Nintendo Direct Mini 1.11.2018

Since there's a lot of announcements packed in there, I figured a separate topic would help.

My takeaways:

• The World Ends With You - Final Remix: Never cared for that game, I couldn't get into it back in the day, but I know a lot of people absolutely love it so mayyyyybe I'll give it another shot (probably not).
    • Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition: Never played it, could be fun, I might get tempted (probably not).
    • Mario Tennis Aces: Now we're talking! Looks sharp, and there will be a story mode!! They're listening! That one shot straight up my radar.
    • Super Mario Odyssey: A fun free (?) multiplayer update, and some new costumes, why not!
    • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: The DLC now confirmed to be featuring Donkey Kong, yay! I was hoping for him, and looks like there's new enemies and world too, can't wait for that one!
    • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Don't think I'll buy it again... oh wait Funky Kong? FINE I'll buy it again... (probably not)
    • Dark Souls Remastered: Well I'm a heathen and never played it so... probably.

• I'm all kinds of excited about The World Ends With You Final Mix even if I think this game straight up doesn't work right on a single screen (nevermind on a controller).

Don't really care about Hyrule Warriors or Mario+Rabbids but they look good for what they are. Oddysey's update is simple but looks fun. Might go back for that. Zero interest in anything else there. If I ever feel the need to play Tropical Freeze again I still got my Wii U. I never liked the Souls series frankly.

Mario Tennis Aces looks surprisingly fun. Don't know what about it caught my eye but I'll probably pick it up.

• No 3rd Party Support My Ass!!!

• @Yoshi I mean, kinda I guess.
    In terms of third party support I'm really only seeing hackneyed ports and remasters, but still not much in the way of original third party content.

Thankfully the first party stuff is top tier.

• Personally, I'm super excited for The World Ends With You (which I loved on the DS but would have preferred it without touchscreen controls, which seems to be an option this time) and I'm incredibly hyped for a Dark Souls remaster.

As much as I adore Dark Souls in its original form, it had plenty of issues with performance and parts of it were just straight up unfinished by the developers own admission, so the thought of a more refined version of one of my favourite games of all time is something I can't wait for. Hell, if it has a more stable online experience and Izalith is improved, that alone would make it worth several more playthroughs to me.

Donkey Kong has my attention too, since Kyle's enthusiasm has always had be curious about it but there was no way I was buying a Wii U until it was better supported, which just never happened. o_o

• I don’t typically buy remasters if I own the base game, but Dark Souls?? My favorite game ever made? There’s a good chance I’ll be buying two more copies. PS4 for that wonderful 1080p and 60fps and multiplayer, and Switch so I can go hollow on the go.

@Axel If you ever want a co-op buddy, don’t forget me! Dark Souls has amazing multiplayer.

• @Billy Sure, I'll probably need all the help I can get! :D

@Lux-Noctis If you've never played it then DK Tropical Freeze is a must! I'm actually very glad this game is going to get a second chance, it deserves to sell millions.

• @Axel Yeah I'm definitely going to pick it up, it's been a gap in my gaming experience for too long already. :P

@Billy I'm probably going to double dip too, I want it on PC for playing at home but the thought of Dark Souls on a plane is too good to pass up!

• Yay Ill finally get a chance to finish Tropical Freeze after the external HDD for my WiiU died, and is it me or do the BOTW costumes in Hyrule Warriors seem a bit off.
    Queen of Fighters (Not its title but I'm calling it that) might convince me its time to get a fightstick for my Switch, alongside the Street Fighter collection.
    TWEY ill finally be able to play ( Admittedly ive had the DS original for like 2 years, just seemed like something that deserved a bigger screen and a sound system to enjoy)
    Mario Tennis looks great, nice to see a story mode come back.

Overall I'd say a nice start to the year.

• @El-Shmiablo Ys VIII only came out in 2016. and it wasn't until March 2017 that it got a western release.

you can't expect much fresher 3rd Party support than that at this point in Switches Life.

hell Playstation and Xbox have been doing the whole timed exclusives thing for ages now. this is basically the same thing. Ys VIII was a Vita and PS4 game, now it's simply being ported to Switch very soon afterwards.

• Dark souls remastered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is it excluisive or not?

• I didn't have time for Ys VIII last year, so this is wonderful news to me.

If anyone has never played the original Dark Souls, but has been curious, definitely jump on this remaster, for whatever your preferred system, because if it fixes the lagfest of that one area, it's worth it!

Tropical Freeze is getting the second chance it deserves!

Mario Tennis Aces...seems promising...I hope?

SNK Heroines thingie....that's weird...right? Is it weird? I need a Ben hottake on that one.

Also, if Ys VIII is coming to the Switch, can I beg for a port of Tokyo Xanadu since I missed that one last year too, lol.

• @Lux-Noctis I enjoy platformers, but not to the extent that some of the allies do. That said? Tropical Freeze is a 10!

• @FF7Cloud Nope. Trailer up on the Playstation youtube channel.

• I am definitely in for Hyrule Warriors, Ys 8 and Dark Souls probably SNK Heroins and even though it was already known Dragon Quest Builders.

• @FF7Cloud Not Exclusive but it doesn't need to be. this is just a big indicator that 3rd Parties are starting to look at Supporting Nintendo much more than they used to.

• @Minamik I tend not to enjoy the ones with a 2D perspective so much usually, but there are exceptions when the quality of the game is just way up there, and I feel like this is going to be one of those. Thanks for your input, this gives me even more confidence in it. :P

• Polygon has an article about the Dark Souls Remaster. It is coming to all the expected platforms, and they have stated the resolution and FPS specs you can expect for each system:

Xbox One (1080p, 60 fps)
        PlayStation 4 (1080p, 60 fps)
        Xbox One X (Upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
        PlayStation 4 Pro (Upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
        PC (Native 4K, all textures 2K unconverted, 60 fps)
        Nintendo Switch (TV mode: 1080p, 30 fps; Handheld mode: 720p 30 fps)

The Mario Odyssey balloon mode caught my eye. It's an interesting competitive mechanic, I wonder anyone happens to remember a game that has done something similar before? Obviously a lot of games are specifically based around "capture the flag", but perhaps there's been something closer to this? I feel like I'm forgetting an obvious example.

I'll also second/third that the Mario Tennis Aces looked unexpectedly cool. I doubt I'll be excited enough to make room for it, as like so many others these days my hands are full with gaming priorities.

• @Yoshi well it looks like im buying 2 copies 1 for ps4 to coop with my buddies and a switch version to show support to my favorite devloper

• @Lux-Noctis Yeah, I mean, don't let yourself get too pumped up by the zeitgeist, haha.

I was one of the people that was mad that this was getting made, but when I finally gave it a shot, I was happy to eat my words, lol. The music and level design are great, and the difficulty is just right, not super easy like most modern Mario games.

Also, just, Dark Souls getting a remaster in general is good news, lol. I don't care what anyone plays it on, haha. If it fixes some of the issues with the original release, then that's just great.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.