picking the 30 best SNES games... that weren't made by Nintendo, Square, Capcom and Konami

• Let's create a group list of the top 30 SNES games that weren't made by the big 4: Nintendo, Square, Capcom and Konami. This is your chance to root for some of your personal favorite SNES games, because all those top spots are up for grabs!

Once we finish the list I want to try taking the result and doing a special showdown (Against what you say? You can probably make a guess :P), but that will be for another thread.

We will proceed as in the selective creation threads. Each poster adds one game to the running list. Please copy/paste the current list for everyone else's benefit and add your game to the bottom of the list like so:

random example

1. Super Star Wars
    2. Populous
    3. Blackthorne . . <--- your contribution

Are these the "best" games or our "favorites" ?
    Go with your favorites! I obviously can't stop you, but that's the intention the rest of us will be going for. :)

What about posting multiple times? As with selective creation, the rule is that you can post again provided it has been at least 12 hours since the most recent post (not necessarily yours!). Additionally, if there have been 4 games added since your post then you can post again without waiting 12 hours from the most recent.

What counts as a Nintendo/Square/Capcom/Konami game?
    With a few exceptions, the rule is that they must be the developer.

• Enix and Square (aka Squaresoft) were still separate during this period, so every "Enix game" (however you define those) is allowed here and not considered a Square game.
    • Likewise, Hudson is not considered Konami, Quest is not considered Square, and so on.
    • HAL Laboratories and Intelligent Systems are going to be exceptions: We will count them as "Nintendo" as is often done, even though they aren't fully controlled by Nintendo.
    • For Rare, here's the rule:
      • The two SNES Battletoads games (Battletoads in Battlemaniacs / Battletoads & Double Dragon) are allowed here (they won't count as "Nintendo") since these were before Rare became an exclusive Nintendo partner.
      • After that partnership all Rare games will be considered "Nintendo". These were: Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3, Killer Instinct, and Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run. Those games aren't allowed.

I think Nintendo actually owned slightly less than half of Rare during this time, but whatever it's a reasonable exception that closely aligns with what people consider "Nintendo" so we're going to stick with it.

What about licensed games like say SimCity, Aladdin, or TMNT4? Those were still developed by Nintendo, Capcom and Konami respectively, so they aren't eligible for this list.

• Soul Blazer baby

• Donkey Kong Country.

(Fuck DKC2. you don't even play as Donkey Kong in it FFS!)

• Ha, I'm so pleased by Soul Blazer being chosen as number 1. :) It also nicely removes some of the downside of wanting to hold off before adding my own contribution.

@Yoshi I'd pick DKC 1 over the others as well! But DKC is going to fall under "Nintendo" by our rules. It isn't eligible.

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...

Never played it, probably doesn't hold up at all but it was the origin of my favorite franchise ever and besides I can't think of many games from that time that I actually played that are not from those companies

• UN Squadron- one of the few decent shooters on the system.

• @FutureCorpse True enough, although UN Squadron is also a Capcom game so we can't add it to the list :)

current list:

1. Soul Blazer
    2. Shin Megami Tensei If...

• @Chocobop Forgot Capcom made that. I'll go Super R-Type.

• Mortal Kombat 2 has gotta be on the list. 1&3 are also good candidates for the list.

• current list:

Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers

We need a brawler. A brawler of brothers will do.

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2
    Dragon Quest V

One of the best DQ games, so why not?

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2
    Dragon Quest V
    ActRaiser

Loved the blend of town-building "sim" and action game, all rolled into one.

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2
    Dragon Quest V
    ActRaiser
    Harvest Moon

Never played this one, but everybody loves Harvest Moon, and I've heard this one is great

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2
    Dragon Quest V
    ActRaiser
    Harvest Moon
    Blackthorne

Still have this cart. Love it.

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2
    Dragon Quest V
    ActRaiser
    Harvest Moon
    Blackthorne
    NBA Jam

Perfect game for a quick, competitive session. Gotta love that announcer.

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2
    Dragon Quest V
    ActRaiser
    Harvest Moon
    Blackthorne
    Terranigma

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, second best RPG for me after FFVI on the system

• Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2
    Dragon Quest V
    ActRaiser
    Harvest Moon
    Blackthorne
    Terranigma
    Shadowrun

Ambition! Probably one of the "darker" SNES games.

• Global Moderator

Soul Blazer
    Shin Megami Tensei If...
    Super R-Type
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Brawl Brothers
    Lufia 2
    Dragon Quest V
    ActRaiser
    Harvest Moon
    Blackthorne
    Terranigma
    Shadowrun
    Super Star Wars

loved this game asa kid, even though it being hard I enjoyed it a lot

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.