The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• Ok, I gots lots to say, so just keep on a-scrolling if ya hate me, or a BLOCK of text:

Ahem, ahem.

First: On Horizon, I absolutely LOVE this game and believe it or not, when it was first announced, I thought "cool, but I don't think it'll be for me." Primarily, I'm not a fan of open world games. Too big a space, too much to do, what there is to do, a lot of it is minutia, and so on. At E3 2016, THAT was the demonstration to give this game a shot.

I found everything in this game to be right up my ally. World, characters, story (ESPECIALLY the story), machines.... I think the two things about it that I wish were better was not placing pickups every 20 centimeters and some crafting to be obtuse in what the game asks for (animal parts primarily). But those are minor quirks in the grand scheme.

Second: I like to shoutout those who share an entry on a list so this is no different: So a big thanks to @FF7Cloud , @TokyoSlim, @SunPraiser, @Hidz, @Alex840, @Lux-Noctis, @jipostus, @Inustar, @ffff0, @Fridge-man, @tokeeffe9, @DOOM, @A7X458, @ib0show, @marv257, @jbluzb, and @bam541 for liking it enough to give it a nod or place.

But a SOLID high-five to @Lotias, @Sentinel-Beach, @Exist-2-Inspire, @Whiskeyjack, and @Faaip for sharing in my view that Horizon: Zero Dawn being the 2017 Game of the Year. Yous good people!

Third: On Persona. I cannot comment on what I don't know, therefore I must abstain beyond the simple statement of appreciation to all those who hold Persona in such high regard. Bravo to Persona 5, the EZA Forum's 2017 GAME OF THE YEAR!!!

Fourth: My list

1.) Horizon: Zero Dawn
    2.) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    3.) Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
    4.) Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

Honorable Mentions: Prey, Resident Evil VII: Biohazard, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Crash Bandicoot: The N'Sane Trilogy

I've commented enough in this thread about the games to make it, but a few quick words about the two that didn't:

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider is a great game and an excellent follow-up to Dishonored 2. While I'm not quite sure why many did not like or play the game, I'm more concerned, and sad for that matter, that many games under the Bethesda banner don't sell well. Maybe, in Dishonored's case, that style of game just isn't for a majority of people. I was hoping it's mid-September release coupled with it's short-ish length would prompt a few more people to try it, but oh well. There's always next year's games.

If the Honorable Mention system was not implemented, I would not have voted for the N'Sane trilogy. Don't get me wrong: That is THE definitive way to play those games and I LOVED nearly every second I spent in most of the levels. But that's a game (or rather, series of games) that has been released almost two decades ago. But Remasters/Remakes were eligible and despite not playing RE VII and being greatly disappointed in Andromeda, Crash Bandicoot was my last nomination as all eight of my picks were the ONLY 2017 releases I played/saw.

Fourth: Thank you so much @Axel for doing this kind of thing! I look forward to these threads a lot and I appreciate the initiative you take in organizing and showcasing our selections. I also really like the stats you posts. I'm really into the nerdy stuff like those breakdowns!

Fifth: Can this thread be moved to the Hall of Fame now? I believe it's worth it.

Sixth: @SabotageTheTruth FF VII is my favorite game of all time and I don't see it as "elite." That game, for all it does great, has flaws, some common to other games, and some unique to its own. I really enjoyed reading your take on Persona! Only wanted to say I respect your take and thank you for sharing!

• You wanna know something insane? Persona 5 wasn't really on my radar until a week or two after release. Like, I loved Persona 4 back in the day, but I figured it was just something that gelled with me since I was still in high school. While I've never been huge on RPGs, I was a lot more willing to give them a go back then, and I had more than enough time to sink into a game like that. These days not so much. The last time I sat down with a long, long game was when I was between jobs and even then it took me two months to finish it, playing for an hour or two almost every day. I knew Persona 5 was dropping, but I figured "eh, maybe someday I'll give it a look."

Then the dumbest thing happened. I saw a silly video on youtube and while I did laugh I was more caught off guard by how good the music was and how stylish the menus looked. I decided to look into Persona 5 a bit more (not enough to get spoiled on anything though) and decided I'd take the plunge since it seemed pretty cool. I'd actually already bought and shelved Tales of Berseria not long ago (while it was neat, I never really felt enough of a drive to continue) so I was prepared to enjoy my twenty hours of messing around and doing the first few months before it got stuck on my shelf never to be finished like so many other games.

About 80 hours and a month of my life later, I was finished. I would spend entire days just glued to the game, and I don't think I played a single other thing besides maybe a few matches of Rocket League in the interim. Despite my expectations I was still all aboard the Persona train almost eight years after playing 4 for the first time. It takes something really special to keep me glued that hard and between its utter mastery of its vibe and its wonderful characters and setting P5 did exactly that. The only reason it isn't my #1 is because of my sheer love for a good 2D Sonic game, and the only reason it's not my #2 is because it's tied with Gravity Rush 2 in my eyes.

• Now that you've all collectively decided on our list, here's the "correct" list. :p

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
    2. Tales of Berseria
    3. Yakuza 0
    4. Nioh
    5. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
    6. Gravity Rush 2
    7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    8. The Evil Within 2

I swear I had a 9 and 10, but I think the forum ate them.

• I like our list. Feels good.

• Somebody tell Ben!

• @ffff0 I tweeted it to EZA hq earlier

• Whaaaat. That really was an impressive amount of first place votes. And just points in general for P5. What a victory.

Great job for Horizon, too. Couldn't really have been a tougher fight for the second place. Such a good game, and such a nice surprise. I almost wasn't even interested in it still a day before, but then I saw the reviews, changed my mind, and it had absolutely everything I love in a video game.

• Almost everything is said already, so I'll keep it short:
    Horizon Zero Dawn – I love its story, world, main character, main music theme, combat, lore and photo mode. Beat it twice and Platinumed, will play more.
    Persona 5 – I love its story, characters, music, art design, tutorials and pacing. Beat it once, will play it second time in near future.

And here are my top 8 games from 2017:

1. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (my GotY)
    2. Persona 5
    3. Horizon Zero Dawn
    4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    5. Pyre
    6. Farpoint
    7. Gravity Rush 2
    8. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Side note: last year I’ve beat only 10 games from top 25. This year it’s 15. Nice.

• WOW! Domination by Persona! I'm kinda surprised actually. What I'm not surprised by is the fact that I have completely different taste from this community, Divinity placed really low, Rime didn't even make it on the list as well as 3 of my honorable mentions. Kinda depressing :(

My picks:

1. Divinity: Original sin 2
    2. Rime
    3. Nier: Automata
    4. What remains of Edith Finch

Honorable mentions:
    Assassin's creed: Origins, Kingdoms and castles, Spellforce 3, Absolver

• The true GOTY emerges! So glad Persona 5 won something. My 3rd favorite game of all time, i think about it daily pretty much, even though it's been 9-10 months since i finished it. It also hit me at the perfect time in my life, only adding to my love of this game. Great music, characters, story, combat, exploration and surprises every step of the way makes this #OneOfTheGreats. Also, Makoto best girl of all time.

• Congratulations to Persona 5. It looks like a wonderful game, I hope to one day play it!

I wanted to give mention to my Number 4 pick because it didn't place, and it's relatively little-known, which is a shame because it's wonderful. If you're a fan of the old LucasArts games like Maniac Mansion and Secret of Monkey Island then you'll enjoy this, a spiritual successor to the those point and click adventure games, made by the same developers, Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick.

It's a really cool looking game, and you should give the trailer a look. The game itself is on everything.

Thimbleweed Park

**#Not Placed. Thimbleweed Park **

Information

Release date: 30th March
    Developer: Terrible Toybox
    Publisher: Terrible Toybox
    Genre: Adventure Game
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, macOS, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Linux, Android, iOS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Glad Persona 5 won, such a great game! Still need to play HZD....I actually expected Zelda to win

• Here's mine
    1.Resident Evil VII
    2.Horizon Zero Dawn

1. Persona 5
    2. Injustice 2
      Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy
      Football Manager 2018
      Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
      Yakuza Kiwami

• the only game that i voted for that didnt appear was Trails in the sky the 3rd

• Prey
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Resident Evil VII
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Yooka-Laylee
    Syberia 3
    Super Mario Odyssey
    Nier Automata

That was my list. Personally, I'm not someone who cares if others share in my tastes, so I was neither pleased nor displeased to see my picks show up or not, I still enjoyed seeing what other people are into however, so I do hope people continue to post their full lists. Very surprised to not see Tales of Berseria show up though, and Life is Strange to be honest because the original LiS was so high on many lists of that year.

Horizon I beat this year, but was not very impressed. Persona I've left on the second dungeon I believe; I'll get back to it, but JRPG's like Xenoblade, Trails in the Sky and such are more up my alley than the Persona series, and that's always been the case.

• Here's my list. Not enough people played Dishonoured such a wonderful game. Although in Hindsight I would swap Xenoblade 2 for Horizon Zero Dawn.

1. Dishonoured. Death of the Outsider
    2. Persona 5
    3. Nier Automata
    4. Tales of Bersia
      Honourable Mentions
    5. Tokyo Xanadu EX
    6. Wolfenstien 2. The New Colossus
    7. Prey
    8. Xenoblade 2

• Global Moderator

Cool.. I really like this list. Horizon Zero Dawn was third on my personal list. As usual, I had some issues with it. Mostly that the main missions usually involved a serious lore dump and the side quests weren't that interesting necessarily but all that is forgiven when the setting is so cool, the robots are so well designed and the combat is so much fun. Facing a thunderjaw for the first time is just incredible.

As for Persona 5, I wish I posted about it a bit in the topic. I'm now 35 hours in and past the 3rd palace and I'm having a great time with it. I can see why it ended up at number 1.

And just on my list, I want to talk about the 2 games in it that didn't make this list and a game I've already talked about since sending it that would have been on it.

Night in the Woods - Honestly a little surprised it didn't get in. Just a really great coming of age game. I loved the cast of characters, the daily life you live and the music in particular.

Nex Machina - Ya, I knew this wouldn't make it but felt like I had to give it an honorable mention. It's an incredible twin stick shooter. Looks beautiful, super addictive and the end of the arcade era for Housemarque which makes me very sad. It's fantastic.

And finally Hollow Knight. I finished it a week or so after submitting lists and this game is incredible guys. Genuinely up there as one of the best metroidvania's I've played. The combat is satisfying, hitting things in the background feels satisfying. The score and sound design is incredible, npcs are full of charm and the game does a great job in adding challenge for players who want everything. I really loved it.

Anyway, thanks for all the hardwork @Axel, it was a lot of fun to follow along.

• Here was my list!

#1 Night in the Woods
    #2 What Remains of Edith Finch
    #3 Danganronpa V3
    #4 Yomawari: Midnight Shadows
    HM: Doki Doki Literature Club!
    HM: Super Mario Odyssey
    HM: Persona 5
    HM: Dino Frontier

The Persona 5 HM was because I only watched others play it, and I enjoyed the story but didn't feel right putting a game I didn't play any higher, but it looks like it didn't need my help at all!

I held out hope for a while of NitW getting in, but I know there wasn't much buzz about it on the forums and a lot of people were waiting for it on Switch. Now that it IS out on Switch though you should definitely be checking it out! Like @tokeeffe9 mentioned above, the highlight of the game is the eclectic cast, the way it captures the atmosphere of a small dying coal town, and the great music. It's a really neat game!

I voted for the first Yomawari game last year, so I knew the follow up wouldn't have a shot this year either but for me these have been perfect. I can't handle super intense horror games, but Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (And Night Alone) was just intense enough for me. Great blend of cute, creepy, and sad.

Dino Frontier is a total 7/10, and I knew being VR meant very few would have played it, but I had so much fun with this game. It is just the epitome of jolly. It's definitely just resource management at the core but the dinosaurs and the animations are so charming that it makes it fun regardless. Picking up and examining the little Dinos is very neat. If you haven't, you should at least check out Kyle playing it!

As always, thanks @Axel for doing all the legwork on this! It's so interesting to see just how things will play out every year!

• I had the following:

#1 Horizon Zero Dawn
    #2 Assassin's Creed Origins
    #3 South Park: The Fractured But Whole
    #4 Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

HM's were Tekken 7, Injustice 2, LIS: Before the Storm and Crash Bandicoot.

• Global Moderator

So my top 3 guess was correct then!

Thank you to everyone that voted and followed this list! Also an extra big thank you to @Axel for organising this whole thing!

I had Horizon as my number 1 game and Nier as my number two. Yet now when I actually have finished ending E in Nier I almost feel like that would of surpassed it. I almost need to go back to Horizon though as I loved that world and Aloy are my favourite character in a long long time.