The Game Awards: Award Winners and World Premiere Announcments

• The following is the chronological outcome of this evening's Game Awards. Feel free to discuss the news and agree/disagree with the winners at your leisure.

PRESHOW -
    World War Z game announced
    Dr. Disrespect wins Trending Gamer
    Vacation Simulator announced
    Nier: Automata wins Best Score/Music
    Accounting + announced and will be out December 19
    Monument Valley 2 wins Best Mobile
    Forza Motorsport 7 wins Best Sports/Racing
    Resident Evil VII: Biohazard wins Best VR
    Metroid: Samus Returns wins Best Handheld
    JX3 HD (Chinese game vote)
    From Software teaser

MAIN SHOW
    What Remains of Edith Finch wins Best Narrative
    In the Valley of the Gods by Campo Santo announced for 2019
    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus wins Best Action
    Cuphead wins Best Art Directions
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Champion's Ballad DLC with the Master Zero Cycle is available now.
    Industry Icon is Carol Shaw (The first female game developer/programmer)
    SoulCalibur VI is announced
    Persona 5 wins Best RPG
    Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle wins Best Strategy
    The Last of Us Part II wins Most Anticipated
    Super Mario Odyssey wins Best Family
    Cloud9 wins Best Esports Team
    Cuphead wins Best Debut Indie
    Fortnite Battle Royale gets a new 50 vs. 50 mode
    Overwatch wins BOTH Best Ongoing and Esports game
    Fade to Silence from THQ Nordic announced
    Bayonetta 1 and 2 coming to Switch, with Bayonetta 3 is now in developed as a Switch exclusive
    Faker wins Best Esports Player
    Death Stranding has an 8 minute trailer
    Sea of Thieves March 20 release date announced
    Level Squared wins Best Student Game
    Witchfire from Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Bulletstorm developers announced
    Josef Fares goes on a near incoherent, profanity filled rant (Special callout because you've got to see that)
    A Way Out March 23 release date announced
    Dreams has a new trailer with a 2018 release window
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice wins BOTH Games for Impact and Audio Design
    PUBG's new map, Miramar, will goes live four hours post Game Awards
    Melina Jurgens (Hellblade) wins Best Performance
    GTFO from PayDay 2 developers announced
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild wins BOTH Best Game Direction and Action-Adventure
    Metro Exodus has a new trailer with a Fall 2018 release window
    Breath of the Wild wins Game of the Year.

Personally this was a great show. Sure I disagree with some of the winners, but for me, it's the announcements that matter.

What stands/stood out to you? Anything excite you?

• It was a pretty good show actually. I wish they had more awards presented. It was all going so well, advertising included until that coke head from A Way Out started saying "fuck the oscars" like a classless idiot.

Many great games this year and it was a nice blend between ceremony and "trade show". The Persona 5 music at the beginning was so exciting and I was literally yelling at my TV like it was E3 when they showed the From Software teaser.

• ... and I thought it was great. I laughed the entire time. Then again, I'm a big ODB "Puffy's good, but Wu-Tang is for the children" fan too.

• Fuck the Oscars

• Zelda deservedly won and the whole show was pretty good in my opinion.

Super happy for Bayonetta and surprised by Witchfire`s look.

I still don`t know what the heck Death Stranding is about, but the imagery was cool XD

• Fuck Breath of the Wild. it isn't even the best Zelda game, let alone Game of the Year.

• Lmfao! what even happened today?

Youtube Video

• @Yoshi Opinions and all i guess. Not only i believe It's the best zelda game and game of the year, i think It's the best game ever made.

• @Enzo88 Breath of the Wild is a fantastic game don't get me wrong. it just isn't anywhere near as good as alot of other Nintendo games that came out this year and from it's own series, Wind Waker is way better.

• Mostly pretty fine picks (although it's wierd Horizon won nothing) and the show itself was pretty good. Some nice game reveals too.

There are only 2 things I think are off.
    One is how Cuphead won Best Debut Indie from a fan vote. This is frankly kinda dumb since you're making it a popularity vote (as in people are more likely to vote on the game they recognize or have played). This is dumb since it's not really about quality at that point. Cuphead was clearly more talked about (for various reasons, like with how that journalist had problems with the tutorial) meaning games like Hollow Knight had no chance. It should be a question of quality, that even a small pretty unknown game should be able to win if the quality is there. If it's just a popularity vote then I frankly don't see the point of it being an award.
    Two is how I think Mario Odyssey is the far more innovative, interesting and better designed game over Zelda BotW. Though I guess Zelda got more votes because the judges had more time to play that game over Mario and thus got more votes.

@DIPSET said in The Game Awards: Award Winners and World Premiere Announcments:

It was a pretty good show actually. I wish they had more awards presented. It was all going so well, advertising included until that coke head from A Way Out started saying "fuck the oscars" like a classless idiot.

I agree with everything you said. Some might think that he was funny but frankly he's not helping games and this award show getting taken more seriously, which is kind of the point of this whole thing. It was honestly a bit of a dick move in this regard towards Keighley and the rest of the crew.

• Glad to see Senua's Sacrifice walk away with the awards it did.
    Overwatch winning best ongoing game over Warframe is some laffy taffy booshit foreal though.

My mind was full of fuck after that Death Stranding trailer. Who knew I could know LESS about a game after watching 8 minutes of it?

Soul Calibur got me sporting a full erection. My boy Maxi better be coming back.

• @El-Shmiablo said in The Game Awards: Award Winners and World Premiere Announcments:

Soul Calibur got me sporting a full erection

0_1512735428763_ok..jpg

• @Yoshi replayed windseeker recently.... it’s ok.

• Global Moderator

I really loved this moment (along with the Andrew House segment)

Youtube Video

• Global Moderator

Feels like a lot of stuff went down! I still havent managed to watch the whole thing, just picked out the most important things. mainly due to a ranging hangover, but I will try and find some time over the weekend to watch it all

• @tokeeffe9 IM NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING SHUT UP

• @TokyoSlim

ODB at The Grammy's and Three 6 Mafia winning an Oscar are two of my favourite clips, but they were different contexts. Games don't get taken seriously. Those awards shows do (for some reason).

• The Rock remembering warmly that 3/10 review from Game Informer for his Spy Hunter: Nowhere to Run in 2006 was a pretty funny moment. :)

• Yeah, had fairly low exceptions and was very pleased with this awards show. They had some surprise announcements that I foolishly wasn't expecting. I'm so glad this is still a thing and I hope it continues.

• @Sentinel-Beach That and Zachary Levi's microtransactions jokes got the best reactions from me.

I really wish they had shown Persona 5 winning best RPG. Though I wonder if it was due to maybe no one being there to pick it up.

The worst for me, in terms of how the show was set up was, as Bloodworth also pointed out, the bizarre lack of b-roll for when they were doing the Games for Impact award. Of all the games I would have liked to have seen, it was those since I didn't know some.

Otherwise solid show. I loved the orchestra, even if Persona sounded odd, and I agreed with most of the winners. It also had a solid showing in terms of premieres.