The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• I'm not against playing it one day. Do I need to play the first game for this one? How difficult the combat is on the easiest difficulty (I heard this game is hard)?

• @ffff0 I don't think you need to play the first one (I haven't, and it's been fine for me). Even on the easiest difficulty, it can be quite challenging at times. It's more based on stats and tactics than skill, so reading a guide before beginning would be a good idea.

• I don't game on PC, so I did not play Divinity. However, I get the sense because it was PC exclusive held it back. I'm sure if it was multiplatform, it would have gotten even more love than it did, which is saying something because I have not heard or read a single piece of negativity or mediocrity about this game. As a result, I'm surprised it didn't crack the top ten. But then again, after the communal top 100, nothing should surprise me about these lists anymore.

• I have only played the demo of Prey, as a fan of the original game I didn't enjoy it at all, to me it just didn't felt good, the enemies were annoying and that foam gun felt like the most useless weapon I've ever used in a game ever. Nah that's not for me.

Lol, almost Top 10 and not a single game I voted for nor, except Prey demo, have I personally played, and only 1 game I own. Not sure if good or bad sign.

• Divinity II is a fantastic game, and did make my top 10 for last year, only it got chopped off when I had to cut it to only 8. I highly recommend it, and the original, to any and all RPG fans.

• i just got the original on ps4 for cheap so ill dig into it eventually

• I actually only played the demo for Divinity II (twice), but I followed Larian's dev diaries am super excited to dig into DII. I bought D1 on the PS4 when it came out and that was a great game, so that's why it's an honorable mention for me and not higher.

• @Nillend I probably would've rated it higher but admittedly I haven't finished it yet. But the intro alone is better than most RPGs that are 50 hours in.

So, yeah. Good stuff. Pillars of eternity 2 is soon too, can't wait!

• @ZyloWolfBane that's another one I don't want to think of, I kickstarted the first and I'm not even 5 hours into yet, too many games ...

• Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

#12. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 22 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Brannox)
    #3: 2 (Alex840, bam541)
    #4: 2 (Sentinel Beach, Whiskeyjack)
    HM: 8 (Hidz, FerrisK96, Exist 2 Inspire, Axel, Tragosaurus, Tearju Engi, Faaip, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: August 22 [US], August 23 [EU]
    Developer: Naughty Dog
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• not bad for what started as dlc

• Yeahhh babyy, absolutely loved this game! I like that it's feels so much like Uncharted 1, in terms of pacing and the fact that it's pretty much takes place in a smaller area compared to other Uncharted's globetrotting adventures. The entertaining interactions between Nadine and Chloe makes it stand out too. Other than that, it's the Uncharted formula that i knew and loved, but improved a bit in some ways. The big, open level early in the game is a fantastic progression from Uncharted 4's Madagascar level, with more things to do and collect. That very last set piece is great too, almost Uncharted 4 caliber for me in terms of quality, and that's a lot for a tight standalone game like this. Easily my second favorite Uncharted game.

• I really want to play Divinity but I have so many lengthy games on my backlog already!

Lost Legacy was another game I watched but didn't play through myself. I really enjoyed the dynamic between Nadine and Chloe.

• I gave an honorable mention to Divinity II not because I've played it, because I don't have a computer, but because I adored the first game on PS4 and everything I have seen of this has been amazing, and I look forward to it coming to consoles. I just wanted to give a point to an amazing game. Also I loved watching the dev diaries for this.

• It's not in my Top 8, but I definitely enjoyed playing it.

• Global Moderator

This list helps me realise more and more of how many great games of 2017 I yet have to play!

• While I'm not surprised that I was the one who had Uncharted highest, I am taken aback by how high it is. When we got out of the 20s, I was sure it wasn't going to show, and I'm pleasantly surprised at its spot.

For the game itself, I'll touch on only the major points

The wide open area was detailed and nice to look at, but it felt.... empty? I guess? The initial sense of exploration is at its best in the entire series, but outside of the three main areas you have to go to progress, it was like needing to get from one place to another. However, what made that more than tolerable is the back and forth between Chloe and Nadine.

Their dynamic was really great to see evolve as the story progressed. Going in with the mindset of, "Okay, how is this going to work and how/why did these two come together?" I enjoyed how not only their relationship grew from being strictly business to slowly learning about each other and ending up being a friendship. This is also helped by the beginning of chapter 6 where

Sam is introduced

From that point, I felt the story went from average to great, proving Nathan Drake is unnecessary for a great Uncharted. I like how the dialogue is dynamic, changing with what order you decide to tackle objectives in the first half of the game.

Personally, I feel like the main antagonist, Asav is my second favorite villain of the series behind Marlowe. Granted, how he is at the end puts a damper on his character from the way he was throughout the rest of the game, but overall I found him to be effective and enjoyable to despise.

There are two criticisms that stick with me about the game though: There really isn't new major changes to the gameplay format. Sure, it's more Uncharted, and that's great, but this clearly shows a direct mechanic transition from Uncharted 4. Yes, there's lockpicking, but there isn't enough and it's too simple to make it a selling point. Also, the game was made in what, a year? That's impressive, but understandable in the "no new mechanics" department.

My other gripe is the puzzles. Many of them annoying instead of challenging, with knowing the solution ahead of time and having to waste time getting to the answer. There is one puzzle, primarily dealing with shadows, that actually is pretty good, but outside of that, other Uncharteds do puzzles better.

I want to shoutout @Alex840, @bam541, @Sentinel-Beach, @Whiskeyjack, @Hidz, @FerrisK96, @Exist-2-Inspire, @Axel, @Tragosaurus, @Tearju-Engi, @Faaip, and @tokeeffe9 for liking Lost Legacy enough to give it a nod, if not place, on your lists!

• I voted for Divinity II having only played 30 hours and barely scratching the surface. I've never played a game so thorough. It's flawed in some regards, but the level of detail and polish on this game is incredible.

@bam541 This is my first ever old-school RPG. It is obtuse at time (i.e. the menu's and quest log) but you'll wrap your head around it.

• Cool, The Lost Legacy placed this high. Uncharted worked this way as well, squeezed into a tighter package, shorter. The characters are once again extremely well-written and the performances are just so enjoyable to follow. The milieus and the details in everything are solid ND quality, and the set pieces put a smile on my face. Entertainment values are peaking. :)

• @Axel Will you post a full list of games #26-#83 after we reached #1?