Top 10 Backlog/Old games 2017

• Another year going past and another list of games going into the backlog. Every year old games are finished for the first time such as Brad finishing Chrono Trigger, Blood playing Earthbound, Kyle playing Banjo and Kazoie. I thought we can see the variety of games played this year. In other words no game released in 2017 can be in this list according to western release. What are you favourite < 2016 games that you completed this year. Have any of these games become a favourite of yours.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    I actually started playing this earlier but I didn't play much so I started a fresh playthrough and wanted to finish before NNK2. I loved the story, the threat, difficulty and combat. The voice work is great, environments are fantastic and it adds its own spin to the pokemon style game. After playing this game and seeing what they did with Pokemon Sun/Moon, I can't believe Ni No Kuni is ahead in most departments.

Inside
    Great puzzle game, I really enjoyed my time with it.

Persona 4 Golden
    I finished this game before and in preparation for Persona 5. What can I say about this game. I've heard people talk about this game yet had no idea what to expect. I didn't know it had combat/dungeons. I thought it was just a visual novel with detective work. My expectations were exceeded and then some. I have yet to play Persona 5 because I was exhausted with P4G and couldn't play the same game again. Maybe I'll play it next year :P.

Shovel Knight
    Shovel Knight is a game where after you play it you recommend it to everyone, I'm upset that it took me a long time to play this and that they haven't made a sequel yet.

Yakuza 4
    I started playing Yakuza after watching Ben play Yakuza 5. This was the 2nd Yakuza game I played after 3. Yakuza franchise has come along way.

Yakuza 5
    Not my favourite Yakuza story.

Tales from the Borderlands
    I've heard Kyle and Huber talk about how Tales from the Borderlands is funny and their favourite Borderlands game. After playing it, I miss the days when telltale made interesting stories, it was funny and had a great cast. My 3rd favourite Telltale game after Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 1.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    Loved the puzzle, story and progression. Great way to tell a story in World War 1.

Hitman Go
    One of my favourite games I played on the Vita. I have yet to play Lara Croft Go and Deus Ex Go but I planned to one day.

Hitman
    I waiting for this game to release the physical version and wished I was playing this when every episode was releasing. The Himan franchise is in a great place.

• I remembered kind of answering this already here, but ok, it was about one game particularly, not 10.
    https://forums.easyallies.com/topic/4645/what-is-your-older-game-goty

There's not too many backlog games I finished from before this year, but these three I did and enjoyed them all:

The Witness
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Lego Marvel's Avengers

• Global Moderator

I imagine this thread sums up a lot of us. I missed a huge portion of 2016 so I've spent whatever gaming time I've had to catch up. I've already posted plenty of thoughts to most of them so I'll probably just go about ranking them in some way.

The Last Guardian

Inside

Dishonored 2

Doom

Hyper Light Drifter

Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Hitman

A Link Between Worlds

Dark Souls 3 DLC

Ratchet & Clank

Some of those links are for the same post.

So that's a rough idea of the Top 10 and I'd still a few other I got around to too. One thing is for certain, my Top 5 for 2016 would have been a little bit different anyway. I don't know how, but I'd have to fit TLG and Inside in there, loved both of them.

• Are these just games we beat for the first time? or does it include replays we did this year as well?

• I've said in a previous thread that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is a masterpiece and I stand by that. 2017 was an intense year game-wise so I don't think I played that many other older games for the very first time but the one that does come to mind is Pokemon TCG2. I played it and the first one (which I'm not counting since I think I played that years ago but either way never finished until this year) not long after Kyle started his Fun Game Monday streams of it and had a total blast. I think they're probably the best video games based on card games I've ever played.

• I have an easier time finding entries for this than I do for 2017 releases. I have so many older games to enjoy that I seldomly buy a game when it launches. I'm sure I'll receive several 2017 games as Christmas gifts, but here's some highlights from my past year:

1. XCOM 2
    2. Xenoblade Chronicles
    3. Chrono Trigger (I finished this two days before I heard Brad say he played through it for the first time; it was cool to hear all the things that resonated with him while it was super fresh on my mind)
    4. God of War 2
    5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    6. Alien Isolation
    7. Super Meat Boy
    8. Stardew Valley
    9. The Banner Saga
    10. Kirby: Triple Deluxe

@Sheria The initial post mentioned older games being completed for the first time, so I believe that is the spirit of this thread.

• There are two older games I've played for the first time this year: Final Fantasy IX (Completed) and The Witness (Will complete today). Both are alright. Both have some things about them that are nitpicks which I'm not all too hot for, but they're personal quirks. Solid games and easily recommended for fans of those respective genres.

• Ahh ok. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure most of mine this year are ones that I've at least started at one point in time, just never actually completed. This is where I find it very difficult to remember what exactly I played though, but I'll do my best.

In no real order:

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School (I'd beaten the original release before, but this was the first time I'd played/beaten the remake)
    Anima: Gate of Memories
    G-Police
    Robopon 2 (Cross Version)
    Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue
    Privateer 2: The Darkening
    Destroy all Humans!
    Inside
    Root Letter
    Battlefield 1

• @Sheria said in Top 10 Backlog/Old games 2017:

Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue

What a game! If anyone hasn't played this they really should. It's available as a PSOne classic on PS3, PSP and Vita. One of the best movie tie-in games ever made.

• @Hazz3r I haven't played it since its release long ago, but I'll throw in my support for this game as well!

• I finally finished Witcher 3 and I adored it. It's easily one of my favourite games now. It's vastly improved from 1 and 2 which I couldn't get in to at all.

Otherwise the only other game I finished this year that I liked, and that's older is Bound. It was beautiful to play.

Currently playing Dishonored 2 and Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, so here's hoping they keep me interested. So far they're both pretty great.

• Trails in the Sky - an amazing adventure, it's tropey for a jrpg, but it's done very well and does some thigns different, the characters and the writing is some of the best I've come across

Donkey Kong Country Returns - it was pretty enjoyable, though the levels started to get a little repetitive, motion controls kill the game, thankfully I could remap them on Dolphin

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - better than SMG1 imo, still not as good as the 2d ones, and I prefer 64 and Sunshine to the two Galaxy games. I don't think 3d Mario games are for me, they are solid B to B+ experiences, but none of them come close to greatest games of all time for me

Xenogears - loved the story, but damn is it rushed, battle system was okay, also the platforming was awful at times, would love to be able to replay it to really soak in the story, but I don't have that time

Transistor - Started to play, hoping I was gonna be able to beat it before starting Trails in the Sky SC, but didn't have the time, enjoyed the hour I put into it, but it's being put on hold

Wolfenstein New OrderĀ - solid shooter, but the story and characters were nothing to write home about unlike some of the reviews

System Shock 2 - doesn't hold up, way too much back tracking and enemy respawing

Okami - good game, but it's way too long, needs to be about a 20 hour game, it wore out it's welcome for me

• I'm just going list them in the order that I played them. I played a few more backlog games that i never finished so I won't include them.

Witcher 3. Hearts of Stone
    Witcher 3. Blood & Wine
    Super Mario 3D World
    Dead Island
    Dishonoured 2
    Wolfenstein. The New Order
    Inside
    Oxenfree
    Deadlight
    Tomb Raider (2013)
    Dishonoured + DLC

• There are probably more games that I'm just forgetting, but these are the noteworthy ones, in no order:

1. Bloodborne - My first From Software game and I absolutely loved it. Trying to platinum it with the Chalice Dungeons is an absolutely pain, can't decide if I want to just skip it or power through, but either way, I'm really hoping for a Demon's Souls remaster or Dark Souls trilogy on Switch or something so I can go back and see what else I missed.

2. Shovel Knight - I wish I hadn't missed the hype train on this one, but I definitely dig the idea EZA had during E3 of Yacht Club doing a 2D Metroid.

3. The Last Guardian - I think if I had played this when it came out, I still would've picked Uncharted 4 for GOTY, but I completely understand why EZA chose this. I also get why others didn't like it, but I loved this game, I got super attached to Trico.

4. Final Fantasy XV - I liked it, but I feel like there was a lot of missed potential. Especially in terms of the story, I could tell there was a good story in there, but I just don't think it was told well. I might give it another playthrough just to sort out my feelings more.

5. Metroid Prime - Really liked this as well, inspired me to dig into the Metroid franchise more. It's always interested me, but I've just never gotten around to it, Definitely gonna put it higher on my priority list!

6. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - Maybe the 3DS version wasn't the best way to play this game, but I still dug it. Don't have a Wii U though, so unfortunately I can't play Tropical Freeze.

7. Wolfenstein: The New Order - There were a lot of really crazy moments that were really cool, but I felt super bad about myself lowering the difficulty.

8. The Last of Us - Probably a top 5 of all time for me, at least. I was super invested in the story, and gameplay felt really good, I loved trying to be super stealthy.

• @Jamicov That's one heck of a list. Glad you had such a good year of games!