2018 Gaming Predictions

• (Posted this as a blog too, but figured id try to get others in on it too.)
    So with the new year just around the corner (and me having some time off work) I figured I would do something I always like to do, make predictions, with that in mind consider this my "Master" list for 2018.
    if you feel like making your own list, please feel free to do add it below, if at all possible try and stick to the same format, but not gonna hear any complaints from me if you dont

Now admittedly this isn't everything, just what I could make with the time I have, and I do plan to try and add more. However once January 1st of 2018 hits, that's it I will not be adding any more to this. However once January 31st hits EST time I (and others) Should not add any thing else to this list unless its discussion, think of this thread as a sort of time capsule, our hopes for 2018, to eventually be compared to the reality of 2018 kind of thing

Nintendo

• With the success of Skyrim and Doom on Switch, Fallout 3 and New Vegas will be announced for Switch with a Summer release (possibly before E3), During E3 Fallout 4 for Switch will be announced.

• Thru out the course of the year we will see various third parties announce Switch ports of games, possibly the two biggest will be ports of GTA5, and Overwatch from Western third parties, while a version of FF15 remade on Unreal 4 will be announced for Switch (possibly at the very end of 2018)

• Metroid Prime 4 to be shown at E3, some will be skeptical but most will be generally pleased with the game, Aiming for a fall release window but possibly delayed into early 2019

• At least 4 unannounced Wii U ports coming to Switch next year (Smash 4, Xenoblade X, Hyrule Warriors, and TMS#FE)

• At least one new "Warriors" game announced based on a Nintendo IP for 2019

• Virtual Console to launch by Spring

• Earthbound/Mother 4 announced, Or a 3D remake of a previous title

• At least one major first party title made using Unreal 4 (Possibly Pokemon)

• Luigi's Mansion 3 announced, will have some kind of coop mode

• Mega Man 11 to receive some kind of exclusive Switch feature (use a Metroid Amiibo to unlock Samus)

• Animal Crossing MMO type thing announced

• Travis Strikes Again:No More Heroes to release by late summer

• Redesigned Switch Dock announced and released, has a more portable form factor

• Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask HD remaster dual pack, and Wind Waker/ Twilight Princess pack announced

• Mario Maker 2.0 announced

• Bayonetta 3 revealed to be Bayonetta X Devil May Cry

• No More Heroes Collection announced, will be published by Nintendo

• Some kind of Monster Hunter built from the ground up for Switch announced

• Professor Layton collection for Switch

• Overall Nintendo will have a weaker 2018 when compared to 2017 with only 3-4 major releases during the year, with a various third party, indie, and remasters helping fill out the year, Virtual console will release only with NES and SNES at the start, with other consoles added during the course of the year. The major addition to the VC releases will be online play added to NES, SNES, and eventually select N64, Gamecube and Wii titles (along with any other consoles that may be added such as Genesis, Dreamcast, TurboGrafix, ect)
      During the course of the year we can expect to see many third party studios porting older titles to Switch, with the promise that newer titles will eventually find their way over soon (it will remain to be seen if anyone keeps to their words)

Sony

• Changing PSN names to be released/updated (not sure of the right word) by Summer possibly as a E3 announcment

• Possibly from pressure from various third parties big and small, indie and triple A, we can expect Cross platform play to happen

• The Last of Us 2 to be given a spring 2019 window

• Uncharted VR Experience announced

• Some kind of VR mode for God of War announced

• Spider-Man to release in May

• PS1 and 2 games to be added to the PSN store, and to PS NOW

• At least one major PS1 JRPG to get a remaster announced

• Ape Escape remaster collection

• Ghost of Tsushima to get a late 2018 window, but will probaly be delayed into 2019

• Infamous Collection (Infamous 1, 2 and the Vampire DLC thing) announced

• Ico remaster announced some time after Shadow of the Colossus (probably hinted at in credits of SHOTC remaster)

• At least one or two major remasters to be announced from Blue Point

• Sony to possibly A quire Blue Point

• PS4 Slim to receive permanent price drop to $250, Pro to $350

• Shenmue 3 to release late 2018, Shenmue 1 and 2 HD to be stealth dropped at E3

• Spyro Collection announced

• Overall Sony will have a odd year, with releases that have been known for the last year or two finally getting released, with the change up in the corporate side of things we can expect major announcements to be extremely spared out. However the games released will be solid hits, with Dreams probably being the most mixed

Microsoft

• More games added to the Game Preview program but also released physically at the same time (Similar to PUBG)

• Microsoft to announce at least 3 major brand new first party titles, and one sequal or remaster of a older game (possibly something from the Rare vault)

• Xbox 1 S to receive permanent price drop to $250 around E3, X1X to stay at $500

• Battletoads will give someone the boot on MS E3 stage

• Halo 6 to be announced, will not release in 2018

• Overall Microsoft should have a strong year, and with MS wanting to invest more into first party titles I imagine it wont be long till we see something from that promise, as for their quality it will remain to be seen, but overall we can expect MS to try to diversify their line up to include first party titles that are more then Halo, Gears and Forza.

The Rest

• DMC5 announced

• Square Enix Avengers game, and Crystal Dynamics Guardians of the Galaxy games shown in some capicty (Expect Avengers first, and Guardians by the end of the year)

• Tomb Raider 3 announced, will be episodic, first episode will release alongside the new movie

• Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite season 2 announced, will get visual overhaul, will also get a handful of much beloved and missed characters for free outside of the season 3 line up

• Monster Hunter World released to glowing reviews, new comers to be completely confused

• First major Expansion for Destiny 2 announced, will be used to course correct from current controversy

• EA to start releasing remasters in a attempt to win back fans, will find some way to fuck it up

• Disney to pull Star Wars license from EA, Support for BF2 will continue thru out 2018

• Legislation will be passed in the US that will relate to loot boxes

• Yakuza Kiwami 2, First of the North Star, and Yakuza 7 all announced for a Western release, 7 will be the first one to release in both Japan and the West at the same time

• Legislation will be passed in the US that will relate to loot boxes

Hah, that'd be a twist! More than likely they'll make them mandatory in childhood cancer wards to offset the cost of healthcare.

• Woof, that's a list. I'll just add in a few small ones.

Mother 3 will finally get a real release!... digitally though.

We're getting a date for that FF7 remake, and no, it's not coming out anytime soon.

• @Haru17
    Don't worry little Suzy maybe this one will have the cure....nope, better luck with the next one.

• Xenosaga HD Collection will be announced for release on Switch late 2018.

• I love to predict things, but 1.) I suck at them and 2.) I typically wait until major events to drop them.

However, for some broad ones, I'll try and leave a couple per category (And yes, these are general and I'm not working off of a solid foundation of speculation here)

Nintendo
    The name of the Pokemon RPG will be known by the conclusion of the coming E3.

We will see Metroid Prime 4 gameplay before the year is over, but we won't have a release date.

Sony
    Of the supposed "First half of 2018" games, one will get pushed into 2019. Between God of War, Detroit: Become Human, Spiderman, and Days Gone, I'm thinking it'll be Spiderman or more likely, Days Gone.

We won't know the exact release date of The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, or Ghost of Tsushima, at ALL, in 2018.

Microsoft

Halo 6 will be revealed, released, and either be panned or a "return to form" before Thanksgiving.

While they may announce one or two new IP, their first party catalogue will still underwhelm, but they'll try to offset that by greatly improving the OG Xbox Backwards Compatibility Program.

General

Square-Enix will have an interesting year. Final Fantasy brand producer Shinji Hoshimoto claimed 2018 will be a big year for Final Fantasy as a whole, but I'm curious what that will entail. The 7 remake won't be seen for another year, though through an interview here or there, assurances will be made the game is coming along great. Kingdom Hearts III will probably have a couple more trailers, but be pushed into 2019. Meanwhile, the third rebooted Tomb Raider will be revealed and released multiplatform prior to year's end, and while critically received well, I don't think it will move many units.

EA will continue to be the bane of my gaming sanity. Microtransactions, improper treatment of beloved franchises and other nonsense. I'm willing to bet they announce Battlefield Bad Company 3, people get really excited for it, fans are not seeing/hearing anything untoward until release. Then EA screws up, somehow, some way. Because EA.

Finally, 2018 won't be heralded as a great year in gaming with 2017's massive shadow next to it. A solid year with a handful of quality titles released, GOTY probably won't be decided in March with only ONE potential challenger like this past year was. Unless Red Dead Redemption 2 releases. Then no other game has a shot against that zeitgeist.

Personal

I'm just hoping for good games and not read about BS business decisions. I'm looking forward to 5-8 games that have a realistic shot of releasing, and at the end of the day, that's what I care about most: Playing games I'm excited for, and them being at the very least good. Not disappointments (AGAIN, looking at you EA).

• Japan will continue to reign supreme while the western industry continues to deteriorate.

• Nintendo

• Virtual Console to Release in May
    • Metroid Prime 4 will have a name change and a CG trailer (From Soft will be working on it)
    • Retro's project will be announced no idea what it will be maybe F-Zero?
    • pokemon will have no new pokemon but will have all previous regions
    • Konami will announce a new Castlevania game may be a remake of 3 and use Character Designs from the show will be timed exclusive on switch

Sony

• God of war will get a late March release
    • Days gone will be summer most likely September
    • Spider-man will be October or November
    • Shenmue remaster will be released with date for 3 announced by Yu Susuki at E3
    • Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be released in Nov it will include up to the Junon harbour battle with Sephiroth/Jenova

Microsoft

• MS will try to reboot a Rare IP and fail miserably (battletoads?)
    • Halo 6 March 2019

3RD Parties
    From Soft will show off new Armoured Core will be entirely playable in VR
    EA will loose Starwars LIcense
    Loot-boxes will be greatly overhauled

• Square will Announce a title image of Final Fantasy 16 will be directed and written by Nojima
    • Bethesda will Tease New Elder scrolls by announcing the region

• Half Life 3 Confirmed.

• Remasters of all Fatal Frame games, a western release of 4, and a port of 5, with 6 announced!

Also, Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient will change engines a 3rd time and go dark for several more years... :(

• I'm thinking after the 1st of just compiling everyones predictions into one long master list.

Anyway
    Nintendo

• Bravely Third announced, probably not long after Octopath is released

• FF7, and 9 come to Switch (its the PC/PS4 version)

• Fatal Frame 4 and 5, and the Wii remake of 2 ported to Switch

• The two FF Crystal Chronicles games ported to Switch, with online added to the GCN game)

• The PS4 Senran Kagura games ported to Switch, Senran Kagura 3 announced (Timed exclusive on Switch)

• One DLC pack for Xenoblade 2 will add the cast of Xenoblade 1 as party members

Sony

• More games to receive VR updates

• Kingdom Hearts to receive big marketing push from Sony, possibly having some kind of PlayStation exclusive summon (Think Ratchet or Sly Cooper)

• FF7 Remake gets its first new trailer since starting from scratch, will have first look at a majority of the cast, 2019 window given

• First trailer for RE2Make shown on Sony stage. Will include TPS/FPS and Classic styles of gameplay

Microsoft

• Some kind of AR or VR announcement

• Going to keep this thread going till end of January before making giant compiled list, because kinda forgot the holidays is mostly dead here

Third Party

• RDR3 will do like GTA5, launching the single player portion first, with the multiplayer launching a few weeks later. However with the launch of the multiplayer will come a large controversy over loot box's and the fact that people can steal the contents of said lootboxs if you are killed out in the wild (which will be the only place you can open them)

• Bethesda will announce 2 major games for release in 2018, one a sequel and the other a new IP. Fallout 4 VR ported to PSVR, and some new version of Skyrim also announced for Texas TI Calculator

• New Duke Nukem game announced

• Nothing crazy but I think Sony is going to start their "Greatest Hits" again, but maybe with a digital spin. The PS4 catalogue is thorough enough for it and releasing something like Bloodborne or The Last of Us on discount could help promote their sequels

• @DIPSET
    They kinda already did that last year, plenty of first party titles dropped down to $20-$30 last year as a permanent price drop without any announcement.
    Although I can see them adding a "Greatest Hits" section to the online store

• Bandai Namco

Dragon Ball FighterZ is the highest selling DBZ game of all time.

EA

Anthem metacritic will be 75
    A Way Out and Fe metacritic will be lower than 80

Square Enix

Shadow of the Tomb Raider debuts with Gameplay on Microsofts stage
    The Avengers Project ends with a Tease of Wolverine

Ubisoft

The big reveal at E3 will not be Watch Dogs 3 or a new Assassin's Creed game.

Microsoft

E3 2018 kicks off with Halo
    and ends with Gears of War
    Microsoft announces a new studio and have a nothing trailer at E3
    State of Decay 2 releases in June and close to Red Dead and E3
    Sea of Thieves has a 73 metacritic

Nintendo

Metroid Prime 4 will be shown during the January Direct
    Super Smash Bros is going to have a direct during E3.
    Animal Crossing is announced in January and has a June release date
    Super Mario Maker comes out on Switch, curation still sucks.
    Nintendo highest metacritic in 2018 will be 87

Sony

PS4 will sell 95 million by end of the year.
    PS5 rumours will appear in December 2018
    Death Stranding will release this year.

I'll add some more later

• Sony continues to dominate the gen with no end in sight, even though most of it's exclusives are getting kinda samey.

Nintendo has a decent year with few (but amazing) core releases, but gets praised because it gets morr bad ports of games that are excused for being bad ports because MUH PORTABLE.

Microsoft shits the bed and rolls around in it yet again. Announces 2-3 games that get cancelled within the year.

• Sony:

The press conference is coming to a close, but Sony has one more announcement. The room goes black, and an eerie but familiar voice plays.

"It's been quite some time, Mr. Freeman, but we are in need of your services once again."

A source 3 powered fantastic Half Life 3 trailer follows.

After the trailer, the entire room turns Orange, and Gabriel Newell struts out into the stage.

Gabe: "I've greatly admired what Sony has been able to accomplish this generation, and I'm looking forward to this partnership. Half Life 3 will ship in 2018 as our flagship game in our Orange Box Gaming Initiative.

Look forward to seeing even more of your favorite valve franchises return, as well as new experiments, in the near future on PS4 and PC."

• Months almost over, anyone have anything else to add?

• My prediction if psn keep doing flash sales I'll be bankrupt by the end of the year.