Are remasters the only route for PS1 revivals?

• The MediEvil remaster has been an interesting announcement but it also got me thinking. Are we at a point where a PS1 game/series won't be revived with a sequel (or reboot) without first going through a remaster and receiving sufficient success? I'm leaning far towards "yes".

Secondly, even if that isn't accurate, I do find this strong tendency to be a little dispiriting.

You'd like to think that every old, fondly remembered game has a shot of coming back if the right developer with the right opportunity collide. But there are plenty of reasons why a remaster would fail to be a spectacular success in a modern market, but where a brand new game --- which can be more divorced from the previous designs/levels/etc --- could be .

What do you think about any of these thoughts?

• @Chocobop I would love to see more PS1 remasters and most games need remasters before they make sequels. People are waiting for Shenmue HD. They get the old fans excited and also get new people playing the game.

• It seems like the safest business decision. Also people can build up such a reverence for the original that a reboot/sequel can tough to pull off.

• I think there Gauges to see the potential profitably of that ip and if its still viable

• they don't call it the Remasterstation 4 for Nothing!

• @Yoshi PS4 has no games so they remaster old games

• So now that we've got the centuries old trolling out of the way...

I think, like others have expressed, that it ia a good way to build excitement for new fans and old, and to gauge interest in sequels or other similar projects. For instance, I am positive that we will see a Spyro collection after the success of the Crash N-Sane Trilogy.

• @El-Shmiablo
    Same I half expect not only a Spyro collection, but possibly a tease for a new Crash game at E3 this year.

• I rather have a fully remastered game because they can update the controls and fix alot of stuff( example : in Crash 1 you can only save after certain levels)

• I agree with the others that it seems like companies want to test the market out with a remaster before they continue on with a series that hasn't been around for a few generations. Personally, I don't know if that's always going to work out though. Take Shenmue for example, I think a lot of people are expecting a remaster of 1 & 2 before 3 comes out but I don't know if that's a great idea. I personally love 1 & 2 but I don't know think those games have aged that well. I think people who might be interested in 3 may try 1 and 2 might be turned off. Same time, if they don't like 1 and 2 maybe better to come to that realization before buying 3.

I would love it if they re-released bushido blade.

• I think it's a real shame if it's the case. I'd like to think they can rely on fans of the originals still being around, and that being enough, or if they need a refresher, to just replay the originals.