The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• i only had a few hours into it at the time and im still not finished however i dont think it would be more then a hm

• Oh man, I haven't said much in a while.

Hellblade is an incredible experience in my book. I feel like it can just be so powerful with the subject matter they tackled and how they did it, along with just the actual scale of the project too. Ninja Theory gambled a lot on this model and it paid off massively. On the game itself, I was just always invested in it. It made me feel very uncomfortable but it also had moments of real power. Sound design and the lead performance are incredible. I did notice some people saying they found it very repetitive but I felt like they split up the game nicely and it was never long enough to be repetitive to me.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy - It's kinda crazy that Uncharted 4 was easily my favourite game of 2016 (from what I'd played) and then the Lost Legacy only got a nomination even though one could argue it is a more refined version. Just shows the quality of the year I guess. It's easily in my top 3 Uncharted games. I think it has some incredible highs gameplay wise. The open area is so much fun and one of the last chapters is an incredible culmination of several set pieces that Naughty Dog have worked on in the past, possibly the pinnacle in my book. It's a bit unfair to compare with 4 but I loved that game more mostly because of the relationships with the characters, better story and much better villains. This game in particular had possibly the worst villain in the series. Just very pointless. But that's it really, I'd a blast playing the game.

Nioh - One of the games I put about 10 hours into to see if it'd make my list late on. Since then I've completed the main game and I have to say I'd a great time with this game but I don't think it would make my top 8 after. My biggest problem was really with the loot system and economy in the game. You just get too much stuff and there is never any reason to use the blacksmith because you can just find better stuff. Also some of the animations were a bit weird, on a few occasions the animation of an enemy would just reset into something completely different and that'd catch you off guard so it felt really unfair. Once you get a good handle on the combat and the spirit, it does feel like you can blast through the game fairly easily, especially on bosses. But I did have a really good time with the game and would recommend it.

Cuphead Another one for the late chance to make my list. Fortunately I just tackled this one day and completed it. Honestly, if I gave myself more time to think about it, it might have got in there. I think this game is so good. The animation and visuals for every fight are amazing. Getting to the next phase is an absolute treat. I never found myself insanely frustrated (all streamed so might have to check the tape on that! :) ) mostly because of how great it looked, how incredible the soundtrack was for each fight and how quickly you can just jump back in. Ya this one was certainly close.

Also I do just want to mention one other game that I played 2-3 hours of before nominations and really liked but felt it wasn't enough. Hollow Knight, I've since beaten it and it probably would have knocked something off my list because that game is incredible. I'd be surprised if it makes it at this stage so I'll probably mention it again when all is said and done.

• I'm super happy to see my GotY in the top 10, tbh when I voted I wasn't done yet and a bit afraid my opinion could change later on like it did with Xenoblade X, but nope, love this game and can't wait for the NG+ update to go back in.

• the combat system is so much better then the previous games however while the story is really good im 65 hours in the characters just arent as good as Shulk and crew and besides Jin the villians are not interesting at all

• Seeing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at nine, I'm both surprised and not. Surprised because I haven't heard much about it, and from what I have, it's been... indifferent. However, I'm not surprised it's in the top ten because this game just has the EZA community feel. Also, I just want to point out, as great of a year overall gaming had in 2017, I feel comfortable in saying this past year is owned and defined by the Nintendo Switch. So many high quality titles.

• @Brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!:

past year is owned and defined by the Nintendo Switch.

Well, that depends on your tastes, For me it's PS4 (Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Farpoint, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy) and PC (What Remains of Edith Finch, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Pyre, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Batman: The Enemy Within). I don't have case for Xbox, but someone else could make one easily. So if something is defining this year, it's simply "a lot of great games".

• Xenoblade 2 is a hot mess of a game (as I explained in the Xenoblade 2 thread) but I do love it.

• Global Moderator

If I had a Switch, Xenoblade 2 are the game I would run out and buy ASAP. It looks like it would be right up my alley.

• I've only put around 10 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (chapter 3). I stopped playing and am having a hard time motivating myself to dive back into it.

I'm enjoying the story and the world, but just like with X, I feel like the game systems are way too complicated for their own good. There are SO many different things to keep track of and customize, I'm sure they could have cut half of those and the game would be just as interesting, if not more. And just like I did with X, I'm sure I'll get back into it eventually, it'll probably take me over a year overall to finish it, but I will!

I couldn't in good conscience give it a vote however, when I enjoyed all the other games one my list much more instantly.

• @Axel that sounds very similar to my experience with the original Xenoblade, with the main detractor for me being that I found the combat to be insufferably boring, I was still interested in it but I couldn't force myself through it.

From what I see from 2 I see the same and many other ways in which I think I'll hate the game, but I have to confess that I'm still somewhat interested in it as the description of the game and its apparent strengths are appealing to me but how everything seems to be executed just screams bad at me.

I'm consider just looking for a used cheap copy at some point, for now, the popularity of these games remain a mystery to me.

• @bard91 The combat in Xenobade 2 makes Xenoblade's combat feel like Devil May Cry in comparison.

• @FutureCorpse I'd have to think that means it is much worse, though I'm not sure if that's what you meant

• @bard91 Its a lot slower you can't move when you attack it's pretty convoluted also but all in all much more engaging. I quite like the combat btw but if you didn't like the first game you'll be pulling your hair out over this one. That said such a beautiful world to take in, that's until a level 80 monster one shots you every few minutes.

• @ffff0 Oh, please don't misconstrue: I don't like Nintendo nor have any interest in their properties. For my tastes, all you have to do is see what I voted for. But you cannot deny the overwhelming amount of conversation and mindshare the Switch, Zelda, Mario, and other games on the platform have dominated the conversation.

I don't see this as a bad thing, as a strong Nintendo is great for gaming. My point only is Nintendo grabbed attention with its commercial in late 2016, its unveiling 12 months ago, and since its release back at the beginning of March, has dominated headlines and the zeitgeist. For example, I think I heard either yesterday or the day before the Switch has just surpassed 10 million units sold in 10 months on the market. The Wii U couldn't cobble that together in its lifetime.

You've listed a lot of great games, and for many 2017 will be remembered for that. Others will remember how microtransactions became the bane of good gaming. For me, and I suspect quite a few people as well, 2017 will be remembered as the year Switch came out and took over.

• @Brannox Sorry for not quite getting what you've meant. I also personally don't feel Nintendo's impact, because I live in a country where basically no one cares about Nintendo. It was never sold out here, and most of the people I'm talking to don't even know what Switch is. One of them even thought that you could play Zelda on PS4 since it's a console exclusive.

• @ffff0 It's all good! I like being able to clarify when there's confusion. Also, it's super interesting about no Switch where you are. It's so prevalent here in the states, so your experience is really fascinating! And I could only imagine what would happen if Zelda came out on Playstation.

Thanks for sharing! I really enjoy learning about facts like that!

• Resident Evil VII: Biohazard

#8. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard - 29 points

Votes

#1: 1 (ib0show)
    #2: 2 (naltmank, MiserablePerson)
    #3: 3 (Axel, Sheria, Lux Noctis)
    #4: 0
    HM: 7 (Brannox, sunpraiser, DOOM, A7X458, Minamik, Fridge-man, Jipostus)

Information

Release date: January 24 [US/EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Survival horror
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I'm disappointed in this community.

• I like the game, I'm even currently replaying it as I bought the Gold Edition recently, it was just not good enough to make it on my list, showing once again how strong 2917 was.

• If we submitted 10 games of 2017, Resident Evil 7 would have made the list for me, albeit somewhere down at the bottom. Played through the entire thing in VR and certain moments are still quite vivid in my memory, but I do feel the back half of the game isn't nearly as strong as what preceded it. Still, it's awesome to see Resident Evil head back in the right direction.

Cuphead showing up in the top 10 is just pure joy though. Easily one of the most impressive efforts I've seen from a smaller developer lately, you can just feel the love and creativity oozing out of every pore of the game. I find it so weird the difficulty of the game is constantly brought up because... while there are certain segments that need to be repeated, it just never feels unfair or insurmountable. Nearly every "failure" teaches you something and makes you better. The animation is obviously the highlight here but the music is ridiculously good as well. I honestly feel like games such as Cuphead are immensely helpful to the industry and show what the medium is capable of. I'm a sucker for a good story in a game (as evidenced by the games I placed in the number 1, 2, and 4 spot of my list) but with the beautiful wedding of animation, music, and control here, it's hard not to praise it to oblivion. It's a game I believe honestly everyone can enjoy and I won't stop recommending it for years to come.