Yo Allies! What's the last game that surprised you?

• @Minamik I've been tempted to try Fragile multiple times despite the fact I'm a giant coward, the hefty price tag doesn't help either.

The latest surprise I had was probably Shovel Knight which I was expecting to be good but I ended up absolutely loving it, and before that Trails of Cold Steel, which I decide to give a shot, then the intro made me expect the worst and it ended up as one of my favorite JRPGs

• @bard91 Oh, it's not really as scary of a game as it seems. My dream would be for it to get a remaster with traditional controls, but I think that's a bit of a pipe dream since it sold so little when it released.

I may have given up on Tri-Ace by now, but Tri-Crescendo has yet to do wrong by me, lol.

• @Minamik I'm sure it's not that scary, I'm just that much of a coward, yeah rerelease would be awesome but it seems very unlikely

• Global Moderator

@Lux-Noctis First of all, welcome to pur cosy corner of the internet! Hope you enjoy your stay!

In terms of the question you ask. I must say Gravity Rush on my Vita. I commute a couple hours each week and have been hunting for portal games to play. This happened to be cheap (or if it even was PS+ free) I decided to give it a shot to just kinda fool around in whilst on the train. Must say I got really captured into the world and Kat are a great character. I still struggle with the air combat a little bit, but its nothing that stops me from doing progress and enjoying myself.

• @bard91 I mean, I'd say it's about as scary as exploring Mementos, personally, but hey, Youtube is a thing, so you could always look at videos to see how it affects you.

• @Lotias I think you mean falling (with style) controls. :p

I was awful with them too, in both games, lol.

• Global Moderator

@Minamik Haha yeah deffo falling with style! :D People tells me its getting easier once you level the skills up a bit more, but at the moment its more about going in the general direction I want then hope for the best :D

• @Lotias Yup, that's Gravity Rush, lol.

• @Lotias That's a solid pick, and thanks for the warm welcome! My only issue with the Vita is that my hands cramp after about 8 minutes, so whilst I tried Gravity Rush out I never got very far :P I really should pick up the remaster or the second one on PS4 though, those games look beautiful and I've heard nothing but good things.

I've gotten more into portable games since the Switch because it coincided with me having to take a bunch of long flights. I've gotta say, Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have been godsends when on long-haul flights. I'd have been SO bored without them.

• The World Ends With You was something I picked up on a whim back in 2007, and god damn was I floored. It's one of my favorite games of all time, another one that comes to mind is Night in the woods it was something that once I started I just couldn't put it down although, I had heard a lot of hype around it I was still caught off guard with how much it resonated with me. Also, welcome to the forums!!! :D Céad Míle Fáilte!!

• Apologies for replying in a big old lump here, I didn't realise I'd be kept on a short leash because I'm new, but my posts are super limited so it's the best way I can handle it for now I guess.

@El-Shmiablo I've watched a ton of people playing Overcooked and it does look hilarious :P I don't have it myself because of my aforementioned anti-social tendencies, but I'm totally onboard with it in spirit.

@Rock Vampire has been sitting in my Steam library for a long, long time now. I've really got to play it when I'm done with the pile of RPGs I thought it would be a good idea to start all at once. o_o And hey, 15 hours is plenty, when you're done you're done. I used to try beat everything I started but nowadays I take the same approach, and gaming is way more relaxing as a result.

As for Wolfenstein, the new ones are just so different to the older games I can see why you'd miss the style of the past. It's definitely been reinvented in a similar way to modern Doom, which is probably a love it or hate it kind of thing. I'm not really a fan of Doom, but I was pleasantly surprised by the places the story went in The New Colossus, even if I wasn't crazy about the gameplay.

@Chocobop La-Mulana is something I haven't even heard of, but the way you describe how it prepares you for puzzles reminds me of how I felt with The Witness. The whole idea of tough but rewarding gameplay is something I'm a big fan of, so that might be right up my street. ^ . ^ I'd love to hear your thoughts when you reach the end too!

@Hidz So far I've only played Yakuza 3, and I enjoyed that quite a lot. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on both 0 and Kiwami because I want to get fully onboard with the series. It was actually Huber's enthusiasm that got me playing 3 so I understand your motivation there. :P If I'd made this post back when RE7 came out that could well have been the game I led with, I was concerned it would fall flat but I ended up really enjoying it.

@Minamik I've heard of that game, but the only thing I know about it is that it's considered a real hidden gem. Quick question, how does it control? I never get on with motion controls which is why my Wii has never seen a whole lot of use. Stories are kind of what I live for, so you saying you were emotionally floored has really peaked my interest.

@bard91 I approve of your signature. :P Ben's enthusiasm for Trails of Cold steel has had me thinking about trying it at some point, but I'm currently knee deep in Persona 5 myself, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Ni No Kuni. Why I thought it was a good idea to do these things all at once, I honestly couldn't tell you. - _ -

@JamboHyland95 I adore The World Ends With You! I picked it up because of the Nomura influence and did not regret it, totally getting it again now it's coming to Switch. ^ . ^ The devs have expressed interest in making a sequel a bunch over the years too, so hopefully this re-release does well enough to make that happen.

As for Night in the Woods, I've heard a fair few people say it's one of their favourites of last year. I get the impression it's short too, so I need to squeeze that in somewhere.

Sorry again for the enourmous post everyone, you all gave me some of your time so I wanted to make sure I returned the favour. This won't have to happen when the forum trusts me some, so please bear with me. <3

• Personally, the instances of surprise for me are negative. I'm really picky about what I want to try and often I really like or find a game adequate.

There are three distinct instances which I tried them primarily because they are heralded as great games, but for me, I came away intensely disappointed to say the least. I know I've said as much in another thread, a long while ago, so I'll just keep to the games, but for one reason or another, I felt burned by the following:

Final Fantasy VI
    Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
    Inside

Oh, and Final Fantasies VIII and XIII for trying those on my own and viscerally despising.

• @Lux-Noctis that makes me realize I should change my signature, it was true pretty much for most of April but that is long gone, and just because I never get tired of it, I'll say just drop Ni No Kuni because that game is trash :P and to keep in line with the thread it is easily the most negative surprised I've ever had in gaming, never has love turned to hate for me like that.

• Wouldn't say it's the most recent one since it was like four and a half years ago at this point but the one that immediately springs to mind is Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F. I'd never played the previous games, never really got into vocaloids or anything to that effect, but I was bored one night looking up PS3 demos and came across it (I think this was either right before or right after it came out stateside.) I remembered a guy I knew in high school swore by the PSP ones and figured "yeah sure why not." Ended up buying the game later that night because it was so fun and I wound up putting over 100 hours into the game across both the PS3 and Vita versions by the time all was said and done. Easily my favorite game of 2013, though oddly enough I never got too deep into F2nd and never touched the newer ones since then.

• @Brannox I definitely feel you with FFXIII, and VI didn't capture my attention when I put a few hours into it back in the day, for whatever reason. FFVIII always seems to be the most polarising one of the bunch, I actively disliked some of the design choices and that intro is unforgivably dull, it grew on me some but it's definitely low on my list of FF games personally.

I adore Shadow of the Colossus and Inside, but given how atypical those games are I can definitely understand why they wouldn't appeal to everyone. I'm curious, what are a couple of games that you love?

@bard91 It's actually interesting to hear someone with such a negative opinion since Ni No Kuni seems to be so beloved. :P I'm not way into the battle system, that i'll admit, but the art, world, and music I've found pretty charming so far. I can't help but wonder what made love turn to hate, so feel free to share provided it isn't too spoilery.

@DeweyDTruman I feel like I see Hatsune Miku games coming out like clockwork but I've never actually played one myself. I'm actually not even sure how it plays, I guess I've just assumed it's a turn-based JRPG but I could be totally wrong. What about it grabbed you once you started playing?

• You don't start Trails with Cold Steel. You start with Trails in the Sky. I will not sway on this! lol

Also, Ni no Kuni isn't that bad, haha. The combat isn't amazing, but everything else is great.

• @Lux-Noctis It's hard to answer and keep it paired down to a couple. So I'll provide my favorite 30 games. There's another place here you can find my list, but it's been tweaked a bit since I posted that. The following is in order:

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy X
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    The Last of Us: Part II
    DOOM II
    Kingdom Hearts
    Gears of War 2
    Mass Effect
    Ratchet & Clank (2016)
    DOOM (2016)
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Portal 2
    Left 4 Dead
    DOOM (1993)
    Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
    Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Kingdom Hearts II
    Final Fantasy XII
    God of War
    Mass Effect 2
    Gears of War
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Batman: Arkham City
    Spyro: The Dragon
    Sly 2: Band of Thieves
    Batman: Arkham Knight
    Pokemon Red/Blue
    Dishonored 2
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

So RPGs, FPSs, Action-Adventure, and primarily (but not completely) I prefer games with a heavy story/single player emphasis.

• @Lux-Noctis Your posts are limited until you get a certain amount of upvotes. So guys upvote his posts please.

• Also, Fragile Dreams controls are pretty janky, lol. But once I got into it, I kinda let it slide.

• @ib0show wait seriously? I guess that makes sense against spambots or whatever, but I find that pretty annoying for any new user