Defend Your Favorite Chain Restaurants

• I have lived most of my life around the Bay Area of California, moved to Montana for a few years, and recently came back home. The two states cannot be more different, and one of those ways is the elitism around chain restaurants here in the Bay.

Olive Garden: Quoting one of my rich friends (whom I love): "The worst people in the world are those who believe Olive Garden to be quality food or 'being fancy'. If you have a credit card machine with trivia games on the table, you are absolutely not getting quality food."

Beyond his lovable personality and interesting perspectives on lower class people, I have to say that Olive Garden remains one of my favorite restaurants for a special occasion. Ms. Chris's Girlfriend absolutely adores unlimited breadsticks and gnocchi soup. And for myself, I love the price and taste of those heavenly sticks of dough.

Chick-Fil-A: This one is controversial, and I understand some people do not like the politics they played in the past. But they don't donate to anti-gay marriage campaigns since that initial backlash. They also pay their employees well, give everybody Sunday off, always have a smile on their faces, and they hire young people in high school. But the food is just the best. Gotta love the lemonade and chicken sandwiches. Ok, ok, the prices are up there for fast food. But we should all be able to gather 'round for some quality fried chicken and waffle fries.

What say you, Allies? What restaurants get an unfair shake from the distasteful masses?

• I love Chic-Fil-A.

As a california (Los Angeles) native we didn't have them until very very recently, one opened up where I'm at now just 2 years ago and it's packed every single day, and they NEVER disappoint me, it's always consistently fresh and hot even after a 20 min drive home, and you rarely sit in the drive-thru that long.

As far as price goes...honestly it's about the same as Burger King or Mcdonalds for two people, but it's arguably better food, so I'm alright paying it.

Otherwise if we're just talking fast food and sit down chains, I go to The Hamburger Habit (Local Chain), Red Robin, and Taco Bell a lot. I'm just not a fan of most chain restaurants in my area, not necessarily cause they're bad but the people who work at the ones where I'm located MAKE it bad.

Like I've been to a decent Applebees, but I'd never go to the one where I live at, it's just more common to hear that they suck most everywhere.

• Chick-fil-A is the best. I can't really say more than already has. Well, I love their vanilla milkshake...

• Chick Fil A is unfortunately a place where I can't eat their chicken sandwiches anymore. Due to dairy ingredients. But its without a doubt the best chicken sandwich spot in fast food.

Its cheaper than the competition. Gives more meat. And tastes better. Even if it does have artificial junk in it. Keeping the menu small and simple also means faster serving time. I recall once got my order within seconds of paying. Their popularity is also highly evident in food courts and elsewhere. One food court I went to, it dominated lunch hour. With Burger King 2nd, and everything else was dead. During a road trip, it was practically impossible to just get in the parking lot. Let alone the drive thru.

• @-Jak- said in Defend Your Favorite Chain Restaurants:

Chick Fil A is unfortunately a place where I can't eat their chicken sandwiches anymore. Due to dairy ingredients. But its without a doubt the best chicken sandwich spot in fast food.

Its cheaper than the competition. Gives more meat. And tastes better. Even if it does have artificial junk in it. Keeping the menu small and simple also means faster serving time. I recall once got my order within seconds of paying. Their popularity is also highly evident in food courts and elsewhere. One food court I went to, it dominated lunch hour. With Burger King 2nd, and everything else was dead. During a road trip, it was practically impossible to just get in the parking lot. Let alone the drive thru.

I'm partial to the chicken sandwiches from Checker's/Rallys as well, but plenty of people don't like them lol. Can't believe I forgot to list them, though truth be told I don't live near one anymore, I just go there whenever I'm in LA.

Jack In the box used to have the best spicy chicken sandwich I'd ever had, until I went to a Rallys, and then of course Chic-Fil-A beats them both.

• Global Moderator

Fat Burger are the best... obviously

• Chick Fil A is some of the best fast food out there imo

Honestly other than fast food I don't really eat at a lot of chain restaurants and since moving to the south I've been indoctrinated into the Cookout cult haha. Probably the most crowded place in town at 1:00AM

alt text

• The way everyone talks about Chick Fil A, I swear I must have the only bad one in the country or something. That stuff is nasty, at least here.

• @DeweyDTruman It's the only fast food joint I see people willing to wait over 20 minutes to eat on a frequent basis. And I've seen people wait even longer than that. Even though that wait time is not fast food by any means.

Meanwhile other restaurants (non fast food as well) will have tons of people walking out, or losing their tempers. Chick Fil A certainly has some divine blessing absent from many other places to eat.

• Yo! I haven't commented in MONTHS but I logged in specifically to answer this.

@HeyItsThatChris is totally right about the Bay Area, specifically about peeps that work in the City (San Francisco). I am not about to wait an half an hour on top of hoofing it down into the city for a chicken sandwich at The Bird when I can get a perfectly good one down the street at Chik-Fil-A.
    They recently opened one in Novato (a commuter town in Marin) and my husband and I are overjoyed!

Also, I cannot lie, I do enjoy Olive Garden's salad and breadsticks. As a SoCal native, though, I will endure epic lines for some In-N-Out though. Also, El Pollo Loco.

As an aside, one of the things that most surprised me about Berkeley when I first moved up here was the lack of chain restaurants. It was weird to long for an Olive Garden (nearest one in the city) when I had the Cheese Board pizza so nearby.

• If any Allies live in CT, Garden Catering is some of the best fast food I've ever tried. If you do live there, ya'll are some lucky culinary bastards!

If you've never been and wanna trek out: I recommend the "High School Special" sometimes called the "Garden Catering Special." 1/4 lbs of chicken nugget bits so savory and delicious they'll melt your eyes out, served alongside "cones," which are small mashed potato nuggets in the shape of a cylindrical cone. They have a thin crunchy outside, with pillow-y potato on the inside. So amazing! You do have to order the cones specifically though, as they will otherwise give you french fries standard. No price change or anything.

Not to mention their supreme "Honey Hot" sauce! Hot sauce and honey mustard? Whodathunk?

• Not a fan of chick fil a, something always seems off about the food there that I can't put my finger on.
    I do enjoy Wendy's from time to time, despite the fact that the crew in there always gets my order wrong somehow (even when just ordering one small item)

Used to love Burger King, but after a incident where my cousin almost died from a food allergy due to negligence, I haven't been back since.

• I don't know how much of a chain it is but I know there are a few in the States, Go Go Curry in Japan was amazing and it needs no defending.

Other than that there's exactly one thing in Taco Bell that I love and always get, I always feel bad both mentally and physically after eating it, but it is worth it.

• i don't really have one tbh, there aren't that many where i live

• Chipotle is my favorite. I can't go a week without visiting it twice. I usually order three chicken tacos with a side of guacamole, but the best part is the vinaigrette dressing. I usually get two cups.

• You can tell that most of you don't live in Texas, seeing as how the best chain restaurant in existence hasn't been mentioned here. Seriously everyone, if you ever have a chance to visit our wacky state, do yourself a favor and get some Whataburger.

• @Henry-Ramirez I have recently seen people turn on Chipotle. My theory is that it is seen as "basic" white people food and not Mexican in the slightest -- as if that is any reason why we eat there...

I moved to a college town in Montana. In 2016, they opened a Panda Express and a Chipotle next door to each other. The following those locations have to this day proves to me that there is a quintessential goodness to both of those establishments.

• I won't hear anything negative about Rally's frys, lol.

There was a Chic-fil-a at Ball State that we'd eat at all the time, so I kinda got sick of it, lol.

• @HeyItsThatChris the chipotle that I frequent is next to a Panda Express

• Also from the Bay Area (East Bay) and just wanted to shout out Nations Burgers. I think it might just be a Cali chain but it's good stuff, great burgers, I personaly love the grilled ham and cheese but they also have amazing Pies.

As far as like nation wide fast food like mentioned before Chic fil is amazing and I'm a big fan of Wendy's and Jack in the Box.