format (probably a lot people who prefer a Action Rpg like witcher).

Underrated I would say Fable Trilogy. It's a real cozy playthrough of all the games and although not overly complex still has a unique style and lore to its world. It gets a lot of hate because of its creator's enthusiasm though.