Making Design Documents!

• Hey! I just stumbled upon this while aimlessly browsing...did you happen to post to one of the recent showcases? It seems really familiar. Either way this looks really awesome!

• @robbobwill Not super recently, I posted to The March showcase about starting to make this idea into an actual game. I wanted to submit for the April showcase but I was a few hours late and my submission didn’t make it into the show. Hopefully I can get it together for May, haha.

• Gosh I haven’t updated this in forever. I have actually made more progress, just need to post about it.

• @michemagius Hehe yeah, I guess that was a few months ago, wasn't it? I tend to let them build up and listen to them for background sound. It also sounded familiar because I've been playing around with RPG Maker for a month or two myself, but for me it's more because I really want to make a game but lack any kind of artistic skills. I want to dig into those plugins for instance but am struggling with the limited default assets to actually make anything.

Anyways, hope you don't mind, but I just wanted to share from a fellow aspiring game maker.

• @robbobwill Glad to hear from someone else who doesn’t hate RPGMaker haha. And there’s plugins for expanding the default size/amount of assets, so they might help somewhat. Plus I think the RPG Maker site has downloadable content to expand your assets.

• I've only just seen this thread, great stuff!
    Here's some unsolicited advice from a fellow game designer!

If you're working on a personal project like this try not to get too bogged down with writing a design doc. It may feel great to try and get everything down on paper first but things will quickly grow and change once you start putting the game together. Especially if it is your first project.

In short: any documentation should be used as a starting point and not the final word.

Using google docs is a great way to do it especially when you're breaking things down into separate documents like you are doing. But if you want to try something a bit more involved that will also help you prototype a lot of the mechanical and story stuff you'll be doing in RPG Maker I would highly recommend articy:draft (https://www.nevigo.com/en/articydraft/overview/). There is a bit of a learning curve to it but it is an amazing tool for narrative and stat driven game design. You can work out all you branching and variable tracking for it well in advance and just being able to step through your story and scenes will help you refine it quickly.

As for implementation do not worry about having the right or perfect assets in place right away. An early build that you can play from start to finish using the stock RPG Maker assets is far more valuable than a 10min slice of the game that you've put a year of your life into. But also take a look around the RPG Maker community online. There are loads of really powerful plug-ins available for it and all people want for you using them is a credit.

I hope the above is useful to you :)

• @thenerdtheword Thanks for the advice! That scripting program sound really cool. I think it will be useful for planning out the specifics of the battle system. I’ve got all the classes and attack types sorted out, but I haven’t got any hard numerical values yet. As you said the RPG Maker community is great. I’ve been fiddling with a lot of different plugins to see what I can accomplish with pre-existing plugins and what I’ll have to make myself. I actually made my first plugin last month. It’s.....mostly functional. And you’re totally right about the assets. I’m kind of in the set up mode right now where I’m just getting the systems that drive the game worked out, and I’m only using the assets that come with RPG Maker for my tests. I’ve been making art for a long time, but my art style is stupidly time consuming so I know that the drawing portion of this game will likely be the most time consuming. And because of that, I’d like to have the backbone at least mostly done, before I really commit to creating my own assets and importing them.

I’m planning on making a video some time this week, covering some highlights of my progress over these past 2 months, for the Community Showcase. It will likely just be talking about my plugin, the plugins I’m currently testing out, and showing some concept art.

• @michemagius awesome! I can't wait to see how it is all coming together :)

• Alright! Got the video finished, so my submission should definitely make it into the showcase this time!

• @michemagius Great! I'd like to see that as well. This is all really informative and making me realize I'm going about it kind of wrong myself. Sounds like the way to go is more writing, less staring at a default level and trying to figure out where to position default assets to make it look ok, like I've been doing? :)

@thenerdtheword Hope you don't mind if I co-opt your advice? It seems quite helpful. :)

• @robbobwill I don’t think there’s really a wrong way to do things. Whatever works for you is what’s best. I just benefit from having all my thoughts in one place so that I can refer to them while working.

• Here is my Update Video for the Community Showcase:
    Youtube Video