Shadow of the Colossus (PS2/PS3/PS4)

• The trophy list looks alot of fun

spoilers warning if you didn't play the game before

• Played through the whole game on hard earlier. I won't go too much into how much I actually love this game as I've done that on several occasions here.. I think.

Anyway, the remake is incredible in my book, if you've got a Pro, absolutely play this in performance mode. Just switch between those modes, the difference in feel is massive and it looks fantastic regardless.

With that said, I'll throw my 3 nitpicks/issues with the game.

Beating the game on a harder difficulty does not unlock the gallery items for easy and normal. That's just so annoying.

Wander's face during gameplay is pretty bad. You won't really notice it that much but in photo mode, oh boy it's rough.

Last one is actually a bit spoilery so I'll just say that I feel like they could have shown the effects killing the Colossi was having on Wander a lot better. To go into that more

Basically I feel like in the PS2 and remaster that you can see Wander just looking more and more sick as it goes on. Veins showing, his skin becoming extremely pale. While in this the changes are pretty difficult to notice. I was checking in photo mode and even up to the last colossi, they were pretty minor. After the last colossi it was the full transformation, extremely pale and veiny, piercing blue eyes. I just don't understand why we weren't seeing that incremental change around the 8th,9th,10th colossi. Be interesting to hear if others feel the same way.

Anyway, the game is still incredible. The scale still blows me away and the job bluepoint did overall is ridiculous. If you've never played SotC, do it. If you're a big nerd like me for SotC, it's worth playing again too!

• I just finished the game on normal in 4 hours with zero deaths, i played the game alot on PS2 and PS3 but this version is easily the best one, my favourite moment was when i found a cave in one of the jungles with something special inside.

• @tokeeffe9 Damn that was one of my favorite details of the original

So it is worth picking up? Even if you played the HD version?

• @tokeeffe9 Do the animations seem like they carry the same weight to it, iv seen conflicting accounts of it

• @Faaip It honestly depends how much you loved the game. For me, it's an easy decision because it's my favourite game. At the end of the day though, it is still very much the same game you played while of course looking and performing magnificently.

@Bigdude1 Hmmm.. sometimes. I feel like I kinda need to look back on the PS2 version. Just make sure I'm not making this up in my head.

• This game is still amazing, 10/10. Great work from Bluepoint again.

• I finished all the normal time trails and i think there's something wrong with colossus #13, if you ride the horse close to his head he will sometimes stop moving, i hope there's an update to fix that.

Plus my favourite small upgrade from the original game is the shiny lezards size, on the ps3 version they were so small and hard to shot and now you can see them clearly.

• A very good interview if you're into the technical side of SotC and engines etc

Youtube Video

• I'm playing the Shadow of the Colossus remake for the PS4. The PS2 version has been my favourite videogame for a long time, but I haven't played it for about ten years, maybe. So far I'm enjoying the remake and it looks very faithful to the original. Playing it as an adult, with far more experience in gaming, gives me a fresh perspective. The scale isn't as big as I remember it, and now I can dispose of foes with more ease and practicality. The controls are a bit janky, I don't know if it's because the game is old, but I like that they opted to maintain the gameplay mechanics. The best part about the remake is how it looks and flows, the game looks far better and cleaner and I haven't found any framerate drops that sometimes froze the original. It allows me to better look at the desolate scenery and detailed architecture. I continue to appreciate their choice of not having any enemies to defeat besides the colossi.