Brandon on Fireside chats with Colin Moriarty

• @logic__error Thanks, man, I'm not even neutral, as I said I really enjoy colins work and EZA. I just don't understand how people lose their minds over something so trivial, and the worst part is, the podcast was an hour long of Colin praising this community and EZA in general, and this is what happens. It's kinda embarrassing. Although I think you have every right to hate him and not like his content or whatever, just think you shouldn't demand that the content not be made at all. It's all so silly.

• When Shawn Layden's left hand and right hand touches, this community will be united by counting the seconds and all this will be forgotten.

• @JamboHyland95 Your opinion may not have been entirely neutral, but your framing was. You didn't attack, just expressed confusion and concern. It was a good way to open the discussion for this particular case.

I get where both sides are coming from, really. On the one hand, people don't want to feel like the Allies are being stifled from doing what they want to do and on the other they fear that teaming up with a controversial figure will have negative effects. Both are valid feelings, in my opinion.

I may personally think Colin is a jerk who seems to delight in creating controversy, or at the very least being a lightning rod for it, but I'm not going to go after anyone for enjoying his work or being his friend. I just choose to avoid his content and move on with my life. I have plenty of other stuff I enjoy and not enough time to consume it already.

I think people are getting the impression that I was super involved or vocal in this but I actually chose not to weigh in on the original CoJ thread or Twitter. I figured it was ultimately up to Jones to decide and I knew he was capable of doing that without me adding my two cents. Since it wasn't an official EZA collab, it didn't really need to be brought to the community for discussion, but Jones did and now here we are. I hope now that Jones opened up about it the community can try to work past it without holding grudges.

• @logic__error said in Brandon on Fireside chats with Colin Moriarty:

@JamboHyland95 Your opinion may not have been entirely neutral, but your framing was. You didn't attack, just expressed confusion and concern. It was a good way to open the discussion for this particular case.

I get where both sides are coming from, really. On the one hand, people don't want to feel like the Allies are being stifled from doing what they want to do and on the other they fear that teaming up with a controversial figure will have negative effects. Both are valid feelings, in my opinion.

I may personally think Colin is a jerk who seems to delight in creating controversy, or at the very least being a lightning rod for it, but I'm not going to go after anyone for enjoying his work or being his friend. I just choose to avoid his content and move on with my life. I have plenty of other stuff I enjoy and not enough time to consume it already.

I think people are getting the impression that I was super involved or vocal in this but I actually chose not to weigh in on the original CoJ thread or Twitter. I figured it was ultimately up to Jones to decide and I knew he was capable of doing that without me adding my two cents. Since it wasn't an official EZA collab, it didn't really need to be brought to the community for discussion, but Jones did and now here we are. I hope now that Jones opened up about it the community can try to work past it without holding grudges.

And I think it is hard to say you are absolutely wrong about how Colin presents himself. I generally like him and his content, but I also see why people see him as arrogant and taking advantage of his tweet incident. He has a lot of pride and wears it on his sleeve, so it can be aggravating when there is nobody to counterbalance his strong opinions. Perhaps I don't mind as much because I oftentimes agree with him and hold some form of confirmation bias!

I myself had issues listening to his old content when topics came up that I felt he was insanely wrong about and actively avoided those Kinda Funny episodes -- purely because I knew what he was going to say and knew there was very little discussion value among the other hosts who are not as interested or well-read on those respective topics. I imagine those disagreeing with him now have five times as many issues of disagreement than I ever had.

And I am glad we totally agree on that last point you made. I don't want a community purge, exodus, or grand schism.

• @Haru17 Lol, a "true sexist". It was a joke - one his wife laughed at. It was hardly meant to be serious. It was blatantly obvious that it was meant as a joke if you did any research about Moriarty before immediately getting offended.

• @Claus-Grimhildyr "If a girl said it was okay is can't be sexist. Everyone knows there are no sexist girls."

• @Haru17 Continue that imagined sleight and taking things wildly out of context to further your own narrative bias. You would fit right in with the GAF/ERA crowd.

• @Claus-Grimhildyr You're right, it would be much more logical to take the word of a single woman — the subject's family member — above outside observers because she's a woman and that's what sexism is about.

• @Claus-Grimhildyr said in Brandon on Fireside chats with Colin Moriarty:

You would fit right in with the GAF/ERA crowd.

Don't do this please. Many of "That crowd" are allies, including many people on this forum.

• Global Moderator

@Claus-Grimhildyr Just because it's a joke, doesn't mean it can't be offensive. I've defended Colin more than most when discussing him recently with friends but let's not pretend he didn't know exactly what he was doing with that tweet, and further along when he decided to frame it.

You're not helping yourself by generalising GAF/ERA. If you have nothing but digs to offer, than it's probably not worth posting.

• You have every right to be offended, but he also has every right to offend you. Just ignore him instead of trying to wipe him from existence

• @JamboHyland95 We're an internet forum not the secret police, no one's wiping anything from existance.

• @Haru17 doesn't seem that way by the shock and horror people display at the mention of his name.

• @JamboHyland95 Who is getting offended by who's speech here?

• @Haru17 both sides are, hence the problem.

• This has been going for long enough, but there's one thing I want to add.

Colin mentioned he has a Mexican friend who jokes with him about what's happened in the past, saying "I didn't know you were a racist". That's cool and all, but just because he doesn't get offended doesn't mean others won't. Generalizing is a big step to being an "-ist". Just as Haru said, one woman does not speak for all of them.

You can have your opinion and your own way to view the world, but don't pretend for a second that your actions won't have an effect on other people, especially in this day and age where internet has made communication so easy and accessible. You don't live in a bubble, you're not alone. That goes for everyone.

• shrek

• @Haru17 The biggest problem with that joke was that he had the opportunity to give his female peers and friends a bit of a boost. For someone who claims he's so very much on their side, he CHOSE to make a shitty joke instead of highlighting their necessity and value in this industry.

When people highlighted that, he went with the "Humorless shitbag" defense. Which was more telling of who he is as a person that the original joke.

• @TheHashtag0nist It has a lot to do with where he's coming from as an anti-Clinton conservative in 2017. The most damning version of that person is one who derides women on Twitter for marching on capital buildings in protest of inequality and a self-admitted predator getting elected, and that's exactly what Moriarty showed everyone with that sexist to the point of being passé joke.

• At the end of the day someone just needs to send this to Colin.

Mod Edit: Image Removed

He just doesn't see it...