Games that blew your mind

• Hey Allies

With all the cool new games shown in the games awards & (hopefully) PSX later. What are the games when you seen them got your imagination flowing, keep you up at night thinking about the possibilities of what the game was like. For me it was the PS2 demo of FFX. My brain couldn't comprehend how good the graphics were. I was convinced at the time that technology had reached is limits & could never be topped. Seems silly now but it was nearly 20 years ago.

• This happens every time I see a Death Stranding trailer.

My brain is in traction for thinking so hard about what they mean.

But for games in the past? The usual (for those who know me) Final Fantasy VII for its story, DOOM (2016) for its return to form, Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, and Ori and the Blind Forest for their respective aesthetics.

• Global Moderator

@Brannox I agree there! Death Stranding have me thinking, speculating and wondering about what will happen.

I was also there with FF X. I remember getting it for Christmas, when I started it up I thought to myself "WOW! this is it, games will NEVER look better than this! this is as real as it gets!" ..which obviously was crazy, but at the time it was beautiful.

Recently, I know I keep bringing it up.. but Life is Strange. I played it mainly because my friend kept bugging me about it.. BUT OH MY GOD! Even now I still keep thinking.. did I finish the game, or did the game finish me?

• @Lotias Life is Strange stayed with me for weeks after I finished it. No game has ever done that to me before or since.

• Global Moderator

@FutureCorpse Yeah same here! Been about 4 months since I finished it, I still think about it on almost daily basis. Never before have a game left that much of an impact on me

• Thinking of a few that would fit with this description for myself

Persona 3
    Undertale
    Nier
    Drakengard 3

These just threw stuff at me that I just didn't see coming and especially for P3 and Nier have helped me looked deeper into games and appreciate them in a much more meaningful way, I'm convinced to this day that if I hadn't picked up Persona 3 some 10 years ago I wouldn't still be as much into games as I'm today.

• Final fantasy Tactics just because the many interpretations you can take from that ending,

also the ending of mgs3 hit me hard and still does to this day

• For me, the biggest plot twist I've seen in a game was the "Would you kindly" part of Bioshock. I didn't see it coming at all.

I also remember the 15yo me being completly blown away by how good FF6 and Chrono Trigger looked when they first came out. The opera scene was pure delight and when I reached Earthbound Island in CT, I just sat there watching and listening to the music. Good memories.

• First plathroughs of Uncharted games were pretty mind blowing when you get to those set pieces that would be QTEs in any other game, but they are actual gameplay. Thinking stuff like the train sequence and collapsing building in 2, plane sequence in 3, and pretty much every 5 minutes in 4.

• @Whiskeyjack yeah Bioshock was pretty great on that aspect for me as well, it also helped that it was one of the first games from the previous gen that I played and seeing the jump from the previous gen was just astounding, similar to my experience with the first Assassins Creed, which was the actual first game from last gen I got to play.

• @bard91 said in Games that blew your mind:

@Whiskeyjack yeah Bioshock was pretty great on that aspect for me as well, it also helped that it was one of the first games from the previous gen that I played and seeing the jump from the previous gen was just astounding, similar to my experience with the first Assassins Creed, which was the actual first game from last gen I got to play.

I feel like I should have mentionned Assassin's Creed in there as well. That was the first game that felt "next-gen" when it came out. There really was nothing else like it and I liked it a lot. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I also really liked that cliffhanger ending. It made me excited for the sequel.