A rant regarding this community

• @logic__error said in A rant regarding this community:

I felt similarly about your posts and we were just going to continue going in circles

Well just to clarify. You really didn't have a point. What you said can basically be summarized with: Brandon was the "instigator" and they should be better about handling these situations in the future.
    I can see why you could think that Brandon was the spark, but I think that's a strange mindset when the ones that actually turned this into a debacle were the ones flipping out and telling/threatening Brandon to not talk to Colin.
    As for your "solution" it's 99% worthless and not helpful in the least. It's the equivalent of telling someone to "stop sucking".

So it's not that I felt that the act of discussing with you was a problem, but what you were discussing was pointless (and in regards to the instigator, slightly misguided).
    Basically if you don't want to look at the situation and analyze it to try and locate where the problems began and how to avoid it in the future, then why even bother discuss it?
    But if all you wanted was simply to voice your opinion and not discuss then there is no need to discuss anything either.
    Hope this cleared things up a bit.

@Mbun said in A rant regarding this community:

ll I'm getting at is don't let others close-mindedness lead to your own

Always giving people a chance isn't really a sign of open-mindedness. A stubborn or close-minded person can use that to try and convince themselves they're not.
    The fact of that matter is that it's almost always a waste of time to engage in a discussion with people with extrene opinions online. I partake in discussions if I think it's interesting, as in to challenge either my ideas or the other person's ideas.
    If a discussion clearly won't challenge my ideas (like really, using threats to try and control who others should talk to is not exactly a side I would buy into) and a higher understanding of their inner mindset doesn't really help me (unless I was to deal with a similar person again). To convince someone with extreme opinions is hard. Even more so online due to numerous factors. So the chance of successfully challenging their ideas is usually extremely slim.
    So realistically what do I have to gain from trying to challenge the ideas of countless people online that don't really want their ideas to be challenged? Nothing.

So it's not that I'm against discussion, it's that I won't try and force people to challenge their ideas by starting discussions with people with extreme ideas. It's about saving time for things I care more about.

• Global Moderator

First of all, Just want to say to everyone here that remember to take a extra breath before you post. These threads have a tendancy to quickly derail and have people shouting at each other and let things get nasty.

This whole Brandon - Colin thing has really stired things up over the last week. What I can see though is (as OP mentioned) a vocal MINORITY that kept shouting and jumped at peoples throat as soon as they didnt agree.

To say that this community is poisoned I would say is taking it a little too far. Unfortunately we can't just right up ban someone as soon as they voice an opinion. What we can do though is to try and keep things on the subject, try and steer conversations back onto the right track and try and uphold the "love and respect" that actually are such a big thing in this community. I think that on the internet, no matter where you go there will be people that simply are after trigger others and/or are quick to post things in the heat of the moment which then ends up making things worse.

I am not saying that we should all just let things go like the wild west, but rather try to steer things into the right place. That said, there are lines that people can (and have) passed which is beyond acceptable. Threats are NEVER okey and never will be.

Also I got a little chocked that people made it sound like the world would end over one collab. Jones asked and we provided feedback. It would had been one thing if despite the strong opinions Jones would still of taken Colin in and done stuff for the EZA channel, but now Jones decided to be a GUEST on a different community, which he in my opinion handled well.

I will say now that I am not a huge fan of Colin, but rather than shouting at JONES for interacting with a person I dont like... I just decide to not watch the person I dont like.

• @Lotias said in A rant regarding this community:

First of all, Just want to say to everyone here that remember to take a extra breath before you post. These threads have a tendancy to quickly derail and have people shouting at each other and let things get nasty.

This whole Brandon - Colin thing has really stired things up over the last week. What I can see though is (as OP mentioned) a vocal MINORITY that kept shouting and jumped at peoples throat as soon as they didnt agree.

To say that this community is poisoned I would say is taking it a little too far. Unfortunately we can't just right up ban someone as soon as they voice an opinion. What we can do though is to try and keep things on the subject, try and steer conversations back onto the right track and try and uphold the "love and respect" that actually are such a big thing in this community. I think that on the internet, no matter where you go there will be people that simply are after trigger others and/or are quick to post things in the heat of the moment which then ends up making things worse.

I am not saying that we should all just let things go like the wild west, but rather try to steer things into the right place. That said, there are lines that people can (and have) passed which is beyond acceptable. Threats are NEVER okey and never will be.

Also I got a little chocked that people made it sound like the world would end over one collab. Jones asked and we provided feedback. It would had been one thing if despite the strong opinions Jones would still of taken Colin in and done stuff for the EZA channel, but now Jones decided to be a GUEST on a different community, which he in my opinion handled well.

I will say now that I am not a huge fan of Colin, but rather than shouting at JONES for interacting with a person I dont like... I just decide to not watch the person I dont like.

That last part is what I wish other people would take advantage of more as well, until colin's involvement with EZA really does create a problem it's really as simple as you said for right now.

I gave the podcast a listen to hear how Brandon reacted to him, it's not every day that He (Or any ally) is challenged on viewpoints because they feel like they answer to us, so I wanted to see if there would be a different vibe or viewpoint either from Jones or Colin that would possibly change people's perceptions.

But I digress, I don't want to derail the thread. There's no real source to the changes in the community, it's the same as people accusing Colin and his community for creating the toxicity people on the other side of the argument perceive. Which in it and of itself makes no sense cause EZA has been around longer than this one collab.

Either way. No community is going to have people that completely get along, that's a naive idea...while admirable. We can only do our best to try and at least be civil. Which a lot of people seem to have no interest in doing.

Even people who wish to remain indifferent or neutral aren't treated too well from what I've seen. Wish I knew how to convince people to just stop being defensive before things even happen, it's not productive and leads to situations like this.

• @MarceloLaborda said in A rant regarding this community:

but we should have encouraged them to take it down a notch, and given them another chance to hear them out. Instead, we ignored them, or worse yet, ridiculed them and isolated them even more than they already are.

To be quite frank, it's up to them to behave in a sensible manner. Sure there is nothing wrong with trying to reason with an asshat and that is admirable, but I don't like the idea that the sensible and reasonable people should go out of their way to try and reason with these people. That "we" should be better and always try and work through others problems.

Sometimes I even need a day to process my feelings and reconsider things. Does that make me a bad person?

Everyone can screw up, get frustrated and angry but it's up to you to man up and admit that you behaved poorly and were out of line. Sitting on your ass waiting for an olive branch before you admit that you were out of line is a terrible habit and mindset to have.
    Don't get me wrong, I often give people a fair shake but the problem lies squarely in the people that went out of line's lap. It should not be up to me to sort all of these people's problems out.
    If people start to ignore them because they behave like asshats then again that's their problem and a problem they need to sort out. It's especially annoying when most of the time these people just stick to their guns and don't see reason.
    Again it's admirable to want to reason and help these people, but it's also an unrealistic demand to make of someone. I feel that in a way puts the blame on the wrong party, trying to target their guilt of "Yeah I could've tried to reason with this asshole (more/better)". This isn't a friend, co-worker or something, but a complete stranger online.

As for Brandon I understand why he asked the community, but I don't think he should've. He shouldn't ask the community for pemission, especially when he planned on talking with Colin anyway. The people that got really upset, some of them resorting to threats and shit, still would've flipped out anyway.

@Lotias said in A rant regarding this community:

These threads have a tendancy to quickly derail

It has already started to derail. I don't think any progress is being done ITT anyway so I'll just leave the thread. I've said my piece in two threads already. Harping on about who is really to blame or whatever is pointless.

With this "incident" it's just people being people (read: people as a whole are "poisoned"). Brandon made the right call of talking to Colin and now this incident should be buried and forgotten because the core issue some people have is that Brandon shouldn't be allowed to talk to certain people, which is frankly absurd. I mean what would give you the right to decide who Brandon, or anyone, gets to talk to? I'm sure these people wouldn't like the idea of being told who they're allowed to talk to.

• Global Moderator

@suplextrain Yeah I agree, hence why I posted, Im willing to overlook the discussions going on for now, but hoped that my post would help people realise to take a step back wihout comin across to harsh.

I do agree as well that most things that needed to be said have now been said and the thing at matter can kinda die out. We are not Brandonds parents, who he interact with outside of content created EZA things, we shouldnt have a say in.

• I had never even heard of heard of Collin but I agree about ResetEra being a echo chamber. Guess this means Jontron is a no go for future partnerships as wel. Sad.

I do think Allies being guests on other podcasts is a smart idea. Maybe podcasts like Radio Free Nintendo would bring new members. Taking part in Gamexplain discussions could be helpful as well.

• @Lotias couldnt agree more. people made this a bigger deal that it should have been.

• @Hercule_ They've done a bit of that here and there, but none of them have really been super popular outlets as far as I'm aware. I think Ben and Huber have at least done a few.

• @suplextrain said:

Always giving people a chance isn't really a sign of open-mindedness. A stubborn or close-minded person can use that to try and convince themselves they're not.

People pretending to appear a certain way for w/e reason shouldn't stop you from genuinely trying to listen to and understand why people feel the way they do.

To convince someone with extreme opinions is hard.

You seem to be under the impression that the point is to convince them to come over to your side. No, the point is to explain why you feel the way you do, listen to why they feel the way they do, and have a clean break so the both of you can decide what to do with what you've learned. If you go into every discussion just trying to change the other party's mind, you're just pushing your agenda/views on others.

people online that don't really want their ideas to be challenged

Again, if you are talking to someone and feel like they aren't listening at all and are just using every sentence you type to try and twist your words into something they can use against you, you don't have to keep talking to them. That however shouldn't automatically make you assume every person you disagree with online will be like that before you even try to communicate with them.

• I absolutely love this community and the men who created it. They are a bastion of jolly antics and good, critical opinions.

That is why I think the outcry was a little much for me. The sheer dismissiveness against Colin was disproportionate to what he has ever said. The tweet that got him pressured out of Kinda Funny was not misogynistic, but he was labeled for it.

His comments on transgender politics and the theories underlying it were crass at worst but were overwhelmingly in favor of letting people do as they want.

Let us not forget how controversial comments have even appeared from the Allies themselves. The OP gave one example, but I can think of two more. I distinctly remember Ben using the word "retarded" in a stream long ago. Ian in a community comments video replied to a question about "the biggest lie you were told as a child" by saying "that God exists" or something along these lines. Most I saw were angry about the trans topic and mentioned how he discredited their existence or identity. Last I checked, the billions of monotheistic peoples in the world have their faith at the center of their moralities -- as a cornerstone of their existence and very purpose. Yet I think we would agree calling for Ian to be kicked out is a ridiculous response.

Both of these comments are incredibly off-putting to certain communities. However, none of us should EVER think Ben has a hatred or dislike of mentally disabled people or that Ian hates people who believe in God. Hell, Blood goes to church and can be friends with Ian! Why can't we see through the details of ideologies and instead look to how people interact with each other?

Brandon and Colin had a great conversation. Blood and Ian can. So can we.

• @Mbun said in A rant regarding this community:

If you go into every discussion just trying to change the other party's mind, you're just pushing your agenda/views on others.

Only going to post this ITT since you didn't seem to understand me. I discuss things with people to challenge my ideas and theirs, as I stated prior. Yes you can sometimes gain better understanding of someone in doomed attempts at a discussion but how would that benefit me? I don't plan on wasting time on these people anymore in the first place. After discussing things like this with people for over 10 years online I know that almost all of my time spent on them will be wasted for 0 benefit either to myself or them. I don't waste time on random people like this online anymore. When the people you're trying to discuss something with consistently resort to logical fallacies then you're not challenging your ideas or getting a better understanding.

Right now you seem more fixated with trying to guilt trip me into wasting more time on people I know won't listen or discuss things with me, for no real benefit.
    Well either that or you're trying to tell me I'm close-minded because you take things I said out of context, to possibly stroke your own ego/pat yourself on the back.
    Either way I really don't see how any of the stuff you're trying to push right now is relevant to the topic at hand so I won't comment on it anymore, but I hope I clarified my views a bit better for you and potentially anyone else ITT.

• This community can't even take a joke, no wonder Ian was divorced 4 times.

• I am not a talented writer as I struggle to put my thoughts into words. However, I would like to point out a particular post made by a member of the community over on Reddit about the dangers of the ResetERA community (many of which were very much against the Colin/Jones Fireside Chat, as well as the "Peach Beach Splash" incident) and I feel that it is absolutely worth a read as it says everything I want to say in a clear, concise, and meaningful way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UneasyAlliance/comments/7gy1dy/colin_moriartys_conversation_with_brandon_is/dqmyo1b/

I have to agree wholeheartedly with everything that has been said in that post. It is clear that the folks in that section of the EZA community do not care about having a discussion or acting in a civil manner. They continuously shut down and deride anyone with opposing opinions and act in a condescending manner. Openly insulting, harassing, and acting in the way they continuously claim that "Colin's Community" acts.

I genuinely believe that this mindset, shutting down any discourse and acting with hate/vitriol is completely counter point to the entire purpose of "love and respect" and they should not be allowed to continue to act in this way. They should be called out for their poor attitudes and actions.

• Not as invested in this community as the GT days. But seeing the benefit of increased dialogue. With fair discussions in my personal life. I can only hope for the same here.