The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• @Sazime I'm waiting for Minions Football Manager 2020. Or Rabbits COD.

• Assassin's Creed Origins

#20. Assassin's Creed Origins - 10 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #3: 1 (jbluzb)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Sazime, Nillend, Exist 2 Inspire)

Information

Release date: October 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Action-adventure, Stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I sleep

it's gonna take a lot to get my interest back

• another game ill get to eventually

• Origins seems like it didn't quite turn out the way I was hoping. Its been years since I played an AC game though.. so this is one I'd like to get to this year maybe

• I've played every mainline Assassin's Creed game. In most of them I was just doing main story, but in Origins I've completed every side quest and visited all regions. Also walking around old Egypt is fun and educational (I even showed a couple of places to my parents which I never do). Didn't make into my list, but it's very good.

• I've been playing every AC release, aside from Rogue (yet), and this is by far my favorite since AC II. It was just so nice to see an AC game that looked so different and had a story chock full of actual character development, rather than shoving historical fiction in our face at the expense of the character we were following through the game.

• I wanted to buy Origin but I think I'm finished with Assassin's Creed. The story no longer matters so I have no investment to the series any more.

• @ib0show Which is why this one works. The character development and story is separate from the overarching meta that has been leaned on for so long. It's there, but it feels waaaaay tertiary this time.

• Shame it didn't get more votes, but it made it into the top 20 in a great gaming year at least. My #2 game of the year. New favourite AC. I've written quite a lot in the game's own thread, no need to repeat everything. The world is simply mesmerizing and the details depicting both the surroundings visually and the ways of life story-wise really, really good and interesting. Loved the changes in the fighting system and all that, Bayek's a great character and the story works etc. It was/is simply a joy to play this game when it comes to the feeling of discovery.

• It has one of the most wonderful worlds I have ever seen in any game, simply walking around is a joy. Compared to it, other element simply aren't on par and perhaps that's the reason it didn't finish higher, even though I want it to. While it didn't wow me, I am satisfied with the numerous hours I've put into it and I will gladly return when the DLC comes out. Good on you Origins.

• @Sazime that honestly just makes it worse to me, I liked AC in the beginning because it seemed like it was trying to build an epic story spawning multiple generations, now it literally does one in whatever period of history seems cool, idk if they actually had grand plans in the beginning for story, but I don't want to support a franchise that had the potential for a great story wasted for the sake of annual (or biannual) installments

• I'm kind of surprised a little bit by Origins placing where it is. I thought it would come a little later. Anyway, another Assassin's Creed, another pass. I gave three separate entries a shot: 1 because of the premise that ultimately fell flat for me, 3 because the prospect of playing from a Native American's point of view during the Revolution seemed awesome (and then I played the game), and 4 for simply being a pirate, but in all instances, the modern day stuff was such a bother and in 4's case, the story near the end started to go a little off the rails.

I don't believe Assassin's Creed will capture my interest again, but I respect the fact Ubisoft seemed to learn its lesson from Unity and not shove these out every year.

• I had the same problem with AC origins as I did with Horizon & Skyrim. Amazing worlds with boring writing & Characters. What's the point with all that lore without a compelling story. Although Horizons combat was amazing but I'm sure we'll comment on that in more depth later.

• @bard91 Oh it still places itself on the multi-generational part of things, what I'm saying is it doesn't spend too much time going to the story in the future, it focuses primarily on the story in the past.

• @Sazime whether or not it is still connected to the story is not the point, is that the story has been driven to the ground and made an afterthought for the sake of making more games, leaving to the side any interest there may have been at first to tell a planned story from the beggining, whether or not that was their intention I have no way of knowing but when I finished AC1 and 2 I had hope that was what they were aiming for, clearly that is not the case anymore (if it ever was) and as such I have zero reasons to care.

• Sonic Mania

#19. Sonic Mania - 12 points

Votes

#1: 1 (DeweyDTruman)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (ACardAttack)
    #4: 0
    HM: 4 (Billy, Hidz, FerrisK96, Tearju Engi)

Information

Release date: August 15 [US/EU]
    Developer: PagodaWest Games, Headcannon
    Publisher: Sega
    Genre: Platform, Action
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Out of the year of dreams in 2017, there's only one new release I played that I didn't have a great time with... Sonic Mania. Cool tunes though!

• If I'm gonna be honest I think a lot of people say games are 10 outta 10s that they know in their heart of hearts are really like 8.5 outta 10s just because of their personal attachment to the series or developer or what have you, and I'll admit Mania's that for me, but damn man even looking at it objectively there's no other game I was this excited for in 2017 and there was no other game that personally delivered this hard in 2017. I mean, I'm still playing it. I still watch that pre-order trailer sometimes. Even if something else I played was better, it simply didn't matter more to me than Mania did.

• Personally, I never have understood the appeal in Sonic. I need a proper education on the matter, so I cannot comment on the IP beyond saying I have always had disinterest in both the character and gameplay. However, this year was a perfect microcosm with a megaphone to Sega:

Let the fans of the franchise make what they want and the supposed "Sonic team" apparently doesn't know what fans are looking for (if not higher-ups dictating to said team on how to make the game, then the blame is on them) and should be regulated to other projects. 2D Sonic works. 3D doesn't. End of story.