Dark Souls Remaster reportedly NOT using new assets - thoughts?

• A working Blighttown is more than I ever expected, so yeah, lol.

• @Chocobop That's the same theory I heard, it seems like maybe they had a navmesh that extended all over Blighttown so they can track the player wherever they go, and as a result, all those calculations are just destroying the processor. The lag is reduced by killing all the enemies so it definitely seems to be enemy related in some way, even if it's not specifically that one.

Awesome article by the way, thanks for seeking that out!

• @Minamik Your expectations for this remaster seem a tad low. :P

• @Lux-Noctis Well, all I think when I hear "remaster" is that it looks and plays a little bit better than the original, so yeah, I guess you could say that.

One thing I've come to realize after this many years on the net, is that I have exceedingly low standards, lol.

• Dark Souls is a nearly flawless game. Just being able to play it on PS4 is enough for me. I may even get PS+ just to play co-op with friends because I only got my friends onto the series after the hype of Dark Souls had passed.

• It's a "Remaster" and not a "Remake" so that's pretty much all you can expect.

But yeah, if they can fix blighttown then I'm sold.

• Probably gonna pass on it. I loved Dark Souls. But there's other games I rather play that I haven't gotten around to.

• @DIPSET I respectfully disagree there, Dark Souls is probably my second favourite game of all time but I feel it's very flawed personally. It really is just mostly the game's performances and a few technical hiccups here and there that I'd say need to be fixed for a remaster, which I expect they will do. That and there are a few sections of the game that they didn't have enough time/money to complete in the manner they originally planned, so it'd be great to see the original vision for those realised in a new version. I love it so much though, I want the ultimate high-production version of it so I can hold it up to the world and be like "yo, play this damn thing!", I want it to be as good as possible. :P

@ZyloWolfBane I guess so, in fairness the remaster of Shadow of the Colossus while not transformative was a massive step up from the PS2 release. Just being able to play Dark Souls on the go means I'll be grabbing the Switch version regardless. I guess a part of the reason I'm disappointed in the idea of it being just a straight remaster though is that I've played the game on 360, PS3, and later on a high-end PC which (whilst still having a ton of problems and requiring community fixes) seems like it's doing what this new version will be for the most part. A higher resolution, high-framerate version without the need for an overpriced computer (and all the technical nonsense that goes along with fixing up the game yourself) is a great thing though. Through this discussion I'm warming up to it some, if it's a budget price then it'll make a lot more sense to me.

@Jak That makes sense, I've still got a ton on my to-do list too, what've you got lined up man?

• @Lux-Noctis said in Dark Souls Remaster reportedly NOT using new assets - thoughts?:

@DIPSET I respectfully disagree there, Dark Souls is probably my second favourite game of all time but I feel it's very flawed personally. It really is just mostly the game's performances and a few technical hiccups here and there that I'd say need to be fixed for a remaster, which I expect they will do. That and there are a few sections of the game that they didn't have enough time/money to complete in the manner they originally planned, so it'd be great to see the original vision for those realised in a new version. I love it so much though, I want the ultimate high-production version of it so I can hold it up to the world and be like "yo, play this damn thing!", I want it to be as good as possible. :P

@ZyloWolfBane I guess so, in fairness the remaster of Shadow of the Colossus while not transformative was a massive step up from the PS2 release. Just being able to play Dark Souls on the go means I'll be grabbing the Switch version regardless. I guess a part of the reason I'm disappointed in the idea of it being just a straight remaster though is that I've played the game on 360, PS3, and later on a high-end PC which (whilst still having a ton of problems and requiring community fixes) seems like it's doing what this new version will be for the most part. A higher resolution, high-framerate version without the need for an overpriced computer (and all the technical nonsense that goes along with fixing up the game yourself) is a great thing though. Through this discussion I'm warming up to it some, if it's a budget price then it'll make a lot more sense to me.

@Jak That makes sense, I've still got a ton on my to-do list too, what've you got lined up man?

I could be wrong but I recall seeing the price was $40. Which isn't too bad, and it comes with the DLC.

But yeah, I just make sure to judge the wording when it comes to stuff like this, a full blown remake is exactly that, a ground up engine overhaul, etc. Whereas remasters in most cases upscale the graphics, improve the framerate and call it a day, it just helps keep expectations in check to think of it this way =)

• As long it's not 60$ and runs well, i'm cool with it. I'm just excited to play it again. I played it on my laptop last time, and i didn't have the best experience playing it. Not to mention, my safe file corrupted half way through the game, so this will be a brand new start for me.

• I don't grieve them not using new assets, but make sure them textures are CRISP and a new lighting system wouldn't hurt.

• @Lux-Noctis said in Dark Souls Remaster reportedly NOT using new assets - thoughts?:

@DIPSET I respectfully disagree there, Dark Souls is probably my second favourite game of all time but I feel it's very flawed personally. It really is just mostly the game's performances and a few technical hiccups here and there that I'd say need to be fixed for a remaster, which I expect they will do. That and there are a few sections of the game that they didn't have enough time/money to complete in the manner they originally planned, so it'd be great to see the original vision for those realised in a new version. I love it so much though, I want the ultimate high-production version of it so I can hold it up to the world and be like "yo, play this damn thing!", I want it to be as good as possible. :P

Oh yeah I recognize it is flawed. Especially when they added the Capra Demon's and the Tarus Demon's one after the other in the lava level. Or the lava dinosaurs in the Lost Izaleth before facing the Bed of Chaos. Then there are performance issues too. I was just screwing around on my PS3 in Dark Souls the other night and the frame drops are pretty annoying.

Regardless, the game is quite long and extremely robust and these hiccups don't negate what I believed to be a nearly flawless game. I seriously can't wait to play this with my roommate in the summer.

• @DIPSET All that I can agree on :P it's one of the greatest for sure. If this version's more refined then I'll be happy to go through it again a bunch more times, especially in co-op with new players!

• my thoughts? it was exactly what i thought it would be, a quick cash-in. Just play the game on PC with DsFix and you will have the exact same game, maybe the physics fixed, but nothing more. It was clear they would use the old game looks since they wanted 60fps on playstation and xbox.

The fact people actually thought this game would be the same in graphics as dark souls 3 were clearly delusional.

• @Lux-Noctis Still got Persona 5 to do. And play through the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 remasters. Never beat any of the KH games. Also just picked up a PC. So I'm having issues putting time aside for a specific game now. Then probably by the summer time, I can play Dark Souls 3.

• I remember this being posted in /r/games, and it was confirmed that all they said was Dark Souls Remaster is not using the new engine from Dark Souls 3.

was there any clarification on that?

• @warweeny I have an issue lately where with DsFix installed, Steam won't allow the game to launch so that's put a spanner in the works for this particular plan, at least for me. If you have a fix for that, it'd be useful info.

Given the Crash and SotC remakes, and just how much money the Crash one made already, I don't think anyone's delusional for thinking one of the most influential games of all time would get the same treatment. It would be a more effective cash grab that way.

• @-Jak- I support all of the things you've listed here, as confusing and convoluted as KH's story is, I love those games. :P If you're sensitive to things like framedrops/stutter, I definitely recommend getting Dark Souls 3 on PC when you decide you want to play it, it's the only version without frame pacing issues (something to do with the engine unfortunately, bloodborne has the same problem) so even if you don't care for 60fps it's going to be more consistent. ^ . ^

• @Stormcrownn The article I linked has been updated with this info.

[Update: Bandai Namco's marketing team has made a post over on Sony's blog that confirms a few details about the upcoming remaster. For starters, HDR is definitely not going to be a part of this, though 4K is in. The multiplayer component will also use dedicated servers and allow for up to six people to participate at once.

There isn't any mention of updated assets, but that could also be construed as there not being any at all. As we get closer to release, we're sure to see some graphical comparison, so we'll just have to stay tuned for now.]

So it looks like there will be some form of Pro/X support and multiplayer should be more functional, beyond that it's looking likely nothing's changing but hey, we can hope. :P

beyond that it's looking likely nothing's changing but hey, we can hope.

Fextralife has said that Bandai Namco has been in contact with them regarding "known issues, bugs and exploits" to fix for the remaster. So we can expect some changes here and there at least.

https://fextralife.com/dark-souls-remaster-coming-switch-ps4-xbox-one-may-25th-2018/