Shadow of the Colossus (PS2/PS3/PS4)

• @ib0show I know some people get really angry about this kinda stuff for some ridiculous reason, but I hope we see more complete remakes of Sony games. Imagine having the whole Team Ico trilogy in these graphics.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Shadow of the Colossus (PS2/PS3/PS4):

Imagine having the whole Team Ico trilogy in these graphics.

My issue is, if they're not going to change anything else really, I just don't see the point. I've never come across a game where a remake was more enjoyable just because graphics have been beefed up.

• @Sheria While some might disagree, I think this is a good form of game preservation. Enhance graphics but keep the gameplay exactly/close enough to the original. Crash N-Sane Trilogy is another good example of this.
    Plus, since I assume that any future consoles from Sony or Microsoft will continue the trend of using X86 architecture, this will help keep the game accessible in the future, where as the only other version of this game available is on the PS3.

• This isn't a remake, it's a remaster. A remake changes the game.

• @ib0show No. The Ico Collection on PS3 is a remaster, as it is just the original game uprezzed to a higher resolution and with a stable framerate.
    This is completely remade with new geometry, effects, and animations that were not possible on previous gen consoles.

• @El-Shmiablo ohhh, so Star Wars Special Edition is a remake of the original trilogy.

• @ib0show I hope you realize how silly you are being.
    But just to entertain you, the special edition is more a "director's cut" as it is mostly the original experience with minor changes made to better dit the director's vision.

Watch the video in OP. The developers themselves talk about how every asset needed to be remade completely from scratch.

• @El-Shmiablo Then every single remaster is a remake. You think they didn't create anything new for the Shadow of The Colossus PS3 version, it had a graphics overhaul to allow it to be support modern high-definition displays up to 1080p, they added support stereoscopic 3D, support 7.1 surround sound.

• @El-Shmiablo

Good point. Discs break, consoles break, CRT is extinct, the future can't be foreseen. I have trouble getting my N64 to work on some tv's leading me to play the far inferior Mario Party 4 when my casual gaming friends came over because the Gamecube hooks up to my HDTV, but N64 won't display.

"Untouched" remakes are something I desire. Us SOCOM fans have begged for SOCOM II HD since 2008. It'll never happen and demand is dead, but I digress.

• @ib0show

@DIPSET Exactly.
    Personally I don't mind if small changes are made to a game, as long as the core gameplay and spiritremains the same. Quality of life changes are always welcome.

• Global Moderator

Some info on the Collector's Edition.
    alt text

I was hoping for a Soundtrack or Vinyl but this will do.

• Oh man, that made me remember that I still have the postcards in my PS2 package in pristine condition.

This will be a beautiful return to that world.

The reviews are very, very good!

Glad to read that the remake is so perfect, now I have no excuse, I have to finally play this game.

• @Axel
    I dont know why, but I keep expecting some review to come along and complain about a lack of multiplayer or something else that wasn't in the original.

• Despite being frustrated many times while playing it, i still love The Last Guardian. 2016 was the year of the feels for me, with three big games in particular (Uncharted 4. FFXV and TLG) taking me on a long and climactic rollercoaster of emotions, and TLG definitely was the most memorable as a whole. Now i have no reason to miss out on Ueda-san's previous games, and when i saw the announcement trailer for this remake during Sony's last year E3, my mind was set. Glad to know Bluepoint has shown remarkable care to this game, can't wait to play it!... After the exams next week :(

• Rather early reviews aren't they?

I've always been very uninterested in remakes, remasters and ports, but I have to say, I find myself really buzzing to play this one. In fact, I kind of can't wait in a way. I have a Pro and 4K TV, so I'll be going for cinematic mode myself, I'm really not that big on 60FPS at all.

• Global Moderator

Yup, the reviews have been fantastic so far. I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on it.

Personally, I think I'll have to go performance mode. The game still looks beautiful from whatI can see and I want to play SotC as smoothly as possible.

Also, a remaster of the vinyl is coming on Iam8bit which I immediately pre ordered. Now... just need to get a player.

• Buying this and Monster Hunter tomorrow. Cannot wait.

QUESTION - does anybody have experience trading in a PS4 for a PS4 Pro (Canada). I have this TV: (4K, no HDR)

and this monitor: (2K, 60Hz)

SoTC and MHW both seem like games I wanna run 60f. Think it's worth the upgrade if I don't have HDR or even full 4K on my monitor (which I'm using rn).

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.