The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• I haven't even started it yet. I think it may be a game I pick up if there's a big lull in stuff I want to buy this year. That and Edith Finch are pretty high up on my list.

• Super Mario Odyssey

#4. Super Mario Odyssey - 72 points

Votes

#1: 5 (FF7Cloud, Billy, Hazz3r, Jipostus, sonmi)
    #2: 4 (Bigdude1, Axel, Tragosaurus, Alex840)
    #3: 4 (sunpraiser, FerrisK96, michemagius, Whiskeyjack)
    #4: 6 (DOOM, Yoshi, Musou Tensei, Fridge-man, Lux Noctis, Swordfish00830)
    HM: 7 (A7X458, Capnbobamous, DisturbedSwan, Sheria, logic__error, MiserablePerson, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: October 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Nintendo EPD
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I hadn't started Odyssey by the time I sent in my list so I didn't include it, having played it now it turns out that was the right call, with great sadness I have to say this is by far the least fun I've ever had with a Mario game and one of my biggest disappointments in gaming in general.

• odyssey was my game of the year and while its not a 10/10 like most people say it is its still a very good game i do think that a set up similar to Mario 64 with 5-15 moons per world would have made it better though. overall it was a better Mario game then botw was a Zelda game

• I've already been on record saying that Nintendo isn't my thing, but I AM surprised Odyssey placed fourth. At the LEAST I thought it would be third and my above secondary prediction putting Horizon third was based off of the Patreon poll from awhile back.

The remaining order WILL BE:

Horizon, then Persona, followed by Zelda.

Otherwise, I'll be STUNNED.

• I love Mario Odyssey but it just barely missed my top 5. It'd easily be in a top 10 list if I had made one of those. Nowhere near my favorite Mario game (but then again, I'm the nutcase that thinks 2/USA is the best 2D Mario and 3D World is the best 3D one, so take that for what it's worth) but still a great time.

• So far Ive only played one game in the top 10.. Looks like I have some catching up to do

• I had a lot of fun with Odyssey and overall it was great but when I got to the end I really had no desire to go back and keep playing, which was a big factor in deciding what games placed where on my list. Maybe it was seeing someone else grind to get all 999 moons and knowing it wasn't for me, but after running around a bit post game I didn't really feel the urge to push forward. Doesn't mean I will never jump back in to search for more moons, but I'm certainly in no rush. Still, I enjoyed the game a lot but I'm definitely a person who values story most in my favorite games, so I think it's easy to see why Odyssey only got an honorable mention on my list.

• Does somebody have the link to the EZA Community Top 25 of 2016? Because I'm playing Inside for the first time and this is easily top 3 games. I'm blown away right now. I'm upset I didn't play it or vote for it last year. I think I put Xenoverse 2 on my list and I'm cringing at that looking back.

FYI, I didn't find it in search.

• @DIPSET its in the hall of fame

• @FF7Cloud

Thanks!

I'm looking back at the 2016 list. I don't think enough people played Inside. (4 people ranked it and it sits at #11). I would have booted The Last Guardian out of my top 3 for this game in hindsight.

I'll probably look at my 2017 list and say the same next year (but not really because I'm set in stone with this list).

• @DIPSET Inside was my GOTY last year! Such an impactful game.

I was playing backlog catch up in 2016, so I think I only played just enough games to scrape together a Top 5. Looking back I definitely would not knock Inside from the top spot, but I played a lot of 2016 games that would have easily changed my rankings overall if I were to do them today.

At least you got around to playing Inside and enjoyed it!

• I'm sitting here, hoping for the Horizon upset win, but i will be satisfied with a place in the Top 3, something i did not expect to be quite honest!

• I'm guessing BotW is 3rd.

• Global Moderator

I dont have a switch yet. But its hard to resist buying one with all the games that came out 2017.

My guess is

3rd: Zelda
    2nd: Horizon
    1st: Persona 5

• My personal picks are:

1. Nier
    2. Zelda
    3. Mario

• I've played like 5 10/10 games this year, for me Mario was the 3rd best 10/10.

• I loved both Mario and Neir, such fantastic games, though not my favourites in either franchise. It brings be back to 2010 where I remember compiling my top ten and having the original Neir beat out only just for first place by Kingdom Hearts: BBS. It really came out of nowhere for me, but it was its general reception and sales that caused such shock for me when they announced that they would be doing a sequel.

I personally think Brannox has it right, that it will be Horizon, followed by Persona and then Zelda at number 1.

• @DIPSET I played Inside and personally, the change at the end really soured the experience for me. But the one thing I really like about the game is how EVERYTHING is animated with no loading screens, with a great depth of background. How that game works on a technical level blows my mind.

@Exist-2-Inspire Ditto. I thought for SURE it wouldn't be top five. So I'm SUPER happy it'll be top three.

• @Brannox

It is such a well thought out game on the technical front. I am blown away too. But without derailing this thread, I'll spin it back to the topic of 2017.

We gotta play the games in the #25-11 range on our list here some point in 2018 because it'll probably change your outlook of this year in hindsight.