Gaming Unpopular opinion thread

• I still have strong memories of how highly and consistently praised Half-Life 2 was during its time because I too bristled against that opinion. I think HL2 is 'okay', although at the time I disliked it a lot more for feeling like it represented the opposite direction of the FPS genre that I wanted.

• Played through the entirety of HL2 recently and completely disagree. Shit was massively ahead of it's time in almost every regard. Still controls amazingly, still have a fantastic story and characters, and with the updates it has recieved over the years still looks pretty good.

Also agree about Bioshock being a clunker.

• @gageblackw23 I agree with DQ plots, I don't remember anything about 8's really but I know I enjoyed the game, 11 was so unintestesting that I had zero interest in keeping going even 20 hours, but like you said I think that is an incorrect approach to the series for the most part.

I don't think it is controversial to say that games stories are not as advanced as profound as those you can find in other mediums, for various reasons, but I would definitively say there's a lot of interesting stuff you can find if you look for it, but particularly in the popular games I don't believe is a good place to look for interesting narratives.

• I think I'm in the middle here. I played Half Life 2 when it first came out at a friend's house and later on the PS3 Orange Box. I do remember it looking really good on PC at the time (the water!) but I always found the game to be good, not great. I can't deny the joy of gravity gun + saw blade though.

• @bard91 Yeah, to me, nothing about Dragon Quest is complex or thought-provoking but I think that is mostly by design. I feel like Square, at least since the merger, looks at DQ as for those who love classic RPGs and just want that updated and repackaged each time while FF is where they constantly take risks and see what they can do with the formula while still identifying the game as an RPG.

Dragon Quest is THE game you play when you come home on a rainy day, take off your soaking wet socks and jeans, throw on some sweats, surround yourself with snacks and beverages and climb under a blanket and play until life must be done again.

• @e_zed_eh_intern that's probably a correct take, I just personally wasn't able to take it that way and just found it boring overall. My loss I guess.

• @bard91 Oh, sorry, I totally didn't mean to sound like "you're doing it wrong" - was just giving my take. I get it not working for people who want more story.

• @e_zed_eh_intern lol no need to apologize, I got what you meant, I just don't find the games efective in that way but clearly other people do, so that's why I think it is on me.

• @e_zed_eh_intern neither can I. The gravity gun plus buzzsaw was still fun but it’s not enough to make the game one of the greatest. I rage quit that game because I was tired of putting up with its bullshit and the all around slog.

• There's is no contraversal opinions. Unless you're some kind of scumbag. Everyone has different tastes. That's a good thing.

• @paulmci27

I feel like somebody saying something like, “All video games with female protagonists suck because it’s better to play as males” is probably a controversial and unpopular opinion no matter your tastes.

Just sayin

• @dipset That's not Unpopular. Just really silly. And things are going to get for everyone for all of us. I hope!!!!!