Shadow of the Colossus (PS2/PS3/PS4)

• Some info on the Collector's Edition.
    alt text

I was hoping for a Soundtrack or Vinyl but this will do.

• Oh man, that made me remember that I still have the postcards in my PS2 package in pristine condition.

This will be a beautiful return to that world.

• http://opencritic.com/game/5118/shadow-of-the-colossus?tab=1

The reviews are very, very good!

Glad to read that the remake is so perfect, now I have no excuse, I have to finally play this game.

• @Axel
    I dont know why, but I keep expecting some review to come along and complain about a lack of multiplayer or something else that wasn't in the original.

• Despite being frustrated many times while playing it, i still love The Last Guardian. 2016 was the year of the feels for me, with three big games in particular (Uncharted 4. FFXV and TLG) taking me on a long and climactic rollercoaster of emotions, and TLG definitely was the most memorable as a whole. Now i have no reason to miss out on Ueda-san's previous games, and when i saw the announcement trailer for this remake during Sony's last year E3, my mind was set. Glad to know Bluepoint has shown remarkable care to this game, can't wait to play it!... After the exams next week :(

• Rather early reviews aren't they?

I've always been very uninterested in remakes, remasters and ports, but I have to say, I find myself really buzzing to play this one. In fact, I kind of can't wait in a way. I have a Pro and 4K TV, so I'll be going for cinematic mode myself, I'm really not that big on 60FPS at all.

Youtube Video

• Yup, the reviews have been fantastic so far. I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on it.

Personally, I think I'll have to go performance mode. The game still looks beautiful from whatI can see and I want to play SotC as smoothly as possible.

Also, a remaster of the vinyl is coming on Iam8bit which I immediately pre ordered. Now... just need to get a player.

• Buying this and Monster Hunter tomorrow. Cannot wait.

QUESTION - does anybody have experience trading in a PS4 for a PS4 Pro (Canada). I have this TV: https://www.vizio.com/en-ca/m43c1.html (4K, no HDR)

and this monitor: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-asus-31-5-wqhd-60hz-5ms-ips-led-monitor-va32aq-va32aq/10460629.aspx (2K, 60Hz)

SoTC and MHW both seem like games I wanna run 60f. Think it's worth the upgrade if I don't have HDR or even full 4K on my monitor (which I'm using rn).

• @DIPSET Just some advanced warning, SotC isn't out till the 6th. Just in case you're going in to buy it physically.

As for the pro, I just bought one because in the end I knew it would have some performance benefits, even if they are small and I think overall I'd go for performance mode over cinematic/graphics.

• @tokeeffe9 I honestly thought since the reviews released that the game released. Probably a good thing I'm not buying two games.

I'm going to look into a trade-in tomorrow. ALSO, can I transfer saves between consoles like on PS3? From my old PS4 to my new one through USB.

• @DIPSET You can transfer everything over like that.

I just picked out some save files that were stored online from PS+

• Banned

@DIPSET Cloud saves, my ninja.

• Just found out there might actually be new content in the game, just no one knows how to access it yet outside of collecting a few things.

• @DMCMaster said in Shadow of the Colossus (PS2/PS3/PS4):

Just found out there might actually be new content in the game, just no one knows how to access it yet outside of collecting a few things.

It would have been sweet if they'd somehow expanded the game to include the dam as a part of the game.

• @El-Shmiablo

Ah. I had an issue with NBA2K15 back in the day so I'm sketched out I'll lose 80 hours of P5, but I should have trust. I'm getting PS+ today again. Drinking the Kool-Aid.

• Banned

@DIPSET I have mine set to automatically upload any new saves, but if you are really paranoid you can just manually upload before the switch.

• @DIPSET you can back everything up to a external hdd. It would even back up games so it's better than ps3 backup

• @Sheria
    Like I said, I don't know but as you defeat colossal little collectible coins are added to the world, at this time no one knows how many there are, what they do, what they unlock, ect.

• The trophy list looks alot of fun

spoilers warning if you didn't play the game before

• Played through the whole game on hard earlier. I won't go too much into how much I actually love this game as I've done that on several occasions here.. I think.

Anyway, the remake is incredible in my book, if you've got a Pro, absolutely play this in performance mode. Just switch between those modes, the difference in feel is massive and it looks fantastic regardless.

With that said, I'll throw my 3 nitpicks/issues with the game.

Beating the game on a harder difficulty does not unlock the gallery items for easy and normal. That's just so annoying.

Wander's face during gameplay is pretty bad. You won't really notice it that much but in photo mode, oh boy it's rough.

Last one is actually a bit spoilery so I'll just say that I feel like they could have shown the effects killing the Colossi was having on Wander a lot better. To go into that more

Basically I feel like in the PS2 and remaster that you can see Wander just looking more and more sick as it goes on. Veins showing, his skin becoming extremely pale. While in this the changes are pretty difficult to notice. I was checking in photo mode and even up to the last colossi, they were pretty minor. After the last colossi it was the full transformation, extremely pale and veiny, piercing blue eyes. I just don't understand why we weren't seeing that incremental change around the 8th,9th,10th colossi. Be interesting to hear if others feel the same way.

Anyway, the game is still incredible. The scale still blows me away and the job bluepoint did overall is ridiculous. If you've never played SotC, do it. If you're a big nerd like me for SotC, it's worth playing again too!