The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• Nier Automata. I could write a novel about how much I love this game.

It was my #3 GOTY but in all seriousness, it could have been #2 or even close to #1 depending on my mood. PLAY THIS GAME!

• Same thing I said for Yakuza 0 basically. Absolutely loved what I did play of it but I never finished it (I mean, I got ending A, but c'mon that's not finishing it) and I'm like 95% sure this would have been in my top 3 if I had.

• Well it looks like my secondary prediction may be true!

But as for Nier, there are some things about it that appeal, primarily soundtrack and aesthetic design, but with certain concepts, I just didn't really see the personal push needed for me to try it. A couple of my turnoffs are having multiple endings and, while a neat idea, the switch up of play styles made this confusing as to how this game plays.

But a big shout out at pulling in the highest number of Honorable Mentions and second place votes so far! And 25 total votes makes Nier: Automata the current leader in most people voted for (though I think all three of those will be surpassed pretty soon...)!

• Nier is such a strange game for me. I absolutely loved the first half and felt rather underwhelmed by the second half - you know, the parts everyone says are amazing. I originally had it placed as number 4 but as I grew some distance with the game, I felt myself caring a little less. Things like the difficulty (normal is far too simple while hard is absolutely punishing), side quests with not much purpose, and the hacking mini game overstaying its welcome are definitely detractors, but the score, general theme, and the characters of 2B and 9S are especially well done. I'm interested to see the next game in the series and see what new ideas it can bring to the table.

• Another game that surprised me, Both the story and characters are really good. The soundtrack is topnotch, I'm still listening to it daily.

However, it has minor flaws such as

the second playthrough felt like a chore and 9S hacking mechanic got tedious in the long run.

Other than that, it earned second place on my list and it's definitely one of the greats!

• Haven't played this game yet, kinda excited though. At first i wasn't really interested in this game. I mean, the combat looks cool, as you would expect from Platinum Games. I'm just not interested in the premise in the story; and how the characters, the world and the enemies look. I got over that feeling only recently for some reason, i guess i needed a break after finishing 3 FPS games back to back. Already bought it, now just need to take care some non-gaming business.

• This game never was on my radar until I've played the demo. I liked its music, art design and constant gameplay changes so much that I've decided to play the full game. I've bought it, finished it (A-E) and there was next to nothing to remember. The story didn’t grab me at all, music quickly lost its charm, gameplay changes were tiresome and it turns out I've already saw almost all of them in the demo. Also the world looks dull and uninviting. I understand that it could be an artistic choice, but it doesn’t make it more interesting to explore. And there is no good difficulty for me: I’ve managed to beat A on normal, but had to switch to Easy in the middle of B, which isn’t particularly fun. It’s not the worst game I’ve played in 2017 (I’ve played first Knack!), but it’s definitely the most disappointing. Characters still looks cool though.

• Gotta finish Nier first. I know they're barely related, but it's the spirit of the thing.

• Nier Automata is one the reasons I love videogames its so unique that I've never experienced anything quite like it. Yes it has flaws but I'll take them over a well made cookie cutter open world game or fps any day.

• If anyone has been looking at the Completed Games of 2018, they'll see that I've spent the last month or so playing Nier: Automata, getting the Platinum just a couple of days ago!

Image of the Platinum Trophy Popping

If I could change my list, Nier: Automata would be at the very top. It's one of the best games I've ever played. Absolutely blew me away with its presentation, the game direction, the MUSIC! It has what is probably one of my favourite game sequences ever:

Become As Gods

A lot of people have classics, games from 10 or 20 years ago that they loved and still loved, be it Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy.

In 20 years time, I'm going to be remembering the first time I played Nier: Automata.

• NOOOOOOOO I was hoping it would be #1 or at least #2, like it was for me.

• From the games that I voted for this one will probably be the highest. It was my number 3 because while it is an absolutely amazing game, it is also very inconsistent: it has very high highs, but also very low lows. From my top 4, this one has the least chance for me to replay it, but I cannot deny how impressive it can be.

• Global Moderator

If I did this list now, Nier would of been on my top spot. At the Time I was only about 2/3 through Route A and even though I loved it I didnt feel like it would be correct to put it on top. Now however when I have finished A-E I really love this game! Sure route B got a little long towards the end and I kinda rushed to finish it, but the rest was glorious. For me this is a game that will stay with me for quite some time.

• Just goes to show how crazy 2017 was, that I loved Nier Automata, but it didn't even end up making my top 10, lol.

• I haven't even started it yet. I think it may be a game I pick up if there's a big lull in stuff I want to buy this year. That and Edith Finch are pretty high up on my list.

• Super Mario Odyssey

#4. Super Mario Odyssey - 72 points

Votes

#1: 5 (FF7Cloud, Billy, Hazz3r, Jipostus, sonmi)
    #2: 4 (Bigdude1, Axel, Tragosaurus, Alex840)
    #3: 4 (sunpraiser, FerrisK96, michemagius, Whiskeyjack)
    #4: 6 (DOOM, Yoshi, Musou Tensei, Fridge-man, Lux Noctis, Swordfish00830)
    HM: 7 (A7X458, Capnbobamous, DisturbedSwan, Sheria, logic__error, MiserablePerson, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: October 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Nintendo EPD
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I hadn't started Odyssey by the time I sent in my list so I didn't include it, having played it now it turns out that was the right call, with great sadness I have to say this is by far the least fun I've ever had with a Mario game and one of my biggest disappointments in gaming in general.

• odyssey was my game of the year and while its not a 10/10 like most people say it is its still a very good game i do think that a set up similar to Mario 64 with 5-15 moons per world would have made it better though. overall it was a better Mario game then botw was a Zelda game

• I've already been on record saying that Nintendo isn't my thing, but I AM surprised Odyssey placed fourth. At the LEAST I thought it would be third and my above secondary prediction putting Horizon third was based off of the Patreon poll from awhile back.

The remaining order WILL BE:

Horizon, then Persona, followed by Zelda.

Otherwise, I'll be STUNNED.

• I love Mario Odyssey but it just barely missed my top 5. It'd easily be in a top 10 list if I had made one of those. Nowhere near my favorite Mario game (but then again, I'm the nutcase that thinks 2/USA is the best 2D Mario and 3D World is the best 3D one, so take that for what it's worth) but still a great time.