Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS!)

• And just to chime in with an extremely uncool opinion: it's my third favorite Star Wars movie.

• 6, 5, 4,.................................. 1, 7, 3, 2, 8.

• Yuck. I really really disliked this movie lol.

A lot of people overlook the fact that Lucas used the works of Cambell's "Hero's Journey" and it's archetypes as a signpost to ensure a base of literary merit underneath all of the sci fi gloss in the original Star Wars series. That's part of the reason why the first trilogy works so well in terms of character. structure, and story. There isn't any wasted symbolism or superfluous razzle dazzle to be found. They were economic films and knew when and how to be both fun and poetic when they needed to be.

hConversely, this new joint is not only devoid of any of that good stuff, it's on par with some of that goofy fan fiction you'd find traipsing about the internet. I'm not one of those fanboys that clings to "legacy" and use that as my yard stick to judge quality. I just dislike badly written story and characters, and this new joint is a Sarlac Pit full of loud, soulless cliches and amorphous story beats hahahaha.

• The hero's journey is a boring way of both writing and analyzing stories.

• This post is deleted!

• @Haru17 It really isn't. That statement seems a bit empty and hyperbolic. How do you back that up?

• I recently rewatched The Force Awakens, and for a piece of "entertainment" I think it is actually very well written. For me, The Last Jedi doesn't get past the entertainment bit.

• So I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I wanted to say that the hand theory is super interesting. One little thing that I thought about is how Rey reacts to Luke's old lightsaber. If the hand theory is correct, it would sort of make sense that the lightsaber would cause such a reaction. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the lightsaber was the last thing that Luke's right hand ever held before the hand was severed.

• Oh, and for the record, if a few seconds of lightning aged Palpatine into butt forehead territory, then the Jedi equivalent multiplied by a separation of however many billions of lightyears could have easily ghosted Luke. The force is literally life energy, so it's not much of a jump to suggest that you could use so much energy that you blink out of your body.

1. Finn and Rose side story sucked because it had no effect on the story and failed to make her interesting. They had goals and failed to make any difference on the final story.

2. I am not a fan of out-of-nowhere trump-card powers. Astral projection... ugh.

3. Personal taste doesn't like having zero background on Snoke. He is basically a mini boss who died in a dumb way halfway through the trilogy. Kylo just isn't a big baddy for me.

4. Dumb chase of the Rebellion ship. Just send faster ships. There is an issue of scale for me. We have planets and planets of supporters for both sides and these tiny little turf fights that decide the fate of the known universe.

On the issue of Rey in TFA, she should not have been able to beat Kylo Ren at the end. Not only for obvious story reasons about training differences (Ren was also naturally talented and went through tons of real training under Luke and presumably Snoke) but also because it shows Ren as a weak antagonist. It killed his prominence as a powerhouse and removes much of his menacing presence as an evil power to have him barely saved by a plot-device earthquake splitting the battlefield.

• Plinkett's back with another good analysis.

Youtube Video

• I haven't been able to bring myself to re watch it