I just got a just job interview!

• Hi Allies,

I really can’t believe but after 6+ months of searching, I got a job interview. I still can’t believe it. The position is sales coordinator.

Here’s where you come in, what are your best interviewing tips that you used? I read everything I could on the net but all the info seems the same.

Thank you for all your support!

• Congrats and good luck!

Just random tidbits that have usually helped me land jobs I want (which may not be very different from what you've read online). Even if you've sent in a resume, make sure you bring one in for the interview and it's usually good form to have everything fit on one page. You want to dress professionally (preferably a nice suit and tie) but don't go overboard - if you end up showing up looking like Mr. Peanut, questions will be asked. Eye contact is important and my main advice for anything anyone attempts to do in life - just be yourself. Don't be afraid to build yourself up a little bit and if you don't know the answer to a question (ie. a scenario you've never taken part of), you can be honest and instead mention how you would tackle that situation should you ever come across it. You may wanna look through generalized interview questions (such as what are your biggest strengths/weaknesses?/how would you handle a sale that isn't going well?/list off your professional accomplishments, etc.) and practice in front of a mirror or a friend so you're ready for the typical stuff. Basically, you want to seem like you want the job and you've come prepared, while still being mentally flexible enough where you can handle some of those curveball questions. My best interviews were the ones were I spent a day or two practicing, but nothing longer than that - my two worst interviews had either no preparation or a month of preparation, and I was a mess for both.

• A job interview is like a date. It's not just about making the other person think that you're the right person for the job, but that the job is right for you. So ask relevant questions (just generally avoid asking about salary until the very end, the interviewer will generally bring it up). Questions also serve a secondary purpose of you seeming interested in them.
    Bring a small notepad and makes a few notes here and there, it makes you come off as professional and organized.
    Try and have an overall pleasant attitude and joke a little (if you can, don't force out awkward jokes). You should present yourself as a pleasant and easy to work with person.

• @MXAGhost Relax, and just treat it like a conversation, confidence is pretty highly valued for whatever reason. In my experience learning a little about the company and bringing it up always helps, as does asking them questions about the company and how it operates. Like if you read about how they were recently merged with some other business, ask how that went/if things changed for the interviewer and whatnot.

Also when they inevitably ask for weaknesses, don't be afraid to turn them into strengths. "My main problem is that when I come across a problem, I become fixated on it until it's solved." for example. It's totally a personality trait that could be borderline debilitating if true, but all they'll be thinking is "Hey, this guy's psychological issues can really work for me!" - This has worked for me on more than one occasion, unfortunately.

Hopefully I wasn't too late to throw in my suggestions, or if I am, I hope you got the job already! ^ . ^

• alt text

• Global Moderator

How did I miss this thread? I've been through a bunch of interviews over the past months and so on.

Anyway, how did it go? :D

• I just applied to a job that's radically different (on the surface) than what I'm doing now. I know I can do it, but if I get the job, it's going to be using a set of skills that I normally don't use. Public speaking, for instance.

I'm currently employed with the same company I've been with for 11 years, but I'm hoping to move along to something a bit more fulfilling. It's not going to be less stressful, but it's going to be DIFFERENT stress.

My biggest tip for an interview is to relax and be genuine. I have gotten nervous in job interviews before and botched them. lol

• I work in the media industry.

A general rule of thumb is to never dress more than a director would on set (i.e. no more than a collared plaid shirt). So I generally just dress decently and act normal. Portfolio and experiences speak for themselves.

For other industries I've heard "never wear a clean pair of work boots to an interview".

I think in terms of attire, don't look square. If you don't normally dress up, then you'll feel unnatural doing it for an interview. So dress a way you feel nice and therefore you'll feel on-point and relaxed.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.