The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• As far as I understand, Danganronpa is sort of similar to Ace Attorney, right? Then I'd probably enjoy it too, I might give it a shot after clearing my backlog a bit.

• Didn't see that one coming. I have 1 & 2 on my PS4 hard drive. Makes me more excited to get stuck into them.

• @Axel can't really say since I have no experience with Ace Attorney (certainly not for lack of interest), but based on the premise I would imagine it ain't too different.

Now on to V3 I have to say that while I did like the ending a lot and I like what it does with the series overall I was begging for it to end, these games just go on for too long and I feel that has a big effect on my enjoyment of them.

• Wow! I didn't expect it to make into Top 25. Thanks to everyone who voted!

It's my GotY, because only with Danganronpa V3 I’ve got completely new understanding of game events when on next day I’ve thought about one image I saw during ending credits. This is the first time I was surprised after exiting the game, and I have to crown that. Also, soundtrack, art design, characters and story are all great.

It's hard to recommend such game to everyone, but if you interested, it's worth checking out. Also there is a free demo if you not sure (that's how I got into the series).

• Will make time for V3 after I've completed 2 and Another episode. Still hyped for this!

• I just need to get to V3... after all the other games I need to get to! I've heard very good things about it anyway.

• @Fridge-man Just so you know, Another Episode is completely different type of game. I still liked it, but it took me some time to get used to it.

• @ffff0 Say whaaat. Thanks for the heads up, might've been an unpleasant surprise.

• @Fridge-man Yes, it's a third-person action game. I didn't particularly liked that it has mixed pacing (long slow cutscenes, and action-oriented gameplay), but on the other hand this game has the best protagonist development in the series. It's a decent game, but if you don't feel it, you can skip this one.

• Totally forgot ME:Andromeda counts for this years awards. Probably my favorite game in the series. And I didn't cast a vote as I totally forgot about it.

• I played very few new games in 2017, so Mass Effect ended up being very high on my list for that reason alone.

That said, I honestly did enjoy it. There's some great writing and story moments hidden in that game, and while the main story was poor, some of the side content was very interesting and well written, the Tempest was a great improvement over the Normandy SR2 (ME2 > ME3), and the crew was really quite strong, with some great loyalty missions.

• @-Jak- said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!:

Probably my favorite game in the series.

Now, THAT’S a Hottake.

• @Billy In regards to Sonic Mania, nostalgic plays very rarely do much for me - especially because I have Sonic 2 loaded up on every device imaginable. So the formula of "recognize this stage? boss fight. hey, this stage is now a little different! boss fight," just felt super hollow to me. I'm not one of the people that says Sonic must always be running fast (there's a lot of fun, slow bits in the first Sonic) but there were several times during Mania where I was absolutely confused on how I should proceed - which hey, could be a fault of my own, but that never happened to me before in a 2D Sonic game. There's just too few moments that felt new and fresh to me - instead, the game felt like the Member Berries from South Park, constantly asking if I remembered certain parts of old Sonic games. I really hope this crew continues to make 2D Sonics though and hopefully the next one has a lot more unique ideas to play with.

This is the year I start Danganronpa, I promise everyone!

• Heck yeah! I’m so glad DRv3 made the list! I felt really bad about making it an honorable mention because I really enjoyed it a lot.

• DRv3 was a tough game to place because I have a very love/hate relationship with the series. It made my list at #3 though because despite getting antsy, annoyed, and even a bit bored in the middle parts of Danganronpa games in general, I know the ending will pay off in a major way and DRv3 delivered in spades. I got laughed at by my partner for using the word 'culmination' to describe how this game felt but it is completely apt.

What really surprised me most though, and the reason it got bumped up to my #3 slot, was how I got sucked into the mini game that unlocks after the end game. They always have a social mode, so you can hang out with all the classmates that you missed during the main game, but this time I couldn't get into it. I got distracted by the two part mini game where you play a little board game with characters from the series, taking them through 3 years of high school and building their stats. Since it is a board game, there is some amount of randomness and luck to it. Then you take those graduates into a little dungeon crawler RPG where you fight monsters, earn money, and collect/craft items to strengthen your characters. Finally you take the money you've earned and put it into a card machine where you basically crack packs to get new character cards or cards with better growth potential. It is very addicting and I spent a lot more time on it than I had anticipated.

• @logic__error That mini game you described sounds so fleshed out and fun. I honestly can't wait to dive into the series. Kinda glad 2018 is going to be a more "chill" year release wise, at least for me.

• @SabotageTheTruth Diving down the Danganronpa rabbit hole is an interesting experience! They always have some sort of bonus game but usually it is the social/dating game with a small resource management mini game inside of it. This one is definitely the most extensive mini game they've made!

• I liked Sonic Mania a lot. Had no problems with controls except with the "drop dash" that was a new thing they added. I appreciate what they did for it and bonus game was pretty fun. Like fire shield burning oil, lightning shield being magnetic and so on. Only one stage got me really confused and it was a bit longer than needed to be. Also they could have easily just skipped the older stages though I liked 2nd part of Chemical Plant Zone.
    I'm not an expert with Sonic since I only beat the first 3 before Mania and I do love 2D platformers in general. Of course the need for speed is important because that is what makes it stand out from others but it's not only that. Levels, the route you choose and to have that option is why it's replayable especially when you have a timer to prevent you from exploring everything on the run. Sure the fans of the series gets the most out of it but I do think it was a solid game all around.

• What Remains of Edith Finch

#17. What Remains of Edith Finch - 15 points

Votes

#1: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #2: 1 (logic__error)
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (Nillend, Exist 2 Inspire)
    HM: 2 (Inustar, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: April 25 [US/EU]
    Developer: Giant Sparrow
    Publisher: Annapurna Interactive
    Genre: Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Danganronpa V3 is a 10, What remains of Edith Finch is a 10 as well. Literally swimming in 10s! :D

I agree with @logic__error that Danganronpa was a bit hard to rank, in the end it kicked off Persona 5 from second place. It might even be my favorite Danganronpa game when all is said and done. Amazing characters and such a great ending. I loved every bit of it and so it got my #2 vote.

Edith Finch is a truly amazing game, very creative and atmospheric. Loved all the different stories and how they played out. Great stuff! I definitely hope we get a lot more of these types of games in the future.