The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• @Brannox I honestly just think it's volume. No matter how well the Switch has been selling this year, there's still like nearly 80 million ps4s out there.

• Also, we all know that Breath of the Wild is only a 4 1/2 star game. hehe

• @TokyoSlim True, but regardless of quality of all games involved, I saw and heard more about Zelda and Mario over the last 10 months than I did Persona.

For example, more Zelda Switch cartridges were sold than actual Switches. Granted, the PS4 has a current 7 or 8 to 1 ratio to the Switch, but the Switch is the newest trendy thing and is more likely to start a conversation.

• @Brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!:

Zelda Switch cartridges were sold than actual Switches

I think this was true at zelda's launch, but isn't true any more.

• Zelda is my personal GOTY so I was a bit sad to not see it win, but like you guys said, there's simply way more PS4 owners in this community and overall than there are Switch owners. So it only makes sense that Knack 2 wins in the end because more people have access to it.

I just hope that by the time Metroid Prime 4 comes out, there will be 80 million Switch owners, so it can take its deserved crown!

• @Axel But then there'll be 800 million PS4 owners! Can't stop Knack 3 GOTY 2025

*This is my 2500th post. Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

• @TokyoSlim I used that as an example of Zelda's cache and not a comment on its current sales, so I agree with your point.

@Axel Hahahahahahahahaha

• Im a bit surprised about that. I've spoken enough on BotW though, I just can't stand it.

• Yesss the Horizon dream still lives! Persona would be pretty cool as well though, really surprising to me that Zelda did not win!

• this pleases me, not because of BoTW itself, but because of the implications of the remaining entries, I'll get to BoTW eventually once one of my friends lends me a copy :p

• This forum has been redeemed. I finished playing Persona 5 this year and got my vote changed just in time. I wonder how much it affected the results.

• Yes you are seeing it right, not even an HM, wouldn't even be in my Top 10, while not exactly a bad game in itself, unlike Mario Odyssey this is not the way I want to see future Zelda games to go. I enjoyed it at 1st but evetually got incredibly bored and annoyed by the lack of direction and the size, it's something I like to call Skyrim syndrome, same happened with Xenoblade X and I welcomed the smaller scale of Xenoblade 2. I'm going to say it, Skyward Sword is a better Zelda game.

• Interesting. I'm pretty surprised Zelda isn't in the top 2.

Just on the games I've played that have come up.

Yakuza Zero is an absolute blast. I had so much fun and it's so weird. Going from Cabaret mini games to the really serious and emotional tone of the story shouldn't work, we should be hearing about ludonarrative dissonance but for some reason I don't care and I absolutely love it. I can't wait to dig into the other games.

Nier: Automata - One of the last games I beat before the nominations. In the end, there were too many annoying things about the core game that bothered me to include it on my list but it has a really great story and some fantastic characters and moments. If you're playing it, I highly encourage that you beat up to Ending E. I really loved that.

Super Mario Odyssey - This is an intersting one for me. I had it in my honorable mentions, it's a great game but I have so many issues with it which I discussed in the topic. In the end, I just didn't really feel like this is a Mario game and while I had fun with it, it absolutely outstays it's welcome. I really hope the next game focuses more on Mario and cuts down on the collectables.

• Zelda's alright from what I played. Probably the only time I've enjoyed an empty open world, but I'm convinced that's mostly because I straight up ignored any attempt the game made at a story, turned off the HUD, and just spent the time I did play exploring and doing whatever I felt like doing.

That all said it's still just another empty open world game. Cool to play in but nothing that would ever be on my personal top games list. Especially not in a year with absolute whoppers coming out left and right like 2017. I honestly think the only reason it gets more GOTY nods than Mario Odyssey is because Odyssey came out later while people had more time to mull over Zelda. That or people just prefer open world games to platformers these days.

• I believe this is a result of this: https://youtu.be/xGOIQh08ktM?t=44m18s

• At least no one can say the forum votes are boring or totally predictable!

Funny story. I started playing Breath of the Wild basically the day after the voting closed for this. I think I've already put in about 100 hours since then. The only reason I put it off was that I knew it would end up consuming my life for the foreseeable future. It definitely would have bumped something off my list but I don't know that it would have placed higher than my #4 slot in the end. Still, I'm having a lot of fun playing it now even if I didn't play in time for the vote.

• I gave Zelda an honorable mention despite not playing it, because I loved watching others play it.

Now that I've played it, it would have been my #1, and that's saying something since I adore Persona 5. It is currently the only Switch game I own, and it has made the Switch worth owning. A huge departure from when I got the Wii U and regretted it immediately.
    I have never played a Zelda game before because they never interested me, never really liked that idea of dungeons and items specifically for certain uses. So BotW has been great for me. I don't think the world is empty, and it's fun coming up with my own way of doing things. Sure the story is... light, but I have fun just being in that world.

Also, I love Urbosa.

• @TokyoSlim said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!:

I don't have a switch, so did not vote on any Nintendo gaems

@Axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!:

there's simply way more PS4 owners in this community and overall than there are Switch owners.

I have a Switch and a Xbox and I voted only on PS4 and PC games. So it's not just ownership, it's personal tastes as well.

• Global Moderator

Told you Zelda would be number 3! :D

I havent played it, but it does look very interesting. Mainly has been from Damianis streams of it. I love the art style of it a lot and it has some really cool ideas. If I get a switch, this will be the first game I get for it.

• It'll be interesting to see how many #1 votes Persona has. That could be a long list.

But hey! Horizon's at least #2. Did not expect this, nice.