Gaming Unpopular opinion thread

• @ffff0

Yeah I feel that with the headphones. It sounds obnoxious. But I bought a PS4 early and I found it severely lacking compared to PS3. The media features went out the window. There wasn't anything worthwhile exclusive to play until Bloodborne in 2015. At least Switch has a few excellent titles already.

IDK early adopting is hit or miss imo.

• Fuck yeah, I love trashing everything I don't love. Here we go.

• Breath of the Wild is not impressive and maybe it's going to ruin the franchise for me due to its popularity and thus demand for more of this boring "good-enough"-ness.

• BioShock Infinite proves why you should never, EVER listen to journalists and their knee-jerky scores.

• Resident Evil, contrary to koolaid opinionated people, has good writing under its belt, like in RE2. It's not actually bad, it's just not complex or psychologically in-depth and it doesn't need to be. You know who the good guys are and you know who the bad guys are, Leon goes from pedestrian cop to a hero, and screw you.

• Mass Effect 3's ending controversy overshadowed how generally disappointing that game was (although, not saying it's a bad game by any stretch)

• Witcher 3 vs Inquisition is a bit blown out of proportion, as DA:I still had redeeming qualities that Witcher didn't even attempt to include.

• Witcher 3 is a masterpiece but its plot was a let-down for anyone who played 2 and liked it.

• Uncharted 4 is not even a good game.

• I did not enjoy Red Dead Redemption beyond the final chapter of its story at all. Narrative is good, but the game stinks.

• The Last of Us is responsible for a lot of increasing pretension among the AAA developers nowadays, thinking everything is more mature and artsy because it is dark and depressing and forcefully emotional.

• Firewatch's ending and reactions to it is a great example of gamer-mentality and illiteracy among them. I'm pretty sure if I had brought up this game in text-form at a literature class people would've agreed the ending was a very good conclusion and that the final moments tie up the lingering threads very well.

• I don't understand what's so good about Gone Home but from reactions I gather people give it a pass for pandering to inclusivity and diversity because as a coming of age plot or as a story about identity it's painfully straightforward with little to no twists. It's basically a story that's broken like a shattered mirror and you just pick up the pieces and from the halway mark you go "Oh, it's this thing that happened, right?" and then the ending simply reveals you were right on the money. It depicts its characters and setting realistically but c'mon, that's not all a story is.

• Pixel art sidescrollers are a thing of a past and people should just move on instead of gushing all over them.

• @Nillend

Examples?

• @Nillend recntly i've played Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, Iconoclasts, the Mummy Demastered and Sonic Mania. All of them are great pixel-art sidescrollers. I don't see how it's a thing of the past? I think pixel-art for indie devs in particular are great, 3d models on a low budget can easily look really bad.

• The new God of War sequel looks great and I can't wait to play it, but this orange blood is so off putting to me that I don't know if I'll gain the same satisfaction I had playing at all times in the other games. The second to second brutality seems unintentionally more cartoony with all of this orange blood I'm seeing. I found Kratos' ridiculously heightened violent actions in past games to somehow be less cartoony than what I'm seeing now.

• @linkenski said in Gaming Unpopular opinion thread:

Fuck yeah, I love trashing everything I don't love. Here we go.

• Resident Evil, contrary to koolaid opinionated people, has good writing under its belt, like in RE2. It's not actually bad, it's just not complex or psychologically in-depth and it doesn't need to be. You know who the good guys are and you know who the bad guys are, Leon goes from pedestrian cop to a hero, and screw you.

I noticed that people started saying RE had a bad story or never had good writing when internet critics on Youtube started popping up. IE MovieBob or Korey (from Spill.com, now Double Toasted). Now I like Korey, but I disagreed with him on this, and MB I used to like, but for all the latter's talk about how you can make a good idea out of anything, he sure seem to shit on people for thinking a good RE could be done. But I am getting a bit off topic. Honestly, the only time the writing was only insulting at its worse was RE Gaiden (non-canon) and some parts of RE 6.

• @Sheria I tend to agree that a game's generally don't age, but it is definitely not true that no games age. Perfect Dark is one of my favorite games of all time, but the frame rate is undeniably bad, though I never noticed it when it first came out. Mario 64 on the other hand seems somehow ageless. There are aspects that do feel old or barebones, for instance, the lack of detail in a level like the Invisible Cap level. These days there would be no such level. It would have all sorts of extra graphics in it. I would have to say it's the same principle as DOOM; the lack of frivolous detail allows your mind to freely imagine and immerse itself in the game.

• I think that some games do actually look better at 30 frames as opposed to 60.
    Like Shadow of the Colossus. At 30 the movement of everything feels very weighty, while at 60 the animations lose some of that weight.
    My fiance and I noticed it the other day while we were playing Knowledge is Power on my Pro. When we played it on my regular PS4 the lower framerate actually sorta helped the stop motion aesthetic of the, but when we played it on the Pro, it just felt off because everything was so smooth.

• Mario has slippery controls -> 2D Mario games just aren't that fun to play
    • Dualshock's 1-3 are among the worst controllers ever made (4 is among the best tho)
    • Final Fantasy X is by far the worst in the series and one of the biggest disappointments of my life
    • I can suspend my disbelief when it comes to magic, but even the thought of Cloud lifting the buster sword is so ridiculous I can't take FFVII seriously
    • Castlevania IV is the best Castlevania game
    • Hollow Knight is best metroidvania game
    • Story of Metal Gear is so complicated it resembles more of a parody of a video game story than an actual video game story
    • Video game writing as a whole is sub par compared to other mediums
    • On higher difficulties Witcher 3 combat is far better than people give it credit for
    • The Last Guardian winning the EZA GOTY was among the worst things I have ever seen
    • Uncharted 1 & 2 have aged horribly and the combat in those games is laughable
    • Uncharted is wildly inconsistent with whimsical adventure and straight up murder fest
    • Compared to any PC FPS, Goldeneye was trash
    • Duke Nukem 3D is the best FPS, and Duke is genuinely funny as a parody of 80's action heroes turned up to 11
    • PUBG is not that good of a game, (6/10 barely) but it's still consistently fun to play
    • Games media/reviewers know so little about tech and care so little about performance it's insulting

And the big one:

• Western D&D style RPG's (like Divinity II or Pillars of Eternity) are better designed games than JRPG's

• @CoCage Did he say this about the games or the movies though? Cuz, the movies are baaaad.

• @Marketplace_DC said in Gaming Unpopular opinion thread:

Final Fantasy X is by far the worst in the series and one of the biggest disappointments of my life

0_1517767691088_1502572324026.jpg

• @Sage-Of-Thyme said in Gaming Unpopular opinion thread:

@Sheria I tend to agree that a game's generally don't age, but it is definitely not true that no games age. Perfect Dark is one of my favorite games of all time, but the frame rate is undeniably bad, though I never noticed it when it first came out. Mario 64 on the other hand seems somehow ageless. There are aspects that do feel old or barebones, for instance, the lack of detail in a level like the Invisible Cap level. These days there would be no such level. It would have all sorts of extra graphics in it. I would have to say it's the same principle as DOOM; the lack of frivolous detail allows your mind to freely imagine and immerse itself in the game.

I can't quite understand why you never noticed when it first came out. Not only was it very noticeable in general, but it's not even like it was a standard back then, as many a game, including a lot of shooters such as quake and doom, had better framerates.

What's important though is that despite its frame rate, it still became one of your favourite games of all time. That's not going to happen if the frame rate is truly game-changing.

Can a game be improved, technically? Of course it can, even games released yesterday can potentially be polished somehow; what matters to me though is if it's a necessity, because if it's not necessary, then its not really making it a better game, in the same way that a Blu-ray version of a film doesn't suddenly make it a better film.

• @Sheria Goldeneye with mouse and keyboard is still amazing. The performance and control method are really the only things that have aged.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Gaming Unpopular opinion thread:

@Sheria Goldeneye with mouse and keyboard is still amazing. The performance and control method are really the only things that have aged.

I'll agree that there's maybe some more responsive and more precise controls now available, but I'll always argue as to their necessity. Goldeneye was designed around the N64 controller and whatever limitations it may have had. I've personally played Perfect Dark on Xbox One. and it's very clear to me that the game wasn't designed with the level of control available here.

• Piracy is wrong and downloading illegal copy isn't any better than stealing a disk from the store.

• @linkenski They both said the writing and story about the movies and games are bad. Both of their argument boiled down to say if the writing of the games are all bad then the writing of the movies will be bad. No ifs, ands,or buts. While it is true the writing for the movies are all horrible, it's only because they're in the hands of somebody that we need does not care. What Korey, Bob and other critics seem to not know, nor care, or forget is that the first Resident Evil movie was going to be more like the first game. George A Romero even had the script mostly identical to the first game. The only thing he had change was making Chris Redfield part Native American. But for some reason the executives in the movie studios did not get the story or video games in general so they threw his script out. And Capcom was okay with this. So they have some blame in the matter too. The fact that they kept letting these movies run did not help.

• Blackcell/Diesel has been a highly important and entertaining part of the GT/EZA community, for close to a decade now actually.

• @Sheria said in Gaming Unpopular opinion thread:

Blackcell/Diesel has been a highly important and entertaining part of the GT/EZA community, for close to a decade now actually.

Thankyou my friend, but it seem like most of time you agree with my views even since GT days. right sher?

theres very few people think the witcher 3 suck. as majority believe its masterpiece lol. you also didnot liked TW3.

• Final Fantasy can only be done right if Sakagouchi is working on it
    Demon's souls is the best souls game
    Last of us is a 7/10 game only the story sets it apart as its a average 3rd person shooter with horror elements
    Star fox zero is a good game
    open world games are overrated
    final fantasy 8 has the best music in the series
    Falcom is the best japanese developer right now