God Help Me. She watched Anime.

• EZA community. Please give me all your prayers to Mother Mary, Jesus, and Kyle Bosman... for my lovely girlfriend of three years has decided to watch... sigh... an anime.

Of course, your natural reaction would be "Come on, Chris. Anime is fun and nothing to be ashamed of". Besides your obvious denial of shame, you must understand the dilemma I face here.

She does not understand internet pop culture (she only recently started describing every image as a "meme"). She doesn't play games. She only knows of her brother watching Dragonball Z.

Oh but this was not Dragonball Z. No no no. She looked at my watchlist on one of the anime apps I had a free trial on. "I want to watch a [sic] animes [sic] with you and see what it is. How about this one?" clicks Future Diary. Damn it all. Kill me now. Write up how we are to split up our shared valuables in the inevitable break up.

We watch an episode or so. She is into it and nothing has gone awry. In fact, she is really into it. Like your obsessive friend is into The Bachelor (alongside her boyfriend who claims to dislike it but looks at Instagram for the drama).

Then it happens. Anime nudity. I cringe to myself hoping for no reaction. Then a totally-oriented-at-male-viewers lesbian breast squeeze. I cringe again awaiting the comment. Then more breasts. Am I in the clear? Has she just understood anime breasts to be like a Game of Thrones HBO-ified non-issue? One a loving girlfriend can look beyond?

We make it to the final episode. She has yet to comment on it. Then she decided she hated the show because of plot holes she Google'd after deciding she hated the ending. And she struck.

"You probably only liked it for the anime boobs"

All sense of respect dissipates from my ego and I die

fin

• Communication can fix all of this. Also, if she's the one who picked the show, I don't see the problem.

• Girlfriends are for normies anyway.

• Yep, @Mbun nailed it, communication is key. You could always try to find an anime you think she would like based on some of her other interests, since there seems to be anime out there for every kind of person. Or just put on Cowboy Bebop and let the majesty wash over the both of you.

Then again, as Single Bachelor Man™ maybe my advice isn't exactly the best out there.

• @Mbun She picked it. From my watchlist.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in God Help Me. She watched Anime.:

Yep, @Mbun nailed it, communication is key. You could always try to find an anime you think she would like based on some of her other interests, since there seems to be anime out there for every kind of person. Or just put on Cowboy Bebop and let the majesty wash over the both of you.

Then again, as Single Bachelor Man™ maybe my advice isn't exactly the best out there.

Oh I will survive this. But the jokes about anime characters will probably kill me. I can show her tons of other anime, but she will always know that I liked this one. I am trying to throw her at Full Metal Alchemist or Death Note. I think both of those are action-y enough for here and tame enough on the tropes.

• @HeyItsThatChris said:

From my watchlist.

Does that mean you had or hadn't watched it? If you hadn't, kinda hard for you to know ahead of time that one episode has one fanservicey moment... well unless you had google image searched it, cause those spirited moments are of course always the first results for any show with any of them cause people be people. If you had, and it kinda seems like from your opening post you had and were aware of this exact moment when you two started watching it, then maybe she's right, since the warning flags went off in your head and you labeled the entire show in this light.

Death Note

In before Misa Amane.

Just do what @SabotageTheTruth said, and show her a bunch of shows to pick from based on her own interests and give one a shot with her. Then you two can laugh together if gross fanservice comes up in a show it doesn't belong in. Here's a site that lists shows coming up each season if you want to break into new stuff too. http://anichart.net

Also be sure to laugh back if whatever show yall end up watching has male fanservice in it, anime or otherwise. If you can make her realize she probably enjoys that kinda thing as well, it'll help normalize it's presence to some degree, and that's better than lying to one another and pretending you hate it. Of course make sure she knows you're interested in and appreciate her more than the imaginary anime character or whatever, assuming that's the case.

• @HeyItsThatChris said in God Help Me. She watched Anime.:

Nothin wrong with anime boobs. Or anime pecs if that's your style.

• @Mbun Sadly I had watched it before and knew the explicit and unnecessary nudity would be an issue.

I had to explain to her what fan service was, and she actually loved the obsessive girlfriend archetype (she will grow to hate it if she watches more anime), so I hope Misa is not a huge issue beyond clothing.

The real issue is convincing her to watch more anime.

• @DeweyDTruman said in God Help Me. She watched Anime.:

@HeyItsThatChris said in God Help Me. She watched Anime.:

Nothin wrong with anime boobs. Or anime pecs if that's your style.

Something tells me this won't resonate

• Don't cringe. Don't back down! IN FACT GO FORWARD FULL STEAM AHEAD. Find a good mix of anime tiddies and a good story. Sit her down, and watch Queens Blade. Remind her that this is who you are. THIS IS WHAT YOU LOVE. Now is also the time to introduce her to that anime body pillow you've been hiding in the closet. Nothing too big, just a formal introduction. Get on ebay and show her the wonder of figures. Show her your wishlist, tell her about your dream of having a shelf with figures. Make a plan with her, offer to split the shelf with her, and she can add her favorite characters. Next time she walks up from a nap, cover her in plushies. Kawaii is life, a lesson we must all learn some day. Get matching FAKKU tattoos. Nothing can stop you now. You are both anime, and will live forever in happiness and weebdom.

• @parasitepaladin said in God Help Me. She watched Anime.:

Don't cringe. Don't back down! IN FACT GO FORWARD FULL STEAM AHEAD. Find a good mix of anime tiddies and a good story. Sit her down, and watch Queens Blade. Remind her that this is who you are. THIS IS WHAT YOU LOVE. Now is also the time to introduce her to that anime body pillow you've been hiding in the closet. Nothing too big, just a formal introduction. Get on ebay and show her the wonder of figures. Show her your wishlist, tell her about your dream of having a shelf with figures. Make a plan with her, offer to split the shelf with her, and she can add her favorite characters. Next time she walks up from a nap, cover her in plushies. Kawaii is life, a lesson we must all learn some day. Get matching FAKKU tattoos. Nothing can stop you now. You are both anime, and will fill forever in happiness and weebdom.

Somehow this has been the best advice.

Easy Allies has continued to never fail me!

• @HeyItsThatChris Yeah, I'd go with that advice.
    I never have believed in guilty pleasures. If you love something don't be ashamed.

Though, yeah anime can be trying. Even some of the best series, gave those moments that can be awkward. Just have to let the rest speak for itself, and hope for the best.

Or just stick to Miyazaki movies. That's always a safe bet. That's what I did when my mother wanted to see some anime.

• @Inustar said in God Help Me. She watched Anime.:

Or just stick to Miyazaki movies. That's always a safe bet. That's what I did when my mother wanted to see some anime.

Just remember that Princess Mononoke is too intense for younger kids. I forgot to mention that to a mom who I recommended show her young son some Miyazaki movies. She's like "10 min in, and there's decapitations, and people's limbs being torn off...what are we watching!?!" Kid was like 7. Whoops.

• @HeyItsThatChris said in God Help Me. She watched Anime.:

Search your feelings.. you know it to be true

• @TokyoSlim Kids gotta learn sooner or later what happens when you lose your head.

• @Inustar Yeah, but like - i think it's generally a mom's job to try and delay that as long as possible. I mean, I killed my first village samurai at around seven years of age, but it was a different time and a different society.

• @parasitepaladin I thought it was impossible to like you more. I was wrong.

On topic, eh, find something that you think is a good show and not just a good anime. It’s why I usually just recommend the big anime that everyone knows about whenever someone asks me what to watch to “get into it”. Imagine if something like Death Note never existed and then popped up as an HBO original show starring Jake Gyllenhaal as L. If that show is still a pretty great show (and it is, because Jakey G is a damn great actor and the plot is fundamentally good), then it’s the entry point you’re after.

Or just force them to watch Ouran Highschool Host Club. If they don’t like the best, why bother with the rest? Worked for me.

• You should watch High School DxD next