The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• This game never was on my radar until I've played the demo. I liked its music, art design and constant gameplay changes so much that I've decided to play the full game. I've bought it, finished it (A-E) and there was next to nothing to remember. The story didn’t grab me at all, music quickly lost its charm, gameplay changes were tiresome and it turns out I've already saw almost all of them in the demo. Also the world looks dull and uninviting. I understand that it could be an artistic choice, but it doesn’t make it more interesting to explore. And there is no good difficulty for me: I’ve managed to beat A on normal, but had to switch to Easy in the middle of B, which isn’t particularly fun. It’s not the worst game I’ve played in 2017 (I’ve played first Knack!), but it’s definitely the most disappointing. Characters still looks cool though.

• Gotta finish Nier first. I know they're barely related, but it's the spirit of the thing.

• Nier Automata is one the reasons I love videogames its so unique that I've never experienced anything quite like it. Yes it has flaws but I'll take them over a well made cookie cutter open world game or fps any day.

• If anyone has been looking at the Completed Games of 2018, they'll see that I've spent the last month or so playing Nier: Automata, getting the Platinum just a couple of days ago!

Image of the Platinum Trophy Popping

If I could change my list, Nier: Automata would be at the very top. It's one of the best games I've ever played. Absolutely blew me away with its presentation, the game direction, the MUSIC! It has what is probably one of my favourite game sequences ever:

Become As Gods

A lot of people have classics, games from 10 or 20 years ago that they loved and still loved, be it Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy.

In 20 years time, I'm going to be remembering the first time I played Nier: Automata.

• NOOOOOOOO I was hoping it would be #1 or at least #2, like it was for me.

• From the games that I voted for this one will probably be the highest. It was my number 3 because while it is an absolutely amazing game, it is also very inconsistent: it has very high highs, but also very low lows. From my top 4, this one has the least chance for me to replay it, but I cannot deny how impressive it can be.

• Global Moderator

If I did this list now, Nier would of been on my top spot. At the Time I was only about 2/3 through Route A and even though I loved it I didnt feel like it would be correct to put it on top. Now however when I have finished A-E I really love this game! Sure route B got a little long towards the end and I kinda rushed to finish it, but the rest was glorious. For me this is a game that will stay with me for quite some time.

• Just goes to show how crazy 2017 was, that I loved Nier Automata, but it didn't even end up making my top 10, lol.

• I haven't even started it yet. I think it may be a game I pick up if there's a big lull in stuff I want to buy this year. That and Edith Finch are pretty high up on my list.

• Super Mario Odyssey

#4. Super Mario Odyssey - 72 points

Votes

#1: 5 (FF7Cloud, Billy, Hazz3r, Jipostus, sonmi)
    #2: 4 (Bigdude1, Axel, Tragosaurus, Alex840)
    #3: 4 (sunpraiser, FerrisK96, michemagius, Whiskeyjack)
    #4: 6 (DOOM, Yoshi, Musou Tensei, Fridge-man, Lux Noctis, Swordfish00830)
    HM: 7 (A7X458, Capnbobamous, DisturbedSwan, Sheria, logic__error, MiserablePerson, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: October 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Nintendo EPD
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I hadn't started Odyssey by the time I sent in my list so I didn't include it, having played it now it turns out that was the right call, with great sadness I have to say this is by far the least fun I've ever had with a Mario game and one of my biggest disappointments in gaming in general.

• odyssey was my game of the year and while its not a 10/10 like most people say it is its still a very good game i do think that a set up similar to Mario 64 with 5-15 moons per world would have made it better though. overall it was a better Mario game then botw was a Zelda game

• I've already been on record saying that Nintendo isn't my thing, but I AM surprised Odyssey placed fourth. At the LEAST I thought it would be third and my above secondary prediction putting Horizon third was based off of the Patreon poll from awhile back.

The remaining order WILL BE:

Horizon, then Persona, followed by Zelda.

Otherwise, I'll be STUNNED.

• I love Mario Odyssey but it just barely missed my top 5. It'd easily be in a top 10 list if I had made one of those. Nowhere near my favorite Mario game (but then again, I'm the nutcase that thinks 2/USA is the best 2D Mario and 3D World is the best 3D one, so take that for what it's worth) but still a great time.

• So far Ive only played one game in the top 10.. Looks like I have some catching up to do

• I had a lot of fun with Odyssey and overall it was great but when I got to the end I really had no desire to go back and keep playing, which was a big factor in deciding what games placed where on my list. Maybe it was seeing someone else grind to get all 999 moons and knowing it wasn't for me, but after running around a bit post game I didn't really feel the urge to push forward. Doesn't mean I will never jump back in to search for more moons, but I'm certainly in no rush. Still, I enjoyed the game a lot but I'm definitely a person who values story most in my favorite games, so I think it's easy to see why Odyssey only got an honorable mention on my list.

• Does somebody have the link to the EZA Community Top 25 of 2016? Because I'm playing Inside for the first time and this is easily top 3 games. I'm blown away right now. I'm upset I didn't play it or vote for it last year. I think I put Xenoverse 2 on my list and I'm cringing at that looking back.

FYI, I didn't find it in search.

• @DIPSET its in the hall of fame

• @FF7Cloud

Thanks!

I'm looking back at the 2016 list. I don't think enough people played Inside. (4 people ranked it and it sits at #11). I would have booted The Last Guardian out of my top 3 for this game in hindsight.

I'll probably look at my 2017 list and say the same next year (but not really because I'm set in stone with this list).

• @DIPSET Inside was my GOTY last year! Such an impactful game.

I was playing backlog catch up in 2016, so I think I only played just enough games to scrape together a Top 5. Looking back I definitely would not knock Inside from the top spot, but I played a lot of 2016 games that would have easily changed my rankings overall if I were to do them today.

At least you got around to playing Inside and enjoyed it!