The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• I gave an honorable mention to Divinity II not because I've played it, because I don't have a computer, but because I adored the first game on PS4 and everything I have seen of this has been amazing, and I look forward to it coming to consoles. I just wanted to give a point to an amazing game. Also I loved watching the dev diaries for this.

• It's not in my Top 8, but I definitely enjoyed playing it.

• Global Moderator

This list helps me realise more and more of how many great games of 2017 I yet have to play!

• While I'm not surprised that I was the one who had Uncharted highest, I am taken aback by how high it is. When we got out of the 20s, I was sure it wasn't going to show, and I'm pleasantly surprised at its spot.

For the game itself, I'll touch on only the major points

The wide open area was detailed and nice to look at, but it felt.... empty? I guess? The initial sense of exploration is at its best in the entire series, but outside of the three main areas you have to go to progress, it was like needing to get from one place to another. However, what made that more than tolerable is the back and forth between Chloe and Nadine.

Their dynamic was really great to see evolve as the story progressed. Going in with the mindset of, "Okay, how is this going to work and how/why did these two come together?" I enjoyed how not only their relationship grew from being strictly business to slowly learning about each other and ending up being a friendship. This is also helped by the beginning of chapter 6 where

Sam is introduced

From that point, I felt the story went from average to great, proving Nathan Drake is unnecessary for a great Uncharted. I like how the dialogue is dynamic, changing with what order you decide to tackle objectives in the first half of the game.

Personally, I feel like the main antagonist, Asav is my second favorite villain of the series behind Marlowe. Granted, how he is at the end puts a damper on his character from the way he was throughout the rest of the game, but overall I found him to be effective and enjoyable to despise.

There are two criticisms that stick with me about the game though: There really isn't new major changes to the gameplay format. Sure, it's more Uncharted, and that's great, but this clearly shows a direct mechanic transition from Uncharted 4. Yes, there's lockpicking, but there isn't enough and it's too simple to make it a selling point. Also, the game was made in what, a year? That's impressive, but understandable in the "no new mechanics" department.

My other gripe is the puzzles. Many of them annoying instead of challenging, with knowing the solution ahead of time and having to waste time getting to the answer. There is one puzzle, primarily dealing with shadows, that actually is pretty good, but outside of that, other Uncharteds do puzzles better.

I want to shoutout @Alex840, @bam541, @Sentinel-Beach, @Whiskeyjack, @Hidz, @FerrisK96, @Exist-2-Inspire, @Axel, @Tragosaurus, @Tearju-Engi, @Faaip, and @tokeeffe9 for liking Lost Legacy enough to give it a nod, if not place, on your lists!

• I voted for Divinity II having only played 30 hours and barely scratching the surface. I've never played a game so thorough. It's flawed in some regards, but the level of detail and polish on this game is incredible.

@bam541 This is my first ever old-school RPG. It is obtuse at time (i.e. the menu's and quest log) but you'll wrap your head around it.

• Cool, The Lost Legacy placed this high. Uncharted worked this way as well, squeezed into a tighter package, shorter. The characters are once again extremely well-written and the performances are just so enjoyable to follow. The milieus and the details in everything are solid ND quality, and the set pieces put a smile on my face. Entertainment values are peaking. :)

• @Axel Will you post a full list of games #26-#83 after we reached #1?

• wow not a single game ive voted for yet

• As someone mentioned above, it was nice to see Uncharted return to the smaller scale/one location adventure.. similar to the first game. I was torn ranking this one because while I think it stands with any of the previous games in terms of quality (and length really) it still is kind of a 'DLC'.. I just felt the other games I ranked deserved it a bit more.

I'm not sure what more I can say about Divinity 2.. This is my first of this type of rpg and its incredibly daunting at first, but the amount of choice it gives you actually makes it easier I think. You can really approach a situation in any way you want and have a good chance of success.. there isn't really a 'right' way to play which I think works more in favor of first timers.. Thought that being said, you can still really screw up your game haha. This is one I'm slowly working away at (and probably will be for awhile) but it easily earned a spot on my list.

• Nioh

#11. Nioh - 22 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    #2: 1 (ZyloWolfBane)
    #3: 2 (Jipostus, Faaip)
    #4: 2 (Billy, Minamik)
    HM: 3 (FF7Cloud, marv257, DisturbedSwan)

Information

Release date: February 7 [US], February 8 [EU]
    Developer: Team Ninja
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment, Koei Tecmo
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• The one thing about Nioh I like is its setting. Because "Souls like" is the go-to comparison (plus other factors), I hard passed on it. Whenever I hear that comparison, I can't think of a bigger selling point misfiring for me. I intrigued by Ghost of Tsushima, so for my feudal Japan itch, I'll wait to hear more about that.

I believe much like Gravity Rush, the February release didn't help Nioh: Many were praising an entry we should see soon, other massive games were about to come, and there's been five "Souls/Borne" games, so gameplay fatigue could have been a thing for non-hardcore fans. I'm sure there were plenty of new gameplay changes and tweaks, plus other intangible, unique aspects that make Nioh something all its own. I just can't differentiate one from the other outside of setting.

Also, we now await the top 10 and I already have seven IMMEDIATELY jump to mind.

• @Brannox said it all regarding Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, I'll just add that I also loved the open-ended level, and actually didn't find it that empty, there were enough smaller points of interest dotted throughout if you tried to get the optional magical trinket.

I loved the characters, especially Chloe, who's a better Lara Croft than Lara Croft has ever been. I wouldn't mind a whole new trilogy centered on her!

And Sam grew on me more here than he did in Uncharted 4.

Also focusing on one location/culture made everything more focused and helped me stay involved in the overall story rather than merely tagging along as I felt I sometimes did in previous games.

Maybe it's not the best Uncharted ever, but it might have been the most enjoyable for me. The only reason I only gave it an honorable mention is that the games in my top 4 all did something unique/perfected or revolutionized a genre, whereas Uncharted was merely excellent, and in 2017 it just doesn't cut it.

Congrats Naughty Dog!

• @marv257 Maybe not all but some highlights!

• Well, I am interested in this game, I enjoyed the beta and naturally love the setting, but I skipped on it because of their DLC plans. Now I'm pretty pissed that they refuse to release a physical Complete Edition in the west, I know that the JP release has english subs, but it's censored so that's not an option. I guess I will buy a used copy eventually or when I see it for a low price in a sale.

• For me, Nioh is a superior beast combat-wise over the From Software games. The stances; how different and satisfying the weapons feel (katana hype!); and the dark and menacing feudal Japan setting and enemies make the combat much more enjoyable than any Souls-esque game at the market for me (Bloodborne is very, very close though). The closed-down level system is a huge flaw for me, i prefer the pseudo open world of the Dark Souls games way more. It's the only reason i don't play this game much anymore, other than the fact that i'm getting tired of Souls-esque games in general.

• @Axel I grabbed that optional trinket and it was alright, but the coolest thing about it was showing up in cutscenes. Tiny details like that get me every time.

• Nioh.. another game I haven't finished haha. I'm about 35 hours in right now and really enjoying it. The gameplay feels perfect and the combat is really fun and dynamic. There are a lot of ways you can tackle a fight and several types of weapons and skills to master. The enemies and levels look great as well.

My only grips are that I don't really care about the story, and that to me the bosses feel a little spongey.. hits seem to do very little damage and because these bosses are tough you need to really master them to last long enough to take them down. Maybe thats just me though.. I don't claim to be good at these games. Those are just minor issues though.. I'm glad to see it ranked this high

• Surprised Nioh made it this high up. I'm a massive Souls fan and I liked the game for a few hours before I HARD QUIT. I just got tired of the constant stream of loot, the repetitive enemies, and the boxy levels.

I'll play Nioh II but this one was a bit too rough around the edges for me. Quite literally actually. I bought it months after release and more than one boss glitched out on me and just stopped attacking and took hits. Kinda broke the game unless I killed myself.

• i hope nioh 2does not have diablo style loot besides that its a game where gameplay is king as the story is complete trash tier

• I would have Nioh higher but the game got repetitive.