The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• @Axel Who knows! Maybe no one voted for these 5 games and GotY will be decided between 1-2-Switch and Need for Speed Payback.

• @ffff0 Don't forget Knack 2!

• @ffff0 Nahh, Star Wars Battlefront 2's gonna be number one babyyy

• @Axel

5.) Horizon
    4.) Nier
    3.) Mario
    2.) Persona
    1.) Zelda

If not that, then I can see Horizon slotting into third and Nier and Mario move down one.

• Adding to the fact that I'm in love with Yakuza 0 and it was my GOTY, I am skeptical that Yakuza 6 can top it. Clearly the gameplay improvements excite the hell out of me, but the mystery surrounding the baby sounds awfully similar to the mystery surrounding Makoto.

Either way, I have it pre-ordered for that free art book! CANNOT WAIT!

• I should have realized how many games would make it to the top 10 that I played. The answer is most likely going to be: 1 of them.

• Kiwami > 0

• @ib0show Could not disagree more. Quality of life improvements brought over from Zero are nice, but Majima Everywhere is intrusive and grindy.

• Yakuza 0 is absolutely worth the ride. I figured I was going to have a fun brawler with some interesting mini games... and while that is true, the main narrative of this game is leagues above nearly every other game released this year. Emotional, impactful, a little silly when it needs to be, I have close to zero complaints about this game. First game I ever played in the franchise and it made me a fan of the series immediately.

• NieR:Automata

#5. NieR:Automata - 61 points

Votes

#1: 2 (DMCMaster, marv257)
    #2: 6 (bard91, Hidz, Musou Tensei, Lotias, Jipostus, Swordfish00830)
    #3: 3 (FutureCorpse, Nillend, DIPSET)
    #4: 4 (FF7Cloud, A7X458, Bigdude1, Axel)
    HM: 10 (DeweyDTruman, SabotageTheTruth, FerrisK96, Helge, michemagius, Exist 2 Inspire, Fridge-man, Sheria, Tearju Engi, sonmi)

Information

Release date: March 7 [US], March 10 [EU]
    Developer: PlatinumGames
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• There were a few things about Automata I didn't like, but its main shortcoming to me was that it didn't blew me away the way Nier or even Drakengard 3 did, a better game in many ways for sure, just not in my own personal scale.

Still great and finally a sucess for Yoko Taro AND Platinum, that is something very much worth celebrating.

• Nier Automata. I could write a novel about how much I love this game.

It was my #3 GOTY but in all seriousness, it could have been #2 or even close to #1 depending on my mood. PLAY THIS GAME!

• Same thing I said for Yakuza 0 basically. Absolutely loved what I did play of it but I never finished it (I mean, I got ending A, but c'mon that's not finishing it) and I'm like 95% sure this would have been in my top 3 if I had.

• Well it looks like my secondary prediction may be true!

But as for Nier, there are some things about it that appeal, primarily soundtrack and aesthetic design, but with certain concepts, I just didn't really see the personal push needed for me to try it. A couple of my turnoffs are having multiple endings and, while a neat idea, the switch up of play styles made this confusing as to how this game plays.

But a big shout out at pulling in the highest number of Honorable Mentions and second place votes so far! And 25 total votes makes Nier: Automata the current leader in most people voted for (though I think all three of those will be surpassed pretty soon...)!

• Nier is such a strange game for me. I absolutely loved the first half and felt rather underwhelmed by the second half - you know, the parts everyone says are amazing. I originally had it placed as number 4 but as I grew some distance with the game, I felt myself caring a little less. Things like the difficulty (normal is far too simple while hard is absolutely punishing), side quests with not much purpose, and the hacking mini game overstaying its welcome are definitely detractors, but the score, general theme, and the characters of 2B and 9S are especially well done. I'm interested to see the next game in the series and see what new ideas it can bring to the table.

• Another game that surprised me, Both the story and characters are really good. The soundtrack is topnotch, I'm still listening to it daily.

However, it has minor flaws such as

the second playthrough felt like a chore and 9S hacking mechanic got tedious in the long run.

Other than that, it earned second place on my list and it's definitely one of the greats!

• Haven't played this game yet, kinda excited though. At first i wasn't really interested in this game. I mean, the combat looks cool, as you would expect from Platinum Games. I'm just not interested in the premise in the story; and how the characters, the world and the enemies look. I got over that feeling only recently for some reason, i guess i needed a break after finishing 3 FPS games back to back. Already bought it, now just need to take care some non-gaming business.

• This game never was on my radar until I've played the demo. I liked its music, art design and constant gameplay changes so much that I've decided to play the full game. I've bought it, finished it (A-E) and there was next to nothing to remember. The story didn’t grab me at all, music quickly lost its charm, gameplay changes were tiresome and it turns out I've already saw almost all of them in the demo. Also the world looks dull and uninviting. I understand that it could be an artistic choice, but it doesn’t make it more interesting to explore. And there is no good difficulty for me: I’ve managed to beat A on normal, but had to switch to Easy in the middle of B, which isn’t particularly fun. It’s not the worst game I’ve played in 2017 (I’ve played first Knack!), but it’s definitely the most disappointing. Characters still looks cool though.

• Gotta finish Nier first. I know they're barely related, but it's the spirit of the thing.

• Nier Automata is one the reasons I love videogames its so unique that I've never experienced anything quite like it. Yes it has flaws but I'll take them over a well made cookie cutter open world game or fps any day.