EZA Kpop Match-ups From Nov. Community Showcase

• OK, If you heard my Community Showcase Submission you may be wondering where on earth I was coming from. I wish I could have better explained my choices but there’s a word limit and I had to fit a lot of stuff in. Basically, I want to first explain that I wasn’t basing the Kpop groups I matched to each ally on their musical tastes. I have no idea what most of the allies’ tastes in music are beyond which game soundtracks they like and that doesn’t translate super well to pop music. I based my choices on the allies’ online personas, what I know of their tastes in media, and the overall vibe I get from each of them. And the groups/artists I chose were matched to the allies based on their concepts and aesthetics. My matchups were intended for both the allies themselves and the audience. Also if you're wondering why I chose all girl groups for the allies, 1, for consistency, and 2, because I primarily follow girl groups and know the most about them. I didn't want to match an ally to an artist I wasn't super familiar with. So, now that you know my thought process, let’s break down each matchup.

Here's The Playlist With Videos From Each Artist

Just for Clarity. The Leader is just the member that leads the rest of the group, usually praises and disciplines the other members, introduces them when on TV, takes care of the other members, and generally makes sure everything is running smoothly. They're usually the oldest member, but not always. The maknae is the youngest member. A bias is a person's favorite member(s) in a group. Also when I list the artist's ages I'm going by their current international age, not their Korean age. So For example, IU was born in 1993, so most of the world considers her to be 24, but in Korea she's seen as being 25. I'm listing the international age.

Jones: I picked IU because of her music and themes. There are a lot of things that come to mind when I think about Jones and 2 of them are Disney and theater. IU’s aesthetic and overall sound draws from those two things. Her more recent music has gone more retro than dramatic, but I think she maintains a sort of theatrical presence.
    Company: Fave Ent. (A Subsidiary of Loen Ent.)
    Debut: 2008 ("Lost Child")
    Last Major Release: 2017 ("Last Night Story")
    Genres: Ballad, Kpop, R&B, Nu-disco, Soul, Jazz, Big Band.
    Well Known Label Mates: Shinsadong Tiger, Fiestar.
    Fun Facts: She was really unpopular when she first debuted but the success of her song “Good Day” cemented her as “the nation’s little sister”. Everyone loves IU, doesn’t matter if you’re 5 or 87, everyone loves IU.

Bosman: Kyle was a pretty easy pick. I was thinking about playing off his whole “New York Hip Hop” thing, but decided to play off his propensity for bits instead. There’s no group who does bits like Orange Caramel, it’s kind of their whole concept. Each of their music videos parodies something or is generally comedy based. Concepts for music videos they have had include: Ping Pong school, sushi, "Where’s Waldo?", and anime magical girls.
    Company: Pledis Ent.
    Ages: 28, 26, and 25.
    Members: Raina, Nana, and Lizzy.
    Leader: Raina
    Maknae: Lizzy
    My Bias: All of Them
    Debut: 2010 ("Magic Girl")
    Last Major Release: 2014 ("My Copycat")
    Genres: Kpop, bubblegum pop, semi-trot, EDM.
    Well Known Label Mates: AfterSchool, Son DamBi, Nu'Est, Hello Venus, Seventeen, Han Dong Geun, Pristin.
    Fun Facts: They’re a subunit of my favorite group, AfterSchool. Member Nana placed #1 on The Independent Critic’s “Top 100 Most Beautiful Faces In the World” list, 2 years in a row. Nana also works as a fashion model and spokesmodel for brands internationally. Member Raina has one of the best voices in Kpop but you won’t hear that in OC’s songs, her solo work is really good. Member Lizzy is a solo trot singer and TV host as well.

Don: This was a little tricky. I ended up deciding to go off the fact that Don is a multidimensional being that cannot be comprehended by us mere mortals and picked Cosmic Girls. Cosmic Girls’ concept is that all the members are aliens and their music videos reflect this fact. They’re all pretty space themed and out there, but the one that’s the most mystical is “Secret”. They’ve also got crazy good editing on their videos which I thought Don might appreciate.
    Company: Starship Ent.
    AKA: Uju Sonyeo/WJSN
    Ages: 18-22
    Members: Seola, Xaun-Yi, Bona, Exy, Soobin, Luda, Dawon, Eunseo, Cheng Xiao, Mei Qi, Yeoreum, Dayoung, Yeonjung.
    Leader: Exy
    Maknae: Yeonjung
    My Biases: Seola, Exy, Bona, Soobin, Dawon, and Eunseo.
    Units: Wonder, Joy, Sweet, and Natural
    Debut: 2016 ("MoMoMo"/"Catch Me")
    Last Major Release: 2017 ("Happy")
    Genres: Kpop, R&B, CosmicPop.
    Well Known Label Mates: Sistar, K.Will, MonstaX, Mad Clown, Junggigo.
    Fun Facts: They are the largest Kpop girl group currently promoting and tied for the largest currently promoting Kpop group overall. Member Yeonjung was one of the winners on the survival show Produce 101 and was a part of the resulting group I.O.I.. Leader Exy competed on the survival show Unpretty Rapstar. Members Mei Qi, Xuan Yi, and Cheng Xiao are Chinese. Exy is the leader but she's only the 4th oldest. Their fans are called Ujung.

Ben: I knew right away that I wanted to pick a group that had an anime sound, but there are a couple of groups that fit the bill. I decided to go with the group that sounds like a shonen opening though, Kara. Kara not only has anime-sounding music, they’re also the most prolific Kpop group in Japan and have an extensive Japanese discography.
    Company: DSP Media
    Ages: 23-31
    Members: Gyuri, Sungyeon, Nicole, Seunghee, Hara, Jiyoung, and Youngji.
    Leader: Gyuri
    Maknae: Youngji
    My Bias: Youngji
    Debut: 2007 ("Break It")
    Last Major Release: 2015 ("Cupid")
    Genres: K-pop, J-pop, Rock, EDM.
    Well Known Label Mates: Rainbow, KARD.
    Fun Facts: Kara has an anime based on them featuring the members as voice actors called “Kara The Animation”. Their song “Butterfly” was used in Naruto Shippuden’s soundtrack, and on the Naruto spinoff “Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals” Guy-sensei famously did the point choreography to Kara’s song “Mister”. Most of Kara’s songs are considered Iconic and all of them are good. Nicole is American. Their fans are called Kamilia.

Huber: Picking Dreamcatcher for Huber was easy. They have a horror concept, all of their music videos are connected and tell a story. Their music videos also draw heavily from classic horror movies like “The Shining”. They’re super powerful, dramatic, and energetic performers which reminds me of Huber too.
    Company: HappyFace Ent.
    Formerly Known As: Minx
    Ages: 18-23
    Members: JiU, SuA, Siyeon, Yoohyun, Dami, Handong, GaHyeon.
    Leader: JiU
    Maknae: GaHyeon
    My Bias: All of Them
    Debut: 2014/2017 ("Love Shake"/"Chase Me")
    Last Major Release: 2017 ("Fly High")
    Genres: Kpop, Rock, R&B.
    Well Known Label Mates: Dal Shabet
    Fun Facts: They originally debuted as Minx in 2014 and then re-debuted as Dreamcatcher in 2017 with the horror concept they have now. Their debut as Dreamcatcher happened on Friday the 13th. Handong is Chinese. They don't have an official fanclub name yet but some fans call themselves Nightmares, Hunters, or Dreamers.

Brad: Picking F(x) was based both on Ultima Brad and the really cool vibe he gave off when I met him briefly at E3. So the group I picked definitely had to be cool, almost intimidatingly cool. There’s no group that has that vibe except for F(X). All of their music is really interesting and experimental. They have super unique and cool styling, fashion, and choreography. Overall, I picked F(x) for the vibes.
    Company: SM Ent. (One of the Big 3)
    Ages: 23-30
    Members: Victoria, Krystal, Luna, Amber, and Sulli.
    Leader: Victoria
    Maknae: Krystal
    My Bias: Victoria
    Debut: 2009 ("LaChaTa")
    Last Major Release: 2016 ("All Mine")
    Genres: Kpop, electropop, synthpop.
    Well Known Label Mates: Red Velvet, SNSD, Super Junior, NCT, BoA, SES, TVXQ, ShiNee, EXO.
    Fun Facts: Their album “4 Walls” is a masterpiece. Member Krystal is the younger sister of former SNSD member and creative directer of fashion brand Blanc and Eclare/solo artist, Jessica Jung. Luna's solo work is awesome! Krystal and Amber are American, Victoria is Chinese. Amber has a Youtube Channel called What The Pineapple that she's been more active on recently. Also Amber is friends with literally everyone. Their fans are called Me U.
    Debut Era

Most Recent Era

Ian: Red Velvet was an easy pick for Ian. A common thread throughout their music videos is a sense of eeriness. The girls are always otherworldly or creepy while still looking beautiful which is hard to do. Also, from a cinematography and design standpoint, they have the best music videos on the market. They also love to use synths in their music. And, they’re very good dancers.
    Company: SM Ent. (One of the Big 3)
    Ages: 18-26
    Members: Irene, Wendy, Seulgi, Joy, and Yeri.
    Leader: Irene
    Maknae: Yeri
    My Biases: Joy and Seulgi
    Debut: 2014 ("Happiness")
    Last Major Release: 2017 ("Peek-A-Boo")
    Genres: Kpop, synthpop, electropop, R&B, Ballad.
    Well Known Label Mates: F(x), SNSD, Super Junior, NCT, BoA, SES, TVXQ, ShiNee, EXO.
    Fun Facts: RV has a very interesting concept in that there’s 2. The Red, is their electropop, upbeat concept. The Velvet, is their R&B, melodic concept. Yeri was added to the group during their Ice Cream Cake era. Wendy is Canadian. Their fans are called ReVeLuv.

Damiani: I wasn’t sure who to pick for Damiani initially, but as soon as I thought of Mamamoo I knew it was a good fit. Mamamoo are known for being the biggest trolls in Kpop and generally not taking themselves too seriously, but they also are very talented and passionate about what they do, which made me think of Damiani.
    Company: Rainbow Bridge World (RBW)
    Ages: 22-26
    Members: Wheein, Solar, Hwasa, and Moonbyul.
    Leader: Solar
    Maknae: Hwasa
    My Biases: Wheein and Hwasa
    Debut: 2014 ("Mr. Ambiguous")
    Last Major Release: 2017 ("Yes I Am")
    Genres: Kpop, Jazz, R&B, ballad.
    Fun Facts: They're one of the few groups from a small company to find real success. Their fans are called MooMoos (which means radishes), hence their light sticks being radishes.

Bloodworth: This was also a tough pick. But Loona has a very diverse sound, and all of their songs are very well written so I thought it would be a good pick. Also, generally speaking, their music is very chill which reminds me of Blood.
    Company: Blockberry Creative. (Subsidiary of Polaris Ent.)
    Ages: 15-21
    Members: Heejin, Hyunjin, Haseul, Yeojin, ViVi, KimLip, JinSoul, Choerry, Yves. (So Far)
    Leader: Not Yet Revealed
    Maknae: Yeojin
    My Biases: Haseul and KimLip
    Units: Loona 1/3, and Loona Odd Eye Circle.
    Debut: 2018
    Last Song Release: 2017 (Yves "New")
    Genres: Kpop, basically every other genre.
    Well Known Label Mates: Ladies' Code
    Fun Facts: They haven't actually debuted yet. They've got a "girl of the month" concept where all 12 members are revealed over the course of 2 years with the project being completed with their official debut in 2018. The project began in October of 2016. Every girl has a color and animal assigned to represent them. How their company, Blockberry Creative, which is basically a no name, managed to get the money to afford like 25 high budget music videos mystifies me. Like producing this group had to have cost millions upon millions of dollars.

EZA: As soon as I thought of Twice, I knew they were the right pick to represent EZA. They've got 9 members, each with their own unique concept and varying personalities but they all bring something special to the group. They have a Comeback pretty much every Halloween, and common themes for their music videos are classic movies and Halloween/Cosplay. They produce memes like a printer, and they interact with their fans a lot. It just made too much sense.
    Company: JYP Ent. (One of the Big 3)
    Ages: 18-22
    Members: Jihyo, Nayeon, Junghyeon, Momo, Mina, Sana, Chaeyoung, Dahyun, Tzuyu (pronounced J/choo-ee)
    Leader: Jihyo
    Maknae: Tzuyu
    My Biases: Jihyo, Sana, Mina, Momo, Chaeyoung, and Junghyeon.
    Debut: 2015 ("Ooh Ahh")
    Last Major Release: 2017 ("Likey")
    Genres: Kpop, ColorPop, ElectroPop.
    Well Known Label Mates: Wonder Girls, Miss A, Got7, 2PM, 2AM, J.Y. Park, Day6.
    Fun Facts: They are crazy popular. They're definitely the #1 Rookies in Kpop right now. They break a record (usually their own) for sales, wins, or views every time they have a new release, it's insane. Each member has their own concept which they play on a lot in their styling and in MV's, so they're a bit like a 9-member Spice Girls. They get a lot of hate, mainly because they're so popular and people think they don't deserve it, but Thrice (anti-Twice folks) can choke for all I care. These girls work really hard and consistently put out great music and great performances. Leader Jihyo trained for 10 years before debuting. Despite being the leader Jihyo is actually only the 5th oldest, she was made leader because she trained longer than the rest of the members. Members Sana, Momo, and Mina are Japanese. Mina was born in Texas. Tzuyu is Taiwanese. Mina is classically trained in Ballet, and was a full time ballet dancer up until 7 months before their debut when she got scouted. The group was formed through a survival show called Sixteen, which featured 16 JYP trainees vying for a spot in the group. Momo actually got eliminated but was put in the group anyway because of her dance ability. Their fans are called Once.
    Music Video

That's all of them! I hope you better understand my choices now, and I hope this was entertaining.

• Thanks for all the hard work! Great post! Totally going to check out more Dream catcher.

• @parasitepaladin I'm glad you like it! It was fun to make! And Dreamcatcher are awesome, they've got a lot of great music!

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.