The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2017!

• Ooh boy, what can I say, early Sonic games means alot to me, it was one of the games that got me introduced to gaming. As amazing this year was, it was rough not putting Sonic Mania higher on my list. This game reminded me why I love Sonic so much and it was a dream come true after they constantly released mediocre Sonic titles. Sonic Mania also gives me hope that we'll see more old SEGA titles getting the mania treatment in the future.

Also, the Pre-Order trailer still brings a tear to my eye.
    Sonic Mania Pre-Order Trailer

• @SabotageTheTruth Could you give me like a single sentence of why you think that is? I honestly can’t imagine someone not having a good time with this game...

@Brannox I am of the persuasion that 3D Sonic can definitely work. Not everyone feels that way, but I adore the two Sonic Adventures. But yeah, Mania was of a different caliber than recent 3D attempts.

• I'm not very interested in 2D sonic games, but this one got my attention somehow. Haven't played it though, lots of games to finish first.

• Another game on my backlog. Played it at a friends, great game.

• @Brannox I feel the same, I never understood the appeal of Sonic, even the old 2D ones. To me there's this inherent contradiction between trying to blaze through a level as fast as possible and exploring it to find secrets. As soon as you slow down, the controls feel wrong and sluggish to me, and the level design has never felt interesting enough to warrant it. I just don't get it, never will, but I'm glad the fans seemed to love it!

• I didn't have time to comment on Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle over the weekend, but I'm really glad it made the Top 25! I was hoping it'd place even higher, but that was unrealistic considering the amount of Switch owners on the forum.

I loved this game! On any other year it would have made my top 3.

I found the rabbids tolerable, even funny (!!), although the humor faded a bit near the end. The gameplay is refreshing, very simple to understand but with enough customization and strategic options to feel involved at all times. The level of challenge often felt just right, and I had fun "perfect"-ing every stage and completing all the extra challenges. All I got left to do are the final 4 ultimate challenges but those are a bit too daunting.

I even gave the local competitive mode a shot last week with a buddy and I was impressed by the work they put in, there's a lot of depth in there, potentially hours and hours of extra gameplay for the hardcore. We'll probably try the coop levels too pretty soon!

I'll get the Donkey Kong expansion on day one for sure, and hopefully there will be a sequel too!

• Is this game extremely hard, or am i just a scrub? This is my first sonic game and i couldn't finish the 4th world, i tried over and over and had to quit it in the end.

• @Axel Any reason why these are so slow to go up? I think it’d be way better just posting them all at once, or at least do 5 a day.

• @Alex840 I like current format. It gives us time to reflect and discuss.

• @Axel I think that contradiction is the very thing, gameplay wise, that is my biggest hangup, but I agree: People are happy and the game is good. That's all that matters.

@Alex840 This is the same format that's been used in the previous GOTY threads and the communal top 100 games threads. I think the more entries, the more entrants at once at first, but as we head near the top, the slow reveals, and most importantly for me, the various thoughts from everyone give each entry time to be seen and either lauded or reviled. It's all great fun.

• @SunPraiser It definitely had its challenging parts, but I maintained momentum through to the end and only got a couple game-overs. I think it comes down to raw experience with platformers if its type. I have put in a lot of time with them over the years, even though I have never finished a 2D Sonic game before this one. It’s a skill set that just takes time to develop, but it’s extremely rewarding in the end. Judging by your username, you know all about that addictive sense of accomplishment. Platformers are the purist form of gaming for me, and few things make me happier.

• @SunPraiser I didn't think it was that hard outside of one of the special stages and one of the bosses as Knuckles (due to his lower jumping height) but then again I've been playing these games for almost 20 years now.

• @Alex840 Yeah the idea is to post one a day to let people who voted for the game explain why they loved it, give every game its moment in the sun.

• Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

#18. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony - 14 points

Votes

#1: 1 (ffff0)
    #2: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 1 (logic__error)
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (bard91, michemagius)

Information

Release date: September 26 [US], September 29 [EU]
    Developer: Spike Chunsoft
    Publisher: Spike Chunsoft
    Genre: Adventure, Visual novel
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• Man, I guess I really need to play some Danganronpa.

• Danganronpa is something not for me but I respect that those who love it really sing its praises. I can't say much more beyond I'm curious about the series future. I'm sure like Persona, more people will be exposed to it and it get more popular and exposure as time goes on.

• As far as I understand, Danganronpa is sort of similar to Ace Attorney, right? Then I'd probably enjoy it too, I might give it a shot after clearing my backlog a bit.

• Didn't see that one coming. I have 1 & 2 on my PS4 hard drive. Makes me more excited to get stuck into them.

• @Axel can't really say since I have no experience with Ace Attorney (certainly not for lack of interest), but based on the premise I would imagine it ain't too different.

Now on to V3 I have to say that while I did like the ending a lot and I like what it does with the series overall I was begging for it to end, these games just go on for too long and I feel that has a big effect on my enjoyment of them.

• Wow! I didn't expect it to make into Top 25. Thanks to everyone who voted!

It's my GotY, because only with Danganronpa V3 I’ve got completely new understanding of game events when on next day I’ve thought about one image I saw during ending credits. This is the first time I was surprised after exiting the game, and I have to crown that. Also, soundtrack, art design, characters and story are all great.

It's hard to recommend such game to everyone, but if you interested, it's worth checking out. Also there is a free demo if you not sure (that's how I got into the series).