Yo Allies! What's the last game that surprised you?

• @Exist-2-Inspire Danganronpa's aesthetic has always looked very appealing to me, and when I played the start on Vita I loved Monokuma straight away but it was how slow moving around was etc. that put me off. I think I'll try it on the PC instead when I give it another shot. :P

• @Lux-Noctis I'm close to finishing the third Danganronpa, while I've liked all three I do think they are extremely tiresome to get through and rewarding enough but if I weren't already invested in them I might say they are not worth the amount of time they take, there's definitively cool stuff in them but I feel it is buried beneath a glacial slow progression that can be pretty tough to get through, I would recommend the Zero Escape games any day over Danganronpa.

• @bard91 Oh yeah, didn't those get a PC re-release too?

• yep, there's the Nonary Games which are the first two games and are both very good, the third is Zero Time Dilemma, which I don't think it is as good, but if you like the previous two it is worth it as a conclusion

• @Lux-Noctis yeah it automatically plays on the wii u gamepads screen if you play the VC version. it still looks better on the tv though.

• @bard91 Sweet, I'm on it :P I did try a little of 999 on the DS way back, but I never could get along with that tiny screen. I only ever finished one game on DS, The World Ends With You, and that's just because it felt worth experience in spite of the system. Even the PS Vita I find to be kind of annoying to use because of the size of the display, thankfully the Switch has found a sweet spot so portable play doesn't bug me now. :P

@Yoshi Ah I see, I thought it'd be a pixel density situation, where it being displayed on the smaller screen smooths out the visuals some. Like with the Switch I've intentionally hooked the dock up to a second 1080p screen because it looks much cleaner than it does on my 4K one. It's been a very long time since I've handled a Wii U gamepad though so I really can't remember how good that screen is in the first place.

Also, can I just say thanks to everyone in this post, I never expected my first post (or any post for that matter) to gain this much traction and lead to such a cool discussion.

I feel very welcome here, L&R to you all. <3

• Elex- I've only put a few hours into it but it seems pretty fun so far. I gambled on it despite the mixed reviews it got because I was in the mood for an open world rpg. The devs seem to have patched the major bugs out with another on a the way. Defiantly worth a shot if you can get it for a good price. ACG's review on YouTube is good & balanced if interested.

• @FutureCorpse I watched ACG's review of that actually. I get the impression Pihrana Bytes are a "greater than the sum of its parts" kind of developer, where there's some jank here and there but if you can put up with the problems there's a solid experience for people willing to give them the time and accept the quirks. Good pick, man.

• Banned

Mother Russia Bleeds. Basically Streets of Rage on Krokodil. Everything about this game makes me feel uneasy. Character designs, level backgrounds, the sickly industrial sound the whole soundtrack has. Not to mention its just a kick ass beatemup.
    "Bad vibes" in the best possible way.

• @El-Shmiablo I think I remember Huber talking about that way back, it seems to have slipped under the radar for most people, myself included.

On a similar note though, Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World was a pleasant surprise for me. Awesome beat 'em up with one of the best chiptune soundtracks of all time in my opinion! It's a shame music licensing issues are the reason you can't really get ahold of it anymore - _ - but if you have a way to play it and like the genre, I 100% recommend it, especially with a co-op buddy!

• WipeOut HD fell off my shelf last night totally unexpectedly.