Yo Allies! What's the last game that surprised you?

• @Brannox I definitely feel you with FFXIII, and VI didn't capture my attention when I put a few hours into it back in the day, for whatever reason. FFVIII always seems to be the most polarising one of the bunch, I actively disliked some of the design choices and that intro is unforgivably dull, it grew on me some but it's definitely low on my list of FF games personally.

I adore Shadow of the Colossus and Inside, but given how atypical those games are I can definitely understand why they wouldn't appeal to everyone. I'm curious, what are a couple of games that you love?

@bard91 It's actually interesting to hear someone with such a negative opinion since Ni No Kuni seems to be so beloved. :P I'm not way into the battle system, that i'll admit, but the art, world, and music I've found pretty charming so far. I can't help but wonder what made love turn to hate, so feel free to share provided it isn't too spoilery.

@DeweyDTruman I feel like I see Hatsune Miku games coming out like clockwork but I've never actually played one myself. I'm actually not even sure how it plays, I guess I've just assumed it's a turn-based JRPG but I could be totally wrong. What about it grabbed you once you started playing?

• You don't start Trails with Cold Steel. You start with Trails in the Sky. I will not sway on this! lol

Also, Ni no Kuni isn't that bad, haha. The combat isn't amazing, but everything else is great.

• @Lux-Noctis It's hard to answer and keep it paired down to a couple. So I'll provide my favorite 30 games. There's another place here you can find my list, but it's been tweaked a bit since I posted that. The following is in order:

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy X
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    The Last of Us: Part II
    DOOM II
    Kingdom Hearts
    Gears of War 2
    Mass Effect
    Ratchet & Clank (2016)
    DOOM (2016)
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Portal 2
    Left 4 Dead
    DOOM (1993)
    Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
    Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Kingdom Hearts II
    Final Fantasy XII
    God of War
    Mass Effect 2
    Gears of War
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Batman: Arkham City
    Spyro: The Dragon
    Sly 2: Band of Thieves
    Batman: Arkham Knight
    Pokemon Red/Blue
    Dishonored 2
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

So RPGs, FPSs, Action-Adventure, and primarily (but not completely) I prefer games with a heavy story/single player emphasis.

• @Lux-Noctis Your posts are limited until you get a certain amount of upvotes. So guys upvote his posts please.

• Also, Fragile Dreams controls are pretty janky, lol. But once I got into it, I kinda let it slide.

• @ib0show wait seriously? I guess that makes sense against spambots or whatever, but I find that pretty annoying for any new user

• @Lux-Noctis I loved the game the first few hours and I actually bought a PS3 in no small measure because of it, an RPG in collaboration with Ghibli, I could hardly think of something better.

Then the ugly side of things started showing, a story that lost any interest I had in it, never-ending uninteresting dialogue written as if the audience were stupid, amazingly stupid companion AI that turned an ok battle system into an exercise in frustration management, a terrible ending that felt incredibly rushed (because it was, if I remember correctly), no amount of charm was able to make me overlook how bad the game was in many aspects, and once the hype and introduction was done it all went downhill

• One game that really surprised me was Sleeping Dogs. I purchased it on a whim, TRU was having a BOGO 50% and I was really going for Darksiders 2. I had no idea what the second game I was going to get but I knew I really wanted Darksiders. So I just picked Sleeping Dogs based off the cover. After being disappointed with Darksiders and opened Sleeping Dogs and had a blast, I even purchased the Ultimate Edition when it came out on XB1

• @Lux-Noctis They're rhythm games which I am always down for, and F is just a really, really fun one. Honestly I think it was a "right place right time" thing more than anything else. The songs were catchy (though not the kind of stuff I'd ever hunt down to listen to otherwise, but that's true of a lot of rhythm games I've enjoyed like EBA for example), the videos in the background are neat and as someone that always loves character customization being able to unlock so many different costumes for each character (between the ones designed for the specific song and others that are just there for the sake of it like Rin's costume based on Arle from Puyo Puyo) was a real treat.

@Henry-Ramirez You just reminded me of another example: Zone of the Enders. I only got it since Gamestop was having a buy two get one free sale when I was like 13 or 14 and I'd already chosen Ratchet and Clank (good stuff) and MGS2 (which I never actually played beyond an hour or so until only a few years ago) and its cover just kinda looked neat. Wound up loving it. Wouldn't call it better than ZoE2 but I think it gets a bum rap in that department, it's still a cool little game.

• Gravity Rush 2. That last act is simply out of this world! Nuff' said.

• @Minamik See if you start with Trails in the Sky that's a whole other giant RPG added to the list, I can't keep up! :P As for Fragile Dreams, that whole thing about the controls is really what put me off the Wii in general, like even with the Mario Galaxy games which are excellent in almost every respect, I just couldn't get along with the waggle controls and whatnot. Whilst a re-release does seem unlikely I'd love to see one, so I could give it a shot without the jank.

• @bard91 Ahh that's unfortunate! I'm really just trying to play catch up before Ni No Kuni 2, which looks more appealing to me thanks to the more action-heavy combat. I love me some Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy, so a Level 5 RPG with those kinds of mechanics just seem to sit right with me. Here's to hoping the second game's a step up!

• @Henry-Ramirez Yes, Sleeping Dogs needs so much more love than it gets! It's always on sale for ridiculously little money now as well, even the Ultimate Edition. I have a crazy amount of respect for the developers too, after I played it I did a little reading about them, and their intention was to make a mechanically dense open world, where each one of its core systems was robust enough to prop up an entire game. So the hand-to-hand they wanted to be as good as a fighting game, the driving as good as a racer etc. Whilst they arguably didn't quite reach the heights they were aiming for, they set the quality bar super high in my opinion. Couple that with an interesting, seldom explored setting and you've got a real winner. Good pick man, 100% with you on this one.

• @DeweyDTruman Oh it's a rhythm game, since I'm wading through so many big JRPGs that actually makes it more appealing to me, to be honest. I know what you mean about right place, right time too, it's a good feeling when a game absorbs you because it was totally what you needed in that moment.

• @bam541 Nothing but positivity surrounds that game, I gotta play it at some point but there's just so much good stuff right now it's crazy! I feel like "out of this world" is an inside reference that's going to click for me once I get there. :P

• If we're talking in negative way: Kingdom hearts Re:chain of memories. I enjoyed the first Kingdom Hearts, but Re:chains' combat was so frustrating. I went from "wat" to "Now I get it! It's pretty fun!" to "Fuck this". It's the only game where I hardquit out of frustration because of the gameplay and looked up the cinematics on youtube just to get the story.

• @Fridge-man I played the GBA version of Chain of Memories and remember having a similar experience. Towards the closing chapters it just became super frustrating for me as well, I think in part because the battle system felt very limited and also because having card-based combat is a pretty good way to pull me out of a world in general. I hard quit too, it really didn't feel worth the time.

I love me some KH usually, although I'm not entirely up to speed. I need to grab that collection and catch up with Birth By Sleep and 2.8, but yeah some of those filler games, not great unfortunately.

• Positive

• Hollow Knight - I knew very little going in but this turned out to be one of the best games of last year. Atmosphere, graphics, animations, somber tone, all top notch. Also way longer than I expected, in a good way. If you like 'metroidvania' style games this is a must play. (and better than any Metroid or Castlevania game, excluding Castlevania IV)
    • Divinity Original Sin II - Best RPG ever made. Too bad it might be a little too 'hardcore' game for it's own good. People have to play this game.

Negative

• Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Played this first time just a couple of weeks ago and oh boy, it doesn't hold up at all. Combat is just trash and controls are clunky as all hell. I bailed out after 10 chapters.
    • Final Fantasy X - Loved VI, VIII and IX so X took me by surprise. This is where the series started to crash and burn. All of the characters suck, sphere grid is only an illusion of choice, Blitz ball being a stat based rpg, Seymour's hair... I could go on and on.

Somewhere in between

• The Last of Us - Finished this couple of months ago for the first time and I don't see the hype for the story. Maybe I'm just late to the party but the story of TLoU is extremely basic and predictable, although very well executed. I still loved the game overall but expected more from the story. (maybe unreasonably so)

• @Marketplace_DC Always glad to see someone else hating on Uncharted :P

Divinity II while very appealing, is as you mentioned intimidating, I find myself still struggling getting through Pillars of Eternity, which I can't find myself devoting a lot of time to it on a single seating, so I'm not jumping into Divinity anytime soon I think

• @Marketplace_DC said in Yo Allies! What's the last game that surprised you?:

• The Last of Us - Finished this couple of months ago for the first time and I don't see the hype for the story. Maybe I'm just late to the party but the story of TLoU is extremely basic and predictable, although very well executed. I still loved the game overall but expected more from the story. (maybe unreasonably so)

I liked TLOU but honestly, I think it's like an 8 outta 10. I never understood the people treating it like it was the second coming. I'll get TLOU2 and I'll probably dig it but I'm not gonna pre-order it months in advance and I'm not anticipating it being my GOTY (or even on my top five list) like I'm sure a lot of people are.